News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Attaching EZ track

Started by kdgrant6, February 17, 2015, 11:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

This is my first layout.  I am running it to without the EZ firmly attached just make sure that's the way I want it.

My question is: do you glue down EZ track, or do you permanently attach it at all? 

My layout is on a 4x8 train table.  The underlayment is a 1 inch sheet of Owens Corning foam. 

I have Woodland Scenics 3% inclines, which are pinned now, but I plan on gluing them to the foam sheet.

Can I just pin the track (a 2" foam pin on each side of the inclines at intervals)?

I can use 1" finishing nails to press into the foam on the track that is not on inclines.

I would welcome ideas.

Thanks.

kdgrant6

Let me add that I plan to ballast the track eventually. (I'm sure some will think: lots of luck on that).

jbrock27

I have read of people using low temp hot glue and also adhesive caulk, to secure EZ track to foamboard.

Don't know how it will look or what kind of luck you will have ballasting the track right on the foam board.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

So the moral of the story is "Don't use EZ track."

Actually, I've seen videos about adding ballast to EZ track.  Maybe it was trick photography, but the results looked pretty good.

Len

Ballasting EZ-Track uses the exact same techniques as for sectional/flex track on cork. The only difference is the roadbed is plastic instead of cork. And the same issues of keeping ballast clear of switch points and guardrails on switches and crossings apply.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Don't know how it will look or what kind of luck you will have ballasting the track right on the foam board.

My mistake.  When I wrote this part of my reply, I had in my mind, that you were using non-roadbed style track, probably as in my own mind, it would not occur to me to ballast EZ track.  My brain fart, my bad. 

I know that people have successfully ballasted EZ track.  I am sure it can look nice.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

I've just now seen these comments from Jim and Len.

Thanks to both of you.

I have a good many steps between where I am now and ballasting the EZ Track. 

the Bach-man

Dear KD,
I used indoor/ outdoor carpet tape to secure both the Woodland Scenic risers and EZ tTrack on the last display I built. You can see it in last year's On30 Annual.
It holds amazingly well, but track can be removes if necessary.
Try it!
the Bach-man

kdgrant6

What a good idea!

Is it available from Home Depot/Lowe's?

trainmainbrian

Quote from: kdgrant6 on February 26, 2015, 07:02:41 AM
What a good idea!

I think Code 100 Flex Track 3 foot sections available @ many hobby shop's on cork road bed is BEST... Or WS Road Bed Products...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Len

Quote from: kdgrant6 on February 26, 2015, 07:02:41 AM
What a good idea!

Yes. Also available from almost anyplace selling carpet.

Len

kdgrant6

I did a quick search of Lowe's and Home Depot.  Lowe's has 42' rolls of 1.44" wide Shurtape.  That appears to be a good width for making both the Woodland inclines stick to the foam and the EZ Track stick to the inclines.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=256904-14510-282640&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50037492&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

kdgrant6

I thought I'd reply to this old thread in hopes that it could help someone who wonders about attaching track to foam board.  After taking time to develop the plan for my expanded layout, using ideas gleaned from this forum, I've begun locking the EZ Track, Woodland Scenics inclines, and the flex track-on-cork into place.  This expansion nearly doubles the size of the original 4x8 sheet.

The Shur-tape from Lowe's that I mentioned above works great.  I attached it to the Owens-Corning 1" foam board, then pressed the inclines in place.  Very sturdy.  Mr. Bach Man says you can detach things if you choose to make a change.  Lots of luck detaching the inclines.  That's really tough.  I had to adjust one 2' section soon after I had pressed it in place.  It was really tough getting it up from the tape. 

I haven't moved any EZ Track, but that should be easier since the contact points on the track aren't continuous.

After watching videos, I plan to ballast all of this--the EZ Track and the Atlas C100.   I'll use gray ballast, but I'm not sure which shade.  RR's in our section of the country use a very light shade.  Any ideas?

I plan to paint the Midwest cork road bed a medium gray before I nail down the track.  Doing so should allow for easier ballasting.

the Bach-man

Dear KD,
I meant you can remove the track. Removing foam? Fuggetaboutit! When I foung that the 5' x 9' board would not fit through my basement door I tried to pry the sections apart to no avail, and had to start over.
But I'm still sold on the tape (and have apparently convinced J Brock!)...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Len

If you want to be able to remove foam, low temp hot melt glue is about the only option. Use it in dabs, not long beads, and you should be able to pop it with a putty knife.

Len