News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann 94648 switch stand review

Started by Wade Colyer, June 15, 2015, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade Colyer

I just received a 94648 switch stand off eBay. I attached it to an LGB 1600 turnout and it seems to work very well. It looks very American in style and the target's shaft base is 2.97mm / .117" so you could make a different one to match what would be on your railroad's era out of styrene or brass pretty easy. It came with extensions to move the stand 3/4" and 1 1/4" farther from the turnout if needed. You can also adjust the throw from 9mm as shipped to 6mm.  It's not spring loaded so if you run through the turnout misaligned you'll derail just like the real ones. (Don't ask me how I know that!!) I'm going to put these on all my manual turnouts. Thank you Bachmann for an American prototype switch stand.

Wade

bob kaplan

I installed a couple of these on my indoor layout.   Find them quite nice looking and they seem to work well.   But....can someone tell me how to insert the targets in relation to the circle and the diamond with the relationship to the branch and the mainline as in a prototype railroad?

CCSG

Set the circle to indicate when the switch is lined straight or for the main and diamond when it is lined for the divergent route.
Patrick Kramer

CCSG

I just looked at the switch stand on the Bachmann Store and would reverse what I said in my last post due to the color of the targets. I think red should indicate a divergent route and reduced speed while the green target would indicate high ball. Of course you could repaint the targets the correct colors.
Patrick Kramer

bob kaplan

StanAmes

Quote from: CCSG on June 29, 2015, 01:18:33 PM
I just looked at the switch stand on the Bachmann Store and would reverse what I said in my last post due to the color of the targets. I think red should indicate a divergent route and reduced speed while the green target would indicate high ball. Of course you could repaint the targets the correct colors.

The Bachmann switch stand target colors are correct as produced and follow common prototype use such as the D&RGW.

Stan

CCSG

Stan,

Thanks for the correction.

Patrick
Patrick Kramer