Any suggestions for Bachmann's future models?

Started by alco9000fan, September 03, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

I'll take some of those 'Mohawks' Rashputin's suggesting. And I'd take more than a couple if the New Haven I-5 "Hudson" got produced some day.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

Re:  the 2-4-4-2, the prototype is in fact being restored up in Washington State. 

Trainman203

Rashputin:
Mountains everywhere except on NYC which had more than anyone else.

Pf.  Yes, but the rest of them in the country outnumbered those on the NYC.  Some say that the Mountain name came from the 5200 class delivered in 1913 to the St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern.

Rasputin: Then there are the NYC Pacifics which, while not as famous as the Hudsons, seem to be popular but aren't available in anything but poorly operating brass (that I know of at least) and which could use the Bachmann K4 running gear and not compete with BLI periodically running their K4.

Pf.:   Bowser made a die cast NYC Pacific for many long years.  Supposedly were good runners.  Good looking engine.   Anyone seen one lately?

Rahputin: Why no one makes the most common type of 4-8-2 used in the US which is the L2 series Mohawk I just don't know.

Pf.  I know why.  There are a lot of fans besides NYC fans who want something  else.  I don't want a Mohawk,  I want a MoPac 5200 and 5300 class.

OH.  If you "really" want to be " out in the cold", try being an MP fan.

J3a-614

I can't get over how much Dr. Wayne's freelanced 4-8-2s are reminiscent of Missouri Pacific in overall appearance--I place that to the feedwater heater, front air compressors, the visored headlight, and the cast pilot.

A USRA Heavy 4-8-2 might be a better starting point for the MP fan:

http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/other/mp5340_stlouis_10-15-47.jpg

http://www.railarchive.net/randomsteam/mp5321.htm

http://transport.castlegraphics.com/albums/railroad/steam/mp/mp_5337_4-8-2_st_louis_mo.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8168922761_942fa02c81_c.jpg

Some 4-8-2s and others:

http://condrenrails.com/FSVB/Passenger%20Trains/Missouri-Pacific-Passenger-Trains.htm

Len

Man, all these great loco 'bashing' projects need their own thread. How many people are going to think of looking in a "future models" thread for great bashing ideas??

Len

electrical whiz kid

Len;
That is an excellent idea; one that the "Bach-Man(n?) should really consider.  Like you said, there are a lot of good ideas from the likes of Jonathan, Roger, Rye Guy, et cetera...  As you know,great minds think alike, and I suspect that a lot of them are in sync with this idea.

Rich C.

ebtnut

Doc Wayne's Mountain also has a close resemblance to the B&O T-3's. 

ryeguyisme

An NYC L-2a is a really charmer of a brute, however I probably maybe would buy one as opposed to the numerous D&RGW 4-8-2's I have in brass(never can have enough!) I was contemplating on buying an O 3-rail version for my Holiday Christmas display I do at the local park. The O scale version is loud and puff crazy amounts of smoke.

One thing we don't see a lot of is non-N&W(USRA included) designed 2-8-8-2's, I know it may be a pipe dream for me, but I love some of the small/medium sized 2-8-8-2's like my D&RGW L-96 which happens to be out of action until a suitable Powerhouse donor can be acquired for a better mechanism.

I'm still going to wave my hands in the air for Harriman freight steam designs. Would be neat if they included a clamshell stack for an SP 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 ;)

Trainman203

Yes, Harriman.  Even an SP mogul, been done many times in brass but always popular.

And the ma and Pa 2-8-0.  Also was done in brass a long time ago, was seen on many a layout in yesteryear.

Or a true wabash mogul, again a perennial favorite.

What I've never understood was picking an obscure mogul like the GB&W to replicate.  That's even more obscure than the MoPac.

Len

I could live with a Wabash K3/K3b or K4/K4b 2-8-2.

When I was a kid living in Wentzville, MO the winters were cold and coal was not cheap. When the "Bash", as us kids called it, stopped to take on water, the fireman would sometimes 'accidentally on purpose' kick a few chunks of coal over the side. We'd snag it, break it up with a hammer, and share it out to take home to heat the house for a day.

Len

Rashputin

"If you "really" want to be " out in the cold", try being an MP fan."

LOL, you make my point for me. I guess your logic should apply to diesels, too, in which case it's foolish for Bachmann to be making GP7s and GP9s since those were the most common engines. They should stick to the rare stuff, that's the ticket. Someone else is sure to do the common things so why should Bachmann bother chasing after the largest market ?

Bye the bye, I like the Hallmark MP Mikes I have just fine even though at one layout I ran one on a guy had a major tantrum over my having the nerve to paint them for my own road rather than MP. When a guy listening in told him all three of my others were also painted for my own road I was afraid the MP fan was going to pass out.

If the goal is selling into niche markets then I guess you have a point.

brokenrail

Hello.
How about doing a EMD SW something cow and calf  in the same optional offerings and level of detail as the Alco s2 and s4 models that are just great with e cab and hood options  in the sound value line up!
Adam

electrical whiz kid

Bye the bye, I like the Hallmark MP Mikes I have just fine even though at one layout I ran one on a guy had a major tantrum over my having the nerve to paint them for my own road rather than MP. When a guy listening in told him all three of my others were also painted for my own road I was afraid the MP fan was going to pass out.

...This is one of the major reasons I will NEVER join another club again-as long as I live!  Between the big experts on nothing, the little Hitler-esque control freaks, etc.; I had long ago become discouraged enough to want to go it alone.  If some of these purists, scale rule Richards, etc.; ever saw my "collection", they would have a fit and fall in it!!

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

All I can say is that you should have said the the MOP sold your railroad those locomotives.  Isn't that better then having them cut up?