Any suggestions for Bachmann's future models?

Started by alco9000fan, September 03, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 07, 2015, 11:11:08 AM

The SP oil and UP coal vanderbilt tenders are already there.  I do wish that the new engines would come with screw-.on domes though.  Not having a big hole to fill on top of the boiler makes mods so much easier.  It really can't add "that much" expense.

I agree with this idea.  Make life a lot easier for us kitbashers.  Sadly though, we have to keep in mind the Powers That Be are probably not modellers and to them they are just making toy trains so they will not see advantage of screw on domes and sandboxes as a benefit.  The same thinking is probably behind the dumbing down of the Spectrum line.  Less details, more profit.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

Quote from: rogertra on September 07, 2015, 01:32:07 PM

The SP oil and UP coal vanderbilt tenders are already there.  I do wish that the new engines would come with screw-.on domes though.  Not having a big hole to fill on top of the boiler makes mods so much easier.  It really can't add "that much" expense.

I agree with this idea.  Make life a lot easier for us kitbashers.  Sadly though, we have to keep in mind the Powers That Be are probably not modellers and to them they are just making toy trains so they will not see advantage of screw on domes and sandboxes as a benefit.  The same thinking is probably behind the dumbing down of the Spectrum line.  Less details, more profit.

Cheers

Roger T.

Unfortunately most modelers are not well acquainted with the actual design and tool making process that is involved in the production of a "Toy train". Some of the requests made by modelers sound great in theory but there are restrictions involved when designing and engineering a piece of tooling that prohibit ideas such as modular domes.
Contrary to your statement there are a number of "modelers" on staff with the Bachmann product development department. As far as the Spectrum and standard line are concerned newer models are being designed so that they can be "serviced". They exhibit a high level of detail and can be taken apart and serviced without destroying the detail. The new Mikado was displayed at the recent NMRA show and received nothing but praise for it's level of detail and running characteristics.

Skarloey Railway

At the risk of being awkward, doesn't the new 4-4-0 have modular domes?

J3a-614

The Harriman 2-8-0 would only need a new boiler on top of the existing 2-8-0 mechanism. And omit the Bsker valve gear on some models.  They did that once before.

I admit to not being an expert on Illinois Central steam, but isn't this 2-8-0--which is based on an IC engine in the 900 series--already a Harriman design? 

P.S.--some people have worked on this model to bring it to its IC roots, the big change being an IC box sand dome, and in some cases, adding dual air compressors on the front of the frame (with associated modifications to plumbing and running boards, and removal of the air compressor on the left side).  Even the cab is correct for a late era IC 900, and the tender might be right as well--like a lot of roads, IC did a lot of tender swapping. 

Now for the IC 2-8-2 based on the Harriman design, and getting some heavy USRA 2-10-2s from a certain other vendor (with those IC domes and a corrugated steel pilot), and diesels for other things like passenger trains, and you have a decent start on a late (1950s era) IC steam roster, better than what you could do outside of all brass not so many years ago. . .

Trainman203

It's a very heavily modified Harriman.  The scallops in the cab roof over hang are a giveaway.   However, the domes are wrong for SP and UP. The smoke box front isn't right either.  A new boiler with screw on domes would be wonderful.   Wouldn't  take much to make a great engine.

A Harriman  boiler for the 2-8-2 would be nice too.  Again ..... The tenders are already available.

Trainman203

Long years ago, Cary used to make replacement boilers for Mantua mechanisms, to produce USRA engines.  They were total stripped-down castings that let the modeler add everything.  And they were quite popular in their day.

The market appears wide open for some  entrepreneur to do the same thing for Bachmann mechanisms.

alco9000fan

Well, this is rather different. Being gone for a day sure makes you miss a lot of things.

On a note from seeing what I have read: some people say "generic" and "Harriman" steamers are just like the names imply, I look at it this way..... Even though most people say this, it's pretty much all that we have had on the market to get us started in the hobby. Without those "generic" steam locomotives, where would we be now? Bet we haven't thought that way before huh?  :P

Also according to some, this post is an "yearly thing seen almost every year, our suggestions stay the same" kinda post. But really I see it as a motivation because everyone has an opinion on what they'd like to see. And maybe a manufacture can produce one such model if they've got enough hits at one.

Something I thought about today. I would really love to see old timer 50'-70' passenger cars similar to the old Labelle kits that cost an arm and a leg!! Preferably I would be one to see them come undecorated so we have uniquely applied decals and lettering to our preferences and tastes! But as some don't want to get there hands in that, offer about 4 main roads available. Of corse they could be Spectrum, but even the Silver Series can offer many detail specific looks to a specific road!

I am liking all of everyone's ideas, and it doesn't have to be "steam only"y'all. It can be anything one may desires and want to get out finally for some exposure! I myself would like to see Bachmann attempt a electric box cab or something someone hasn't made yet.

Good day all!
Marc.

Trainman203

You need generic, Alco, because as much as the C&O fan wants his Greenbriar, Milwaukee Road wants his Milwaukee Road engines, or Punxatawny Phil wants his K4, the appeal of those engines is pretty much limited  to the model railroad fans of that road.

