Doodlebugs (Spectrum EMC Gas Electric Doodle Bug) 81402

Started by tscdata, June 22, 2015, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tscdata

I have 2 Doodle Bugs that I would like to convert to DCC.  Do you have any suggestions?

rogertra

Quote from: tscdata on June 22, 2015, 07:52:06 PM
I have 2 Doodle Bugs that I would like to convert to DCC.  Do you have any suggestions?

My one came with a DCC plug already installed, so conversion should be simple, for a non sound decoder, just plug and play.  Sound will require the installation of a speaker, something I'm looking into.

Cheers

Roger T.

tscdata

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Sounds like good news.  I am now learning how to take the body off.

richardl

Quote from: tscdata on June 22, 2015, 08:40:30 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply.  Sounds like good news.  I am now learning how to take the body off.

Put it in a soft foam cradle. Slide toothpicks between the frame and shell. Lift the frame out of the shell.

If you go with sound, some had a distillate engine. Some where converted to diesel.

A TSU-750 would fit. I did some searching and I see some used this decoder. A tight fit from what I have read.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richardl on June 22, 2015, 09:42:52 PM
Quote from: tscdata on June 22, 2015, 08:40:30 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply.  Sounds like good news.  I am now learning how to take the body off.

Put it in a soft foam cradle. Slide toothpicks between the frame and shell. Lift the frame out of the shell.

Rich

Beat me to it Rich.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

richardl

I use to have a good link for the Doodlebug but the site went away about five years ago. Tried to find it with the way back machine but no joy.

To the OP, search the Bachmann HO and General forums. Someone asked the same question a couple or so years ago.

Rich

tscdata

I thank every one for such prompt replies.  And yes, I do have a supply of tooth picks. :) :)

To make things more interesting I plan to shorten the Doodlebug to 40 or so scale feet.  My layout has many 15" radius curves.

But first I will proceed with DCC conversion.

richardl

I have seen videos of the Bachmann Doodlebug on You Tube but no installation info so far. Some mention the decoder and speaker. I think a few put the speaker in the trailing car.

I did search the Bachmann forums and there is useful info in the search links.

Rich

tscdata

Rich, thanks for the reply.  Let's hope I get lucky and have a plug and play solution.  John

rogertra

Quote from: richardl on June 22, 2015, 09:42:52 PM

A TSU-750 would fit. I did some searching and I see some used this decoder. A tight fit from what I have read.

Rich

Rich.

Went to the Soundtraxx site and I agree the TSU-750 seems ideal.  A Cummins diesel engine, sounds like a bus or a truck, several horns available, perfect.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/showwistle.php?s=cummins]http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/showwistle.php?s=cummins]http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/showwistle.php?s=cummins

Cheers

Roger T.

tscdata

Thanks for the link on the TSU-750.  Now the search will be on for best price and availability.

richardl

Quote from: tscdata on June 23, 2015, 09:22:56 AM
Thanks for the link on the TSU-750.  Now the search will be on for best price and availability.

For mail order, I use Litchfield Station.

At a local train show, Tony's Trains but he does mail order also. Both very good with support.

Rich

richardl

FYI. Back around 2008 there was an issue with a short between two pins on the Doodlebug socket. One user here said he found the short with his ohm meter and scratched the trace on the PC board to eliminate the short. One person included a link about this issue but the link is dead. I use to have the link in Bookmarks but it is dead. This might not be an issue anymore.
The short use to smoke a decoder.

More Google searches indicate a short between pin 3 and pin 7. Check yours and cut the trace if it exist.
I think, guess, it was for the DCC ready version.

Rich

tscdata

Rich,

Thanks for the heads up on suppliers and the possibility of a short in the DCC socket.

John

grsman

Quote from: tscdata on June 23, 2015, 12:28:48 PM
Rich,

Thanks for the heads up on suppliers and the possibility of a short in the DCC socket.

John

John
I posted this reply once before.
There has been a problem with the HO DoodleBug since day one. I don't know what scale an #81406 is. The NMRA 8-pin socket is mis-wired.
There is a pcb trace between pins 3 & 7. Instructions that came with the DoodleBug said there is a green wire between the pins. That is not true.
Pins 3 & 7 should not be connected together with a wire or a pcb trace. Remove whichever is present. This mistake could only cause trouble if
your decoder has a function wire connected to pin 3 and it gets energized.
Tom