News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recommendation for new Locomotive

Started by steelerfan500, December 16, 2015, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelerfan500

Hello,
My son and I are fairly new to model trains and we have a basic oval setup with an 18" radius running a diesel Santa Fe with freight cars which we sometimes switch out for the 4 passenger cars we also have.  I would like to purchase a steam engine but I am having trouble deciding and would like a recommendation.  I want a decent quality engine without breaking the bank and I am not sure if a DCC sound locomotive would be worthwhile or not or should I go for a locomotive that smokes?  This setup runs around our Christmas tree. 

Thanks!

Barbara

billgiannelli

train around the Christmas tree; I love it!
I am somewhat new to rr modeling myself.....but one thought I had was to buy a locomotive that is DCC ready where you could add a DCC decoder later when you are ready to move to DCC and buy a DCC controller.
Bill

Flare

Quote from: billgiannelli on December 16, 2015, 03:36:13 PM
train around the Christmas tree; I love it!
I am somewhat new to rr modeling myself.....but one thought I had was to buy a locomotive that is DCC ready where you could add a DCC decoder later when you are ready to move to DCC and buy a DCC controller.
Bill

Seconded;  DCC is expensive and meant for simplifying control of multiple trains on a large layout.  Unless you plan to upgrade your tree loop to something complex, DCC equipment is unnecessary.

I would put the money toward a smoking model instead.

bapguy

Since you're using 18" radius track, go with the 0-6-0 or 2-6-0 DC model.    Joe

steelerfan500

:) Thanks for the quick replies!  I will look for a smoking unit then.  Perhaps my son will get into a more complex layout like you describe with his more permanent N scale layout and I can enjoy the train sounds and multiple locomotives with that.

jbrock27

I would NOT put $$ toward a smoking model, they're messy, dirty up track and rather gimmicky.  Agree with sticking with DC for what you are planning.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I would also recommend against a smoking steam locomotive as would almost all of the experienced modellers on here, for precisely the reasons that jbrock has stated. smoke for dirty track, which is the enemy of a good reliable running railroad.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

steelerfan500

I have heard that on other forums too, even from Lionel enthusiasts.  Thanks for the advice.  I am thinking about either the 2-8-0 or the 2-8-2.  I kind of like the 4-4-0 but my son does not.  I wish I had room for a 22" radius but I do not.

Hunt

Barbara, another option, read all the info in E-Z App.

steelerfan500

Ok, I will look at the E-Z App. 

Do you guys have an opinion on trains with sound?  I think they sound pretty cool but son doubts they sound real and isn't sure they are worth it.

ebtnut

Barbara- If you live in the Pittsburgh area, I suggest visiting one the model railroad club holiday open houses.  The Western Pennsylvania Model RR Musuem is located in Gibsonia, near the Turnpike. They are open on Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  More info on their web site. The McKeesport club is located on Walnut Street in McKeesport, just east of downtown.  They are open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  More info on their Facebook site.  You and your son can see what else is out there and talk with the club members about possible options.  With regard to sound effects, they are best using DCC which provides a lot greater range of sound options.  There are some models that are sound-equipped and will run on DC, but the sound effects are generally very limited in DC mode.  Sound models are also a good deal more expensive than standard DC and you have to buy a DCC power supply system to utilize DCC. 

jward

I have one of the sound value 2-6-0 locomotives and I like it a lot. I also have a couple of the diesels, and having been around the real ones of those particular types I can tell you the models do sound just like their big brothers. I run mine on dcc and can't say for sure what sounds you'll hear on dc, but I can blow the horn and ring the bell at will.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Myself, I run DC and don't do sound.  For me the extra $$ for what you get does not justify it for me.  That does not mean that others do not get enjoyment out of sound, as you can see by what has been posted here.  I think the idea to visit a club that has DCC running locos with sounds to get a sense of what they can sound like, is a great one.  :)  Be sure to ask lots of questions if you get there.

And oh, BTW,   J  -  E -  T -  S!   JETS!!   JETS!!   JETS!!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mdaskalos

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 17, 2015, 08:15:23 PM
And oh, BTW,   J  -  E -  T -  S!   JETS!!   JETS!!   JETS!!

December swooners!! Might as well get ready - It's happening.

And (cueing up the cheesy trumpet, just like at Heinz Field): "Here we go, Steelers, Here we go!

jbrock27

You're of course talking about the STEELERS being swooners, right?!? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On