News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An idea for the Bach Man

Started by Trainman203, April 16, 2015, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I really wish that both of the Spectrum 4-6-0's would come back, but apparently they cost too much to produce.  So, could these beautiful engines be offered as standard line  items?  What would it take?

Maybe only provide the level of detail of the Alco  mogul, ie leave off all the seperately applied pipes, brake shoes, under the cab  brake gear, operable cab window sash, and not blackening the running gear.  BUT, offer all these detail items together as a seperately sold super detail package.  The labor cost of detailing would be saved and the people that want it could have it, installing it themselves.  The injector and related piping are one casting in particular that would be very easy for the modeler to apply.  The whistle and pop valves too. 

And provide an  "available" (car dealer talk) plug and play sound value system like the EM 1.

How about it Yardmaster?  What about the idea  of seperately sold, separately applied detail  packages for the modeler?  Couldn't some of the beautiful discontinued for cost Spectrum engines be stripped down and offered as standard line items, with available detail packages  packages?

ACY

This is not likely since most people would not like the idea of having to apply all the detail parts themselves, most people want instant gratification these days. Bachmann is in business to make money at the end of the day, so they can't meet the specific needs and desires of every individual customer. Bachmann industries has always produced products that they feel will appeal to the majority of their customers and that are financially sound. The nature of their company is that being that their niche is in mass production, they cannot cater to every individual customer, while they try to incorporate ideas that customers share with them, it is not always feasible to implement those ideas for one reason or another, usually with cost being the prohibitive factor.

electrical whiz kid

At this point, I think it would cost more to do what you say than to leave things status quo...
SGT C.

Trainman203

How could reissuing an engine and leaving the detail off cost more?

Len

Personally, I'd rather see a Spectrum quality 2-6-2 w/sound. AT&SF had a bunch of them, as well as several dozen lumber & paper companies that used standard gauge to make interchange with the regular railroads easier.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I'd like a light "logging" 2-6-2 Baldwin catalog engine that was everywhere.  Big 2-6-2 's like the AT&SF had were relatively uncommon.  The only other roads with them I can think of were the NP and the Q. 

I saw a couple of the light ones still running on an Arkansas short line  in the 60's.  They are right up my alley.  I'd like one or two right now.

But ..... They already have the 4-6-0 tooling.  All the Bach Man has to do is make  a run without the Spectrum separately  applied detailing, and sell a detail package separately to those like me who want it.  Without sound is fine even though I'd like it.  I think it's a good idea.  But judging from the underwhelming response not many else do.

ACY

Although you might think your proposition would save them money and be a wise business proposition, it turns out that this is not necessarily the case. On a simplified level some one might think the way you are thinking but when you do a more in depth analysis of your proposition, it becomes clear that the costs are in fact not mimimized for a wide variety of reasons and obviously because of this the likelihood that Bachmann actually produces the model as you have described is virtually zero. It is a good idea and I can see where you were coming from, but unfortunately it would be cost prohibitive.
Even if it was cheaper, manufacturers much prefer to sell completely assembled models for a greater profit margin than to sell products otherwise with a smaller profit margin and on top of that the greater majority of consumers in this hobby today prefer completed models to those that require assembly vor aren't "ready to run." So the combination of this really kills any hopes for your idea.
I prefer to do the assembly myself and save money, but people like me and you are few and far between in today's society and that may prove to be a great detriment to this hobby but at the end of the day everyone is just concerned with time and money.

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 17, 2015, 10:36:23 PM
I'd like a light "logging" 2-6-2 Baldwin catalog engine that was everywhere.  Big 2-6-2 's like the AT&SF had were relatively uncommon.  The only other roads with them I can think of were the NP and the Q. 

I saw a couple of the light ones still running on an Arkansas short line  in the 60's.  They are right up my alley.  I'd like one or two right now.

Considering how many layouts have some type of logging/lumber/paper industry on them, you'd think doing a really good light 2-6-2 would be a "no brainer". Even my KL&B museum layout has a paper box factory.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

As a successful businessman, I will say that anyone who cannot understand the how and why for what ACY says, should give it a lot more thought than they did.  As an electrical contractor, I am constantly told I charge too much, We electricians are crooks, et al, ad nauseum.  OK; go do it yourself.  See what it costs to do that operation.  NOW...  we see the mechanics Bachmann and others are facing.  It  isn't so much the raw material that is the cost factor-it is the labour to change procedure, technique, etc. 
I often wonder just how many of the people who make ill-thought out bone-headed comments are "college educated". 
SGT C.

rogertra

Why don't Bachmann simply raise the selling prices of the 4-6-0s?

People are still willing to pay for a quality product such as the 4-6-0s.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

The point I was trying to make in the first place...  Is that once a production is setup, the cost of dies, assembly, etc is already figured in, and it simply would not make sense to make significant changes in the dies, etc.  If it is going to cost as much if not more to make the kind of changes you suggest-and not come up with a significant positive profit, then why bother?
At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am about lots of stuff), what is a "g-rated" forum?
SGT C.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on April 29, 2015, 09:10:35 PM
I would be willing to guess that Bachmann has utilized sales data and conducted research to determine the viability of increasing their prices of various products to maximize profit margins. One factor is that the individual retailers (hobby shops et al) may not be too keen on this idea because it would minimize their room for profit and thereby jeopardize the overall sustainability of their business. So perhaps they polled major retailers on increasing the prices of certain products and found out they were not in favor with this. Bachmann generally is one of the most affordable manufacturers of model trains, so if they were to increase prices further that would put them in direct competition with manufacturers that are at a higher price point such as Mike's Train House or Broadway Limited for example. Bachmann is more of a mass production type manufacturer as opposed to offering limited runs of higher end pieces. Obviously there is a lot of thought behind every business decision Bachmann makes, and any of the above concerns outlined above as well as other possible issues make your idea ill-advised at this point in time.

Now if you would be willing to pre-order say a couple thousand of the 4-6-0's at a higher price point, then you may be able to get them produced as you desire, but you would be looking at a one million dollar investment of course.

Anyways on a more serious note, hopefully this sheds some light on the possible problems with implementing your suggestion.

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: rogertra on April 29, 2015, 09:10:35 PM

People are still willing to pay for a quality product such as the 4-6-0s.

Cheers

Roger T.

Shhhhhhh, Roger...
(Don't give 'em any more ideas than they have already...)

electrical whiz kid