News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derails

Started by rains train, November 05, 2007, 09:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

Okay, so I have 4 tables going around my room, were the ends meet there is a gap, one is higher than the other, so when my train goes around it it derails....how could I fix this problem?  ???

Thanks,
Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

SteamGene

Get rid of the gap and the difference in height.  That's basic benchwork.  If for some reason you must have a difference in height between two tables, build a roadbed that fills in between the two elevations.  Simple civil engineering,
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

See, it's a very small difference, but my passenger coach and engine keep derailing...if I got some extruded foam and laid it over all of the boards, would that work, because then I would think it would be just a slope..
Alex

Atlantic Central

Alex,

Sounds like the problem is that slope created by the difference is too sudden. Trains need gentle changes in direction for both curves and grades.

The abrupt change is lifting the wheels off the track, and it will be worse with long cars like passenger cars.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

If your passenger trucks were built-bolt for bolt-like the prototype, with all of their equalization, then the trucks would have some give; but that is not the case, huh?  They are SOLID; and therefore, one end is going to ride up into the atmosphere, while the other end teeter-totters on that back axle.  If it has any side to side lateral motion, it will derail the car when the foward axle comes back down on the rails- and/or the train.  Fun, huh?  If you don't believe me, then watch that truck real close when it goes over that hump!

Word of advice-just an echo of all on this forum:  Pay attention to your joinery, whether it be benchwork, and/or trackwork.  Be meticulous! Use some forethought and planning.  All the craftman kits and brass locos won't mean a tinkerer's hoot if they can't run for beans without derailing on lousy trackwork!.

I have a goodly number of sprung (equalized) trucks, and I wouldn't depend on the springs for EQ if my life depended on it!  They are way too stiff.  Good trucks, and they generally do the job; but still way too stiff to do justice to the situation you have at hand; at least for my peace of mind.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

rains train

I'm going to get some 4" by 8" sheets of foam and put them over my plywood, so then it will only be a slight grade.

Alex

RAM

Alex, I don’t know why you can’t get the tables the same height.  You should be able to shim up
one end of the table, or shim up the roadbed.  I do not know what you are using to hold the tables
together.  You can not have movement between tables.  You can use c-clamps to hold them
together.  Make sure that the joints in the track are straight.  If you have a straight track on one
table and curve section meeting at the table joints, than you are just asking for trouble.  What you
need to do is fix the problem and not just cover it up.

jayl1

Woodlang Scenic makes a foam grade riser.  That may help too - if all else fails..

rains train

I don't have roadbed yet, I don't even have all the track I need, and the tables arnt held together really. :-\

SteamGene

Rule #1.  Benchwork must be solid.
Rule #2.  Refer to Rule #1.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

kevin2083

I thought rule #1 was 'obey all rules'
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Jake

Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

rains train

My benchwork is solid....just uneven..

SteamGene

Uneven is not solid,

Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rains train

Well, it doesn't move...that's....solid.... :(