News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming a Sound Value RS-3 Diesel engine

Started by Horsty, August 31, 2015, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horsty

I've run this engine MAYBE a total of 1 hour since I bought it a year ago. I changed the long address without any trouble when I ran it the first time. Yesterday I decided to change the horn - I use an NCE system on my home layout - so I selected Programming on the Main, changed the CV for the horn and now I have sound but no movement of the engine in either direction using the long address or address#3. I tried a factory reset bit still no movement although the engine RPM's increase as I increase the throttle speed.

Anybody out there that can help?

Hunt

First let's get the decoder reset and running using address 3.

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.
   1)  Program CV 8 to 8 (can use either PROGRAM TRK or PROGRAM ON MAIN programming mode)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and after five-seconds turn power back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Horsty

Thanks.
I did the reset as described = lights flashed 16 times but the sound also came on immediately upon restoring power so I did it again twice. Both the sound and flashing lights(16 times)started immediately
No movement in either direction but engine rpms increase with throttle increase.

Shall I do the 2 step reset procedure more times or is htere a next step?

Hunt

Assume you are using a NCE Power Cab DCC system.

Remove locomotive shell. Locate, pull off and reseat one at a time the black plastic clip holding in place each of the two wires connecting the motor to the circuit board. Be sure the bare end of the wire is in good contact with the solder pad on the circuit board before replacing the clip.

Test run before replacing the shell.

Horsty

Thanks - I'll do it tonight and let you know how it goes.

Hunt

Quote from: Horsty on September 01, 2015, 07:32:19 AM
. . . .
No movement in either direction but engine rpms increase with throttle increase.
. . . .

Clarify - engine rpms increase with throttle increase.

When I told you to check wiring - I assumed you are referring to the prime mover RPM sound produced by the decoder as the throttle is increased.

But, are you referring to the installed electrical motor?

If the electrical motor – then Click Here for information about returning product for repair.

Horsty

Correct assumption - Prime Mover RPM sound increases -  NOT the electrical motor.
Also NCE Power Cab is the correct assumption

bapguy

This sounds like a wire to the motor is loose. I solder ALL the wires to the decoder and get rid of the plastic clips. I've no problems with loose wires this way.  Joe

Horsty

Thanks to everyone - I'll work on this tonight.
Seems odd that this would appear when all I did was change the CV value for the air horn.

Horsty

Sure enough! I pulled the clips for the motor wires and slid them back on and I have a fully functioning engine.
I took Joe's advice and soldered all decoder connections.
Thanks again to all.