HO Scale: Replacement of pancake motor in old Bachmann 2-8-0

Started by electrical whiz kid, July 15, 2015, 08:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

I have acquired a few OLD...  locomotives, a couple of B'mann 2-8-0s with the Wooten looking firebox.  These motors are probably junk, compared to the newer product, but I like the design of the engine.
What would the procedure be for a motor change-out to a decent can motor?  Will be using either "Loksound" or Tsunami decoder.

Rich C.

richardl

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on July 15, 2015, 08:05:10 PM
I have acquired a few OLD...  locomotives, a couple of B'mann 2-8-0s with the Wooten looking firebox.  These motors are probably junk, compared to the newer product, but I like the design of the engine.
What would the procedure be for a motor change-out to a decent can motor?  Will be using either "Loksound" or Tsunami decoder.

Rich C.

Quite a bit of work from what I see. I just did a Google search for; replacing bachmann pancake motor

Lots of photos with links to forums.

No doubt have to replace the spur gears when you install a can motor. Worm on motor with matching worm gear and a spur gear on the driver axle.
If you go down this path, task a look at NWSL. They have an extensive list of worms, worm gears and spur gears. That includes, reverse worms and matching worm gears.
For decent gear reduction, I have used the MDC Roundhouse method of worm, combination matching worm gear and a spur gear on an intermediate shaft and a spur gear on the driver axle. That can give about 45 to 1 gear reduction. On loco had 72 to 1, a switcher. I did this some years ago with some older Tyco locomotives. Had to custom make a support for the intermediate shaft and match that to the driver spur gear. The can motors where nestled in bath caulk to get proper worm/worm gear interaction and minimize motor noise.  More gear reduction, higher motor RPM. The NWSL has a documents of gear reduction. Back years ago, NWSL had thin plastic sheets with full HO sclae dimensions for gear planning. It was a complete gear planning option you could buy.

I put a DZ125 decoder in the older Plymouth 0-6-0 with pancake motor and it did work. The issue was poor pickup and gear noise.

Good luck.

richardl

The page shows a couple different older 2-8-0's. Is one of them what you have? One has the pancake motor.

http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html

Rich

electrical whiz kid

Wayne and Rich;
Wayne; the more I look at that diagram, the more convinced I am to do just that:  Pick up from Bachmann, the whole bottom; chassis assy.; motor drive.  I look at this and any project as what my time is usually worth/hour as opposed to the fun V/ aggravation factor.

Rich;  Yep; it's the 1990 one.   I love the superstructure-but then, I'd say the same thing about most women...   The price for parts and the one-hour project time far outweighs the re-build.  Doing the 'rebuild' probably would give new dimension to the term "kit-bashing".
Thanks again

Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

By George, Wayne, that was a good drop-and bespeaks tomes about your work!  Thank you for the positive feedback.  I am no stranger to machining or otherwise doing great and injurious harm to an otherwise good body...
Actually, I have always liked the looks of that Wooten firebox.  The locomotive takes on a rather "beefy" appearance that would speak power, brawn, etc. 
One interesting thing I remember is that when Bachmann first marketed this loco, they had it set up as both a  -consolidation-AND a Mikado!  I cracked up when I realized what they did-I still think it was funny!
I am of the late John Allen school that says forget convention; your heart is your own.  I have seen John's collection and believe me, there are some truly "unique" motive power in those old photos.

Rich C.

Desertdweller

When I first saw John Allen's railroad in the January 1969 issue of Model Railroader, it really blew me away!

Les

rogertra

Quote from: Desertdweller on July 21, 2015, 03:22:47 PM
When I first saw John Allen's railroad in the January 1969 issue of Model Railroader, it really blew me away!

Les

I agree about his scenery and techniques and was generally impressed but as a prototypical model railroader?  Less so.  He was, for me, too full of whimsicality but that's what he enjoyed.

My major influence was W. Allen McClelland and his V&O series in RMC back in the late 1970s.

Railroading "Beyond the basement", trains with a purpose, taking the operating emphasis away from the way freight and putting on the through freight where it belongs, use of staging, etc., etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Yep; Roger, it was what he enjoyed.  The one thing I took from John Allen was his premise that you do what does float your raft.  In it's purest sense, his approach would have been too much for my blood; but the quality (for it's time)of what he did still stands out today.

Rich C.

RAM

John started out with a small layout, but with all of the detail that he put on it, made you look, look, and look at it.   Ok it was an advertisement for Varney.  No doubt you saw the box car, or cattle car, but what really got your attention was the layout.