News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring Question

Started by Striker1945, July 23, 2015, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1945

Hey all Striker here!

Had a question about wiring. Im running two main loops on my layout and was wondering if i needed two main bus lines for this or could I just use one bus line to run feeders off of?

Thanks,
-Striker

Len

If your operating DCC only, you could just use one bus line if you use wire heavy enough for the current load of both loops.

If you will be operating with straight DC, two cabs to operate two locos, and your only blocks will be the complete seperate loops, then you should use to bus lines. One for each cab. Better would be block wiring, which is explained in several wiring books by Kalmbach and Atlas.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Striker;
You wouldn't have to use buss circuits if using DC.  You, instead, would use (usu) rotary switches, with the feeders going to "common", and the blocks being wired to their respective switch terminals.  You could put a DPDT switch between them for peace of mind.  Atlas, et al, has wiring books available.  I can explain in deeper detail, if you desire.

RIch C.

Striker1945

I'm operating DCC only on my layout. What would be considered heavy wire? I have a ton of wire laying around 12-22 gauge. Was thinking of using 16 gauge for the bus line with 20 or 22 gauge for the feeders.

WoundedBear

I would go with 12 or 14 gauge for the bus lines and 18 gauge for feeders.

Sid

electrical whiz kid

Sid has it right; go with 12 or 14-but do keep the wire size consistent and organized-and don't mix solid to stranded.

Rich C.