News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridge/Trestle Recommendation?

Started by kdgrant6, May 07, 2015, 04:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on May 08, 2015, 08:51:09 PM
...rolled it over the EZ track, if you get my meaning. 

Sorry Jonathan, but can you help me understand what you meant by this part? 

Thank you for your help.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Jonathon, that looks like the 21st bridge outside of keyser. do you run western Maryland trains over the bridge?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Jward,

No WM, yet. I have wanted to add a few WM pieces, though.

jbrock,

The MP bridge came as one piece... already assembled.  In order to fit it over the track, I had to cut the deck down the middle, turn the bridge sideways, slip the now-cut bridge deck over the installed track, turn the bridge upright, and install. I didn't take photos of the installation process as this was to be temporary.  Difficult to describe, but a relatively simple operation.  Hope this makes more sense.

When I replace it with a wood truss bridge, I'll take some photos of the old bridge so one can see how I cut the bridge.

Regards,

Jonathan

kdgrant6

I ran into this Peco Plate Bridge kit:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Peco-HO-LK10-Plate-Bridge-Kit-p/pec-lk10.htm

It's  just the sides of a bridge.  You take care of the road bed and attach the sides to make it look as if it's one piece.

jbrock27

Thank you for the added explanation Jonathan.  You're correct, difficult to describe in words :D.  If I read you right, you cut a slit along the length of the bottom of the trestle so you could slide the trestle over the section of EZ track after you were able to ballast the EZ track.

Ingenius :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: jonathan on May 08, 2015, 08:51:09 PM
All this talk of EZ track and bridges reminded me of a project I never got around to... but still need to.

I have a loop on my layout that is about 90% EZ track.  The photos below show a quick bridge I did with an old Model Power Bridge.  I split the bottom of the bridge length-wise and rolled it over the EZ track, if you get my meaning.  My intention was to cut the EZ track across the span and put in one of those fancy craftsman kit wood bridges.  I guess I ran out of rountuits...

There's even ballast for goodness sake.

That bridge is now a little higher on my to-do list I think.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

This is a good example of "bridgework" for several reasons, but I want to exemplify only one for my purpose. 
A good many bridges were ballasted; in my experience, the only ones I have seen like this are girder, but that means nothing...  anything is possible. 
When they ballast the girder bridges, they usually secure the bottoms by steel, and pour concrete as a base; then ballast for laying the roadbed.

Oh, and the books I have referred to are:
Model Railroad Bridges and trestles (Kalmbach #33)
Bridge and Trestle Handbook [by Paul Mallery] (Carstens C79)

These two books should prove both enlightening and helpful.

SGT C.

Len

Quote from: kdgrant6 on May 09, 2015, 07:35:52 AM
I ran into this Peco Plate Bridge kit:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Peco-HO-LK10-Plate-Bridge-Kit-p/pec-lk10.htm

It's  just the sides of a bridge.  You take care of the road bed and attach the sides to make it look as if it's one piece.

That's pretty much what I was saying about the Atlas. Use the side girders with your own deck. With the rounded ends, the Peco would probably look better for a single span.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len;
I found a place for those "Atlas Bridge Units".
I have always liked the looks of the old street bridges built with trusses, and these puppies fill the bill exactly-I managed to get a "12'6"-clearance; good for the era I model.  I drove Tractor Trailer long ago, pedaled New Haven and other tri-state area cities, so am pretty familiar with clearances based upon the "good old days"...
Anyone pedaling New Haven, or south around the viaduct, you have my sympathies...

SGT C.

kdgrant6

Peco also has a Truss-Girder Bridge Sides kit, too.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Peco-HO-Truss-Girder-Bridge-Sides-Kit-p/pec-lk11.htm?CartID=2

I don't know which one would be better.  Is there a rule-of-thumb is regard to which one you'd see in terms of prototype?

electrical whiz kid

I bet if you ask Peco or Atlas, they would tell you "Peco" or Atlas'...
SGT C.

jbrock27

Prototype, shmototype, Rule #1 applies above all else! :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

I agree, but I was not clear enough.  I meant: when do you encounter Truss-Girder bridges as opposed to plate ones?

electrical whiz kid

Grant;
I just looked at the site.  Is it my imagination or do Atlas an Peco use the same die sets?  I had a couple of humourous thoughts about that-must be the cynic in me.
SGT C.

kdgrant6

Atlas puts track in theirs, at least in the ones I looked at.  Peco offers just the sides.

ACY

Quote from: kdgrant6 on May 09, 2015, 10:51:39 AM
I agree, but I was not clear enough.  I meant: when do you encounter Truss-Girder bridges as opposed to plate ones?
Generally the length of the span, the depth of the bedrock, the soil characteristics, the weight that the deck must support, the budget, and the time period in which it was built all factor into the design used. Some areas would have more of certain types of bridges than others but there is no hard and fast rule. Each bridge has its advantages and disadvantages so you can pretty much use any design that was utilized during the time period you are modeling.