News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Boxcar Projects

Started by jonathan, October 04, 2015, 06:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

I never know when I've gone a bit too far... over the edge, one might say.  Anyway, here are 4 more open-door boxcars:

Empty

Another wood load, just not as neat this time

Another car with wood load, but with working figures

The other figure in the same car

Finally, an automobile car, with autos

There wasn't room to put in a prototypical car loading rack, and I don't think I could build one anyway.  So, I faked it with the cars... a few are fro the proper era, but the Mach 5 was a bit of whimsy.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

One time I watched them unload cars from a auto box car.  I would say that today they can unload 10 3 level car in the amount of time it took to unload 4 cars from that one boxcar.  

on30gn15

Will be interesting to see if layout visitors notice a few of the auto cars, move on, then turn around, "Wait a minute, was that ..."
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Mdaskalos

Go Speed Racer, go-oooo!!!

jbrock27

Glad folks remember Speedy! :D

Nice touch Jonathan.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Woody Elmore

Jonathan - great work (again!) Sorry to hear you were ill. It looks like you're back 100%.

To electrical whiz kid - there was, at one time, a company called Weston (I'm sure that's the name) and they made Flexible Freddy. I never actually saw one but I know they were made. The line consisted of a lot of prepainted figures. My favorite was guys playing checkers. The checker board was on a barrel and I think a dog was included. 

I do believe that Campbell models (for the younger folks - Campbell made building kits and were known for their HO shingle material) may have purchased the line. I don't think Campbell is still in business,

Woody Elmore

Since I don't like spreading misinformation I googled Campbell and they are still in business and offer Weston miniatures. A look at EBay found a lot of "rare" and "vintage" Weston and Campbell figures. There is one vendor selling 5 flexible Freddies for $50.  All of the figures are diecast and come painted or unpainted.

jonathan

For Father's Day, I was able to sneak a few hours to myself to finish up a couple of projects.

One was a plastic kit, not considered a craftsman kit I think.  All the many, many parts were plastic, including all the detail rods and grab irons, which were highly breakable, especially when trying to remove them from the sprues.

This is a stock car, coupled to one of my Bachmann USRA 0-6-0s:

The details are impressive, albeit difficult to cut and assemble:

The transition from bell crank rod, to clevis, to cylinder brake rod is impressive for a plastic model:

The heavy weathering is intentional.  While the model came pre painted and marked, the parts were translucent, due to the thin plastic parts.  It took quite a bit of dullcote and weathering powder to get rid of the opaque effect.  

This grab iron broke twice while trying to assemble it.  I will have to replace it with a steel wire at some point:

I don't have any livestock to load, yet. So I attached the roof with a weathered thread temporarily:

The other project is a USRA Doublesheathed boxcar.  It has the postwar fascia, but kept the Andrews trucks:

I attempted the same transition from stemwinder to cylinder brake rod:

Less worry about breakage with resin, brass and steel:

I made the stirrup steps from brass flat bar stock.  They are quite sturdy.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day to all. Just sharing the fun I got to have today.

Regards,

Jonathan

on30gn15

Quote from: jonathan on June 19, 2016, 08:27:02 PM
I made the stirrup steps from brass flat bar stock.  They are quite sturdy.
Ahh, some cars down at model RR club, including some of my cars there, are showing the effects of use. Will have to use this idea.
What are specifics on how the steps are attached?
later, Forrest

jonathan

Indeed... I use 1/32" by 1/64" flat brass bar stock... Smallest I could find. It's available from K&S, through some hobby stores or on line.

Shape the brass to match the original stirrups, but a little longer. A #73 to #75 hole should be large enough to accommodate the brass stirrups. However, I do fine sand the stirrups down a bit to help them fit in the holes. The trick is the width of the plastic walls. You don't want to make the holes so big that they deform the walls.

I drop in a little CA with a needle to secure the steps.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

For on30Gn15, Here is a more complete explanation of my stirrup steps:

Most kits I build come with these beautifully detailed stirrups like these two:

However, they are easily broken or bent by normal use and handling... can even be ruined simply by trying to install them.

So, I use the bar stock:

And a couple tools:

to shape sturdier steps.  I can do this by copying the shapes as close as possible.... but recently I found a jig leftover from some kit in my past:

I do lose the nut and bolt detail, but I never lose the steps, which is even more important.

Regards,

Jonathan

on30gn15

Quote from: jonathan on June 26, 2016, 08:03:12 PM
I do lose the nut and bolt detail, but I never lose the steps, which is even more important.
;D A lot of our club members couldn't see the nuts and bolts anyway.
Guess lower body, or frame, needs to be notched or drilled for inserting the ends.
I have some small bar stock of appropriate sizes, somewhere, from model projects years and years ago. Will look for it over the next few days since our Independence day weekend is going to be rain pretty much straight through.
Thanks, appreciate it.
later, Forrest

jbrock27

Quote from: on30gn15 on July 03, 2016, 12:32:16 AM
Independence day weekend is going to be rain pretty much straight through.

Sorry to hear that is the case where you are :'(
Keep Calm and Carry On

on30gn15

Thanks. And it gets even more fun.
QuoteHazardous Weather Conditions
    Flood Warning in effect from July 3, 05:58 AM CDT until July 3, 06:00 PM CDT
    Flood Warning in effect from July 4, 04:54 PM CDT until July 7, 05:40 AM CDT
    Flash Flood Watch until July 4, 04:00 AM CDT
later, Forrest

jbrock27

That does not sound 'fun'.  :(  Stay safe!
Keep Calm and Carry On