DCC for older Bachmann Spectrum 44-Ton Switcher

Started by NSguy, December 12, 2015, 02:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSguy

Any suggestions for a decoder for  an older Bachmann Spectrum 44-to switcher? 

electrical whiz kid

You are looking at an extremely challenging proposition.  These locomotives are none too flush with room.  Personally, I would suggest toying around with an 'N'scale decoder.  The motors and the other innards aren't all that big, thus not too demanding for wattage, so check this thought out.  I have two Mantua Camelbacks, and did just that with them.  I also have a Keystone GE 44-ton switcher... I have as yet to get up the nerve...  A watchmaker I am not!

Rich C.

RAM

Now you say older, the question is.  How old.  If it is the old 2 motor job, than you have you work cut out for you.

Len

Don't know if it's the version you've got, but installation pics for one version can be found at:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/GE_44_Ton/Bachman%20GE%2044%20Ton%20Diesel%20Switcher.htm

You can use any small decoder rated for at least an amp and the pics at least show which color wire goes where on this version.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

NSguy

This looks like a good place to start.  I haven't removed the shell yet so I'm not sure which version I have.  Thanks for the help.
Bob Hayden