2-6-0 Mogul DCC w/SoundOnBoard and Smoke ? ? ?

Started by DAVE2744, June 05, 2015, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

Reference my earlier post on tender width of Mogul, I have started the project to narrow the tender to match the cab.  A couple of surprises.  I didn't understand why a loco with one motor and one headlight had eight ( 8 ) wires between tender and loco.  Now the pc board is out and surprise two.  Here are the wire connections with wires attached:
Tab R - 2 wires, 1st-red-Rail, right. 2nd-black-unknown.
Tab B - 2 wires, 1st-black-Rail,left. 2nd-black-unknown.
Tab M+ - 1 wire, black-Motor.  Tab M+  -  1 wire, black-Motor.
Tab HL - 1 wire, black-Headlight.  Tab H+ - 1 wire, black-Headlight.
Tab S+ - 1 wire, black-Speaker.  Tab S-  -  1 wire, black-Speaker.
Tab BL - 1 wire, black-Backup light. Tab B+ - 1 wire, black-Backup light.
Tab +U - 1 wire, black-unknown.  Tab SMK - 1 wire, black-Smoke?.

I haven't removed the boiler, one project at a time.

Anybody know if these units had smoke heaters?  None is shown on the parts diagram, and the box doesn't indicate any.  Thanks, Dave

Edit.  Date stamp on CPU is 9.4.12

GN.2-6-8-0

To the best of my knowledge bachmanns have not had smoke generators in any of their steam locomotives.
Rocky Lives

ACY

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on June 05, 2015, 06:02:18 PM
To the best of my knowledge bachmanns have not had smoke generators in any of their steam locomotives.
This is completely inaccurate. Bachmann has made a great deal of locomotives with smoke, however many are no longer in production however, currently in production are an 0-6-0, 2-6-0 & 2-6-2 with smoke however none of the locomotives with smoke have DCC & sound equipped.

If your locomotive is a Bachmann and it had factory installed sound then it doesn't have any smoke unit.

guslcp

I have a "smoker", but it barely puts out a visible wisp of smoke. It doesn't justify the extra expense over a non-smoker.
I also have a mid-50's AF 0-8-0 with smoke & chuff sound...Now THAT's a smoker..!!
Gus.

Trainman203

Model smoke to me is just something else to break.  It does not look real and never will, you cannot reduce physics down in scale.  If anyone ever figures out how to get the great clouds of thick rolling black smoke that especially came from sanding the flues of oil burners, I'll get it the minute it hits the shelves.

There's a reason that, in the magazines, so many guys Photoshop prototypical smoke onto shots of their engines, but never photograph actual model smoke from smoke units.

And, boy, if they ever figure out how to get real looking steam come out of the whistle, pop vales, and cylinder cocks, I "will" have it.

ACY

They make live steam HO scale locomotives, they probably have pretty realistic smoke. Also if you are willing to spend a lot of money (in excess of $600 or so), some locomotives such as MTH has some pretty realistic smoke but most people aren't willing to pay that much.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 14, 2015, 10:36:14 AM
Model smoke to me is just something else to break.  It does not look real and never will, you cannot reduce physics down in scale.  If anyone ever figures out how to get the great clouds of thick rolling black smoke that especially came from sanding the flues of oil burners, I'll get it the minute it hits the shelves.

There's a reason that, in the magazines, so many guys Photoshop prototypical smoke onto shots of their engines, but never photograph actual model smoke from smoke units.

And, boy, if they ever figure out how to get real looking steam come out of the whistle, pop vales, and cylinder cocks, I "will" have it.

I'm with you 100% on this.  Current smoke units look like crap.  Look more like wispy cigarette smoke than actual steam and smoke.

Waste of money in my opinion.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

The main reason most model railroaders do not use smoke units is due to the fact that the smoke fluid leaves residue on the loco and the track. Bachmann has a few sets and beginner locos that have smoke units but we do not put smoke units in the majority of our products.