UNION PACIFIC passenger car #328

Started by Madjack, March 09, 2015, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Whoa! Didn't notice the "Sold Individually" to the left of the picture. He must have broken the packages down, because I bought some when IHC was still around and the plastic trucks, 6-wheel and 4-wheel, came in a two pack.

For that price you could get complete cars here: http://www.ustrainco.com/Passenger-Cars-Heavyweight.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Additionally like I said before replacing the trucks will not solve your problems, that is only the beginning of your problems. You will definitely also need to add 3-4 ounces of lead to the floor of each car to make them track correctly and not constantly derail.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: ACY on March 12, 2015, 01:01:36 PM
Additionally like I said before replacing the trucks will not solve your problems, that is only the beginning of your problems. You will definitely also need to add 3-4 ounces of lead to the floor of each car to make them track correctly and not constantly derail.

ACY,
I would say adding more weight to his problem would make it fall over at a stand still unlike his leaning problem.
He needs to fix the leaning issue before he adds weight. Most of my passenger cars have not been weighted YET and I have no issues with them derailing or leaning.

Len

The 6-wheel trucks solve the falling over standing still problem. Unlike the 4-wheel trucks, there's a "hump" over the center wheel that minimizes the gap between the car and truck. It keeps the car from tipping too far and falling over on it's own.

Once that's fixed, yes a bit of extra weight does improve the tracking.

Len

Madjack

Thank You again LEN for your advice i will see if i can find some new trucks. for now i guess i'll just pack them back away!

ACY

Quote from: Jerrys HO
ACY,
I would say adding more weight to his problem would make it fall over at a stand still unlike his leaning problem.
He needs to fix the leaning issue before he adds weight. Most of my passenger cars have not been weighted YET and I have no issues with them derailing or leaning.
I am not saying he should not also replace the trucks. You will have to take my word for it regarding the additional weight required. The IHC passenger cars are roughly 4 ounces below the NMRA recommended weight. I have recently done quite a bit of work on mine, including body mounting kadee couplers, installing metal wheels, and I added 3-4 ounces of lead on the floor of each car which also lowers the center of gravity which helps keep them from tipping over. As I am sure most of you know it is important to add the weight as low as possible for best results. You are correct that if the weight is added higher it will infact exacerbate the problem. However once the trucks are replaced with the correct 3 axle trucks and potentially the plastic bolster pins replaced with screws optionally, the added weight infact (provided it lowers the center of gravity) will be of great benefit because the IHC cars will wobble and tip over or derail quite frequently from my experience with out the added weight. If you would like to see some video evidence to support my claim, I can try to arrange that.

Len

Like I said earlier, I agree with ACY. Once the correct trucks are installed, adding weight will improve tracking. I've got a bunch of these, from the days when I couldn't afford better, and could never quite bring myself to get rid of them.

I like to pop the wheels out and put 1/4oz A-Line 'peel & stick' weights between the center and outside axles. Some trimming of the weight may be needed on the coupler end. I use 1/2oz weights stuck to the inside of the center beams for the rest. Hold them in place, mark them, and cut them down so they don't stick out past the center beam. Use them in pairs, one on each side, to maintain balance.

Len