News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

modifying a engine with DCC

Started by Carl Bohman, December 16, 2015, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Bohman

So I am new to trains with DCC.
I have a Bachmann Set with a Sante Fe engine.
I have purchased a DCC power set and a Bachmann DCC controller with a wire harness.
I see that on the engines motor there is a capacitor and I guess a resistor.
When I add the wires from the DCC controller do I remove the resistor and capacitor?
Thanks in advance!

jlc41

I too am new to model trains. I purchased two Bachmann sets for my grandson. They are DC controlled. One is a 0-6-0 steam loco Chattanooga set. The other is an Santa Fe Flyer set, diesel loco. Can I make them DCC, and how do I take them apart to install the decoders? Also what is the designation of this diesel, i.e. 0-4-0 or 4-0-4???

Hunt

Quote from: jlc41 on December 21, 2015, 08:04:03 AM

. . .  Also what is the designation of this diesel, i.e. 0-4-0 or 4-0-4???

EMD FT diesel locomotive is included in the Bachmann HO scale  Santa Fe Flyer train set.

The AAR wheel arrangement for the EMD FT diesel locomotive is B-B

AAR wheel arrangement method of classifying is used for diesel locomotives, which counts axes while the Whyte Notation method of classifying used for steam locomotives is based on counting wheels.

Click Here for Whyte Notation information

Click Here for AAR wheel arrangement information

jlc41

Thanks for the infoe on the diesel classifications.
Now, how about making the two engines noted DCC???

ebtnut

You need to go to the Parts, Service and Info section of the web site and search the product diagrams for your units.  They are listed in Section 3, the Standard Line models section.  EMD FTA, and USRA 0-6-0.  The diagrams should give you guidance on disassembly.  Neither of these units is "DCC Ready", which means you will need to install your own decoders.  This may not be a job for a newbie.  I don't know if the motors are isolated from the frame on these models, which is absolutely necessary for the DCC to work. 

jlc41

jward

I recently did a dcc conversion of the Chattanooga 0-6-0. it was a pretty simple job, as the loco fits the definition of dcc ready. the motor leads are separate from the leads from the wheels, and the motor is isolated from the chassis. there is a pc board where connections from the power pickups (2 screws on the pc board that tap into the 2 haves of the chassis which conduct electricity from the wheels) 2 wires from the motor and 2 wires from the headlight. there is not a lot of room inside the boiler for a decoder, so I removed the smoke unit. a z scale decoder will fit in the recess that held the smoke unit. I soldered the motor and headlight leads to the appropriate ones on the decoder, and soldered a pair of small washers to the ends of the decoder red and black leads (track power) which were then screwed to the frame halves using the original screws from the pc board. believe me when I say the hardest part of the job was figuring out how to get the boiler off the chassis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jlc41

JWard