On the other hand, generic can be made to be, or imagined to be, almost anything.  USRA engines were used all over  the east and South.  Harriman engines were used in much territory west of the Mississippi and below the Platte River, so a lot of ground is covered ......whereas a Greenbriar is limited to a few small eastern states.

I'm not sure what "generic"early model  steam engines you refer to.  I was there to see and run them.  Mantua's 2-8-2 was a C&O engine supposedly, the 4-6-2 was B&O.  Penn Line's engines were all PRR.  Varney's 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 were supposedly SP, as was MDC's 0-6-0.  The rest of MDC's pre 70 s engines were all ATSF, until their, and die-cast's last hurrah, their Harriman series, which "were" generic.

ebtnut

I did actually see one of the helium tank cars in service many years ago, somewhere in the NE Corridor.  The original Ambroid kit was part of their "One of 5,000" series of kits -  only 5,000 of each kit made.  I don't remember if Northeastern re-issued the kit way later.  I built one of the vinegar tank cars back in the day.  It has not survived the years well.  Also so one those prototypes sitting on a siding in Chicago when I was riding the CNW from boot camp in Great Lakes into town for a one-day liberty.  That was late '67/early '68. 

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 06, 2015, 10:29:45 AM
To all of you modelers that want to see electric locomotives offered ........ do you have catenary on your layout?  What percentage of layouts have catenary?  Or is everyone happy running overhead powered electrics on the model railroad version of the air guitar, an "Invisible Friend"? 

I have some NH style catenary on my layout, built from a series of articles in MR or RMC (I forget which) some years ago. And I have a number of friends who operate electrics with "Air catenary", and it doesn't bother them a bit.

Even local modular club members run electrics on the club layout at shows, which doesn't have a bit of catenary on it anywhere. And the crowd loves them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

This departs a dite, but I'll toss it out there anywhere.  On one of my supplier's site, I found a really nice pony assembly/front end that will probably fit a Bachmann 2-8-8-4, if anyone of you hardy modellers Would want to "take the plunge" and build yourself a "DM&IR "Yellowstone".

Because of nature of this site, I am remiss to give the supplier's info out on this (or any other supplier's ) site-I think it is just good manners not to do so.
I will say that it is brass, and would make that 2-8-8-4 look like a million!!

Rich C.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 07, 2015, 05:01:49 PM
Long years ago, Cary used to make replacement boilers for Mantua mechanisms, to produce USRA engines.  They were total stripped-down castings that let the modeler add everything.  And they were quite popular in their day.

The market appears wide open for some  entrepreneur to do the same thing for Bachmann mechanisms.

There is a rendition of the Cary boilers that was a Harriman style, of course I figure they must be rare as I've only seen it once in my lifetime. I suppose the one's out there are probably held onto like grim death.

I think Harriman style  mid-size steam would be great. We seem to have bigger engines like 4-8-4's, 4-12-2's, 4-6-6-4's(The NP/SP&S Challenger is coming soon!) and 4-8-8-2's and a pollution of 4-8-8-4's for western roads, how about a shot of glory for the unsung  hoggers of the west, the 2-8-2's and the 2-8-0's.

This may not be Harriman, but I have been pushing myself into different techniques for modifying Bachmann engines.

I'm sure with added detail and paint, one probably wouldn't recognize it as Bachmann/Spectrum 2-8-0

Irbricksceo

There are many, many, skilled modelers here. That is definitely undeniable. I feel however that certain thoughts are being projected on others. I'm glad that they aren't doing baseline generics with no detail because I could never add the detail myself, I don't have the skill that detailing and customizing requires, let alone the money and time!. Bachmann is a company, if they are offering specifics and not those stripped down models that were mentioned, its because the industry has realized that it is more profitable to do so. As for spectrum, yeah, I miss it, though I understand where too much detail makes a loco impossible to service (looking at the 2-10-0 on that one). But my SY 142 is my favorite engine by far and it has a TON of detail. However I feel some aren't giving the new standard line a fair shot. I don't own a 4-8-2 (though I'd love to) but it seems to have less detail than the 2-8-4, a standard line loco.

Just sharing my thoughts.
Modeling NYC in N

the Bach-man

Dear Rich,
I love Yellowstones!
What's the link?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Len

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on September 08, 2015, 09:20:14 PM
This departs a dite, but I'll toss it out there anywhere.  On one of my supplier's site, I found a really nice pony assembly/front end that will probably fit a Bachmann 2-8-8-4, if anyone of you hardy modellers Would want to "take the plunge" and build yourself a "DM&IR "Yellowstone".

Because of nature of this site, I am remiss to give the supplier's info out on this (or any other supplier's ) site-I think it is just good manners not to do so.
I will say that it is brass, and would make that 2-8-8-4 look like a million!!
Rich C.

Rich,

I don't think Bachmann has a problem with pointing foks at sites for detail parts for Bachmann locos to make them road specific, or just to add parts that should be there Bachmann didn't include. Now pointing to competitors equivalent products is a whole 'nother story.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.