News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train falls from bridge

Started by Jerrys HO, April 27, 2015, 10:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

What a disaster today in New Orleans. Winds were clocked at 111mph and knocked cars off elevated span.....
http://ktla.com/2015/04/27/incredible-video-captures-train-being-blown-off-elevated-bridge-during-storm-in-new-

what a mess and that was in a commercial area. I don't know if it landed on any buildings or cars yet.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Winds weren't quite that high..............

"The storms, with winds up to 70 miles per hour (113 kph), moved quickly toward the east across the southern third of Louisiana before heading out to the Gulf of Mexico, National Weather Service meteorologist Frank Revitte said"

Sid

jbrock27

If a train falls off a bridge and there is no one around, does it make a noise? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

GN.2-6-8-0

What's strange to me was the way the car with the camera backed out of a parking spot to park in the street like he knew something was going to happen.....just really strange!!
Rocky Lives

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 27, 2015, 10:07:17 PM
What a disaster today in New Orleans. Winds were clocked at 111mph and knocked cars off elevated span.....
http://ktla.com/2015/04/27/incredible-video-captures-train-being-blown-off-elevated-bridge-during-storm-in-new-

what a mess and that was in a commercial area. I don't know if it landed on any buildings or cars yet.

Congrats on the correct grammar usage.  The train fell from the bridge and not "off" the bridge. 'Off' implies the train wasn't on the bridge when it fell as it was already off the bridge.  :) 

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I guess that includes me too since I also used the word "off".

I have some pet peeves too:

1) People who leave their shopping carts in the store parking lot and don't bring them to the cart return or back into the store;
2) People who drive below the speed limit, in the left lane;
3) People who don't respond to PMs;
4) People who act like those things that control the volume on the stereo.  What are those things called again?...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Sid, I don't know if we will ever know the truth of the wind speed but I was at the airport doing some work and the tower reported 111mph wind speeds, not gusts.
I will tell you I have been through many hurricanes but that wind felt worse.
Roger, Thanks for the compliment as I am by far no grammar major, thank goodness for spell check.
GN, I never even thought about that, makes you wonder if he had the feeling because how many have a camera ready to shoot a train falling from a bridge.
Jim, listen closely to the video and you can here the cars hit the ground. He was approximately 1000 yds. from the trestle.

By the way that span goes into the Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern and BNSF yards.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 28, 2015, 05:19:23 PM
Jim, listen closely to the video and you can here the cars hit the ground. He was approximately 1000 yds. from the trestle.

Thanks Boss; I was making a joke.  Ever hear the one about the tree falling in the forest? ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

I read in a news report the sustained winds were something like 70 MPH at the time.

Cheers

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

70 or 100 mph who knows,  Took some serious wind to blow them over the side. I don't believe everything news media reports anyway.
I know they were empty but what would a box car way empty?

RAM

I think they were trailers on platforms.

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 28, 2015, 11:45:20 PM
70 or 100 mph who knows,  Took some serious wind to blow them over the side. I don't believe everything news media reports anyway.
I know they were empty but what would a box car way empty?

50ft boxcar, around 70,000lbs tare/light weight.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

LT WT printed on the sides of a couple of my 50ft boxcars = 58,700
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 29, 2015, 06:25:27 AM
LT WT printed on the sides of a couple of my 50ft boxcars = 58,700

I just went to a BN site and looked at the first listing for 50ft boxcar.

Didn't think they vary that much: -

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/50ftF_BoxcarDiagram.pdf

Cheers

Roger T.