Query about taking off side tanks on 1:20 0-4-0 Porter

Started by MelThompson, June 19, 2015, 04:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelThompson

I have a 1:20 0-4-0 Porter that I'm converting to a 2-4-0 tender unit.  I downloaded the schematics for the loco from the Bachmann website, but it does not want to come apart.  (I also need to get it apart so I can do the battery, sound and r/c work).

From looking at the diagrams it almost looks as if the side tanks won't come off without razor saw work.

Apart from that I've taken out the six screws from the side tank and chassis that the diagrams call for, but cannot lift up the cab as per the illustrations.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks -
Mel Thompson

Joe Zullo

Mel,

You must tip the cab up with a bit of force and then move the entire assembly forward. Unplug the headlight and you are there. The side tanks on the 1:20 Porter are part of the boiler. I guess you will have to saw them off. I converted a 1:22.5 Porter to a 0-4-0 tender unit a while back, but those tanks are separate pieces. Good luck.

MelThompson

Thanks for your assistance.  With a firm pull it slipped right off.  For other people's info, the wires from to the headlight are quite long, so there's little danger of ripping them out accidentally.  Looks like I'll gut the electronics that came with the loco and run everything back to the tender.

Mel Thompson

Loco Bill Canelos

Mel,

It is too bad the tanks have to be cut off,  I had considered converting my 1:20.3 Porter to a tender loco, but was put off by the cutting off of the tanks.

Please consider posting some pictures of the project as you go along, I am sure the group would be very interested!!

Bill 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!