News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Liquid Electrical Tape

Started by jbrock27, November 12, 2015, 12:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I do use shrink tubing a lot when doing wire work but also picked up a bottle of the above "just in case" .  It is good for fixing minor boo boos to wiring, such as holding heat to it too long when trying to shrink wrap :-[  It is also good for anywhere you need to insulate but don't want to cut or de-solder wires to get shrink tube around.

I found that instead of having to use the big honking plumber's brush that comes with the container, you can use a small model brush to apply the liquid tape (since a lot of the work on locos and such involves small wires) then clean the brush with charcoal lighter fluid so the brush can be reused.

It took a while for me to find any info on what to use to clean the brush and just thought I would pass that along for anyone interested in such things.

*Meant to post this in General; Yardmaster, can you please assist me with that?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

OK, good info.  Where did you get the liquid tape? 

jbrock27

Thank you.  I thought it could prove helpful other folks.

I got my small jar at Home Depot, mainly bc I had a gift card to put towards it, lol!  I have seen it online at Amazon too, for example.  It has a huge brush as part of the cap that I wanted to avoid using for all but bigger jobs.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

FYI:  There is also heat shrink tape if the need arises; likewise at Homley despot.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Thank you e.w.k..  Didn't know about shrink tape.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Another use for liquid tape is coating the solder side of PC boards before installation. Sometimes space is so tight the only way to get a board in is to just lay it on the chassis. Putting a couple of coats of liquid tape on the solder side of the board helps prevent shorts.

Those 'Micro-Brushes' you find at craft stores are handy for applying liquid tape in tight spaces.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on November 13, 2015, 07:02:35 AM
Those 'Micro-Brushes' you find at craft stores are handy for applying liquid tape in tight spaces.

Len

And they're meant to be disposable correct? So you don't have to get involved in having to clean them?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 13, 2015, 07:11:08 AM
Quote from: Len on November 13, 2015, 07:02:35 AM

Len

And they're meant to be disposable correct? So you don't have to get involved in having to clean them?

I guess you could if you really wanted to, but I never did. I just got them in packs of 100 and tossed when done.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Thanks for getting back to me.  Good tip.  Much easier to use disposable on the cheap.
Keep Calm and Carry On