News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is better, the 2-10-0 or 2-8-0

Started by sedfred, May 31, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

What we really need is a simple guide as to how to adjust CV's to smooth operation at low speeds.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on June 08, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
What we really need is a simple guide as to how to adjust CV's to smooth operation at low speeds.

If you have a more than an "entry level" DCC system, something like NCE or Digitrax, then download and install JMRI.

No need to know anything about CVs.  JMRI offers simple menus like "Select Whistle", "Adjust Chuff Rate", "Adjust Bell Volume", simple menus like that.  There's no need to know what CV you are adjusting, JMRI already knows that for multiple brands of decoders, including the ones used by Bachmann.  In fact, it even detects the make and model of decoders you are using.  Nothing could be simpler, only you must have more than and entry level system, unfortunately it will not work with Bachmann's Dynamis DCC system.   If you are using Dynamis, then you need to learn what CV do and which ones to change.

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: rogertra on June 08, 2015, 08:04:59 PM

If you have a more than an "entry level" DCC system, something like NCE or Digitrax, then download and install JMRI.

No need to know anything about CVs.  JMRI offers simple menus like "Select Whistle", "Adjust Chuff Rate", "Adjust Bell Volume", simple menus like that.  There's no need to know what CV you are adjusting, JMRI already knows that for multiple brands of decoders, including the ones used by Bachmann.  In fact, it even detects the make and model of decoders you are using.  Nothing could be simpler, only you must have more than and entry level system, unfortunately it will not work with Bachmann's Dynamis DCC system.   If you are using Dynamis, then you need to learn what CV do and which ones to change.

Cheers

Roger T.

I have the NCE procab. How do you connect that to JMRI? Anyway, I know most of the CV numbers, but fiddling with every possible value gets tiring real quick. The worst thing is chuff rate though. I got my 2-10-0 to sync at most speeds after spending the better part of an hour creating a custom speed curve but all that goes out the window with cars or on any non level track.
Modeling NYC in N

sedfred

Sorry about this but I may have been somewhat vague before posting, but I actually don't have dcc, I just wanted to know for future reference because I want go convert to dcc soon, I was planning on getting a bachmann dcc controller but after hearing about them and seeing this forum I want to get something else. I will try to get a dcc controller this year. I heard there is still sound in dc but it's rather limited. What does a sound loco do when you are using dc, does it make random noises?

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on June 08, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
Quote from: rogertra on June 08, 2015, 08:04:59 PM

Cheers

Roger T.

I have the NCE procab. How do you connect that to JMRI? Anyway, I know most of the CV numbers, but fiddling with every possible value gets tiring real quick. The worst thing is chuff rate though. I got my 2-10-0 to sync at most speeds after spending the better part of an hour creating a custom speed curve but all that goes out the window with cars or on any non level track.

Here's the instruction for an NCE system: -

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/nce/NCE.shtml

Trainman203

Sedfred if you have the money, an NCE power cab would be a great investment.  I have one I got for a little portable layout I used to have.  The only thing about it is that it isn't self contained, it is components designed to be installed on layout fascia. But it is super easy to learn.   I rigged mine up in a tackle box so it can be easily carried around.

Even though some folks do, by virtue of some squirrelly  method I don't know, I would not run a DCC engine on a DC  layout.  It is real easy to burn your loco up.  Wait until you have the DCC.

sedfred

What do you mean by "burn up"? I heard that some dcc ocomotives run fine on dc, my spectrum 4-4-0 works good one dc. I don't see why the  2-10-0 wouldn't, even if it wouldn't would it be possible to convert it to dc? Does anyone know how the 2-10-0 would run on dc? Would it actually damage it? I really want the 2-10-0 but you may have scared me a little!

Irbricksceo

I ran DCC Locomotives on DC for years, as has Jonathan I think. Now, I never ran a sound loco on DC but I've seen it done.
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

I defer to those with more experience, I may have it backwards, running DC engines on a DCC layout.

jonathan

I do run DCC locomotives on my DC layout, as well as DCC/Sound on DC... occasionally.

Have had no adverse affects so far.  The dual mode type decoders that Bachmann uses are suppose to be able to handle this.  In my experience they do.

I also run those same locos on my club's DCC system at train shows.  So, these locos go back and forth with no ill symptoms.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 09, 2015, 10:30:43 PM
I defer to those with more experience, I may have it backwards, running DC engines on a DCC layout.

Now that is 100% true, while some systems say they support a DC locomotive on address 0, it is NEVER a good idea. running DC locomotives on DCC will, sooner or later (probably sooner), burn out the Motor.
Modeling NYC in N

sedfred

i have all the information i need, i think it is time to put this thread to rest, unless anyone still has a few more things to say. activity on the thread is dying out so i think it's time to give it the axe.....

Trainman203

Let us know what you decide to do.  In a new thread of course.

ScottyB

Sedfred,

In what part of the country are you mowing lawns? There have to be some model railroaders nearby that would pay handsomely for a nice lawn and a modeling friend!

Welcome to the hobby and best of luck with your search!

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

sedfred

i mow lawns in brantford because that's where i live, i mainly mow lawns for my dad and grandparents but my city has a model train club near the train station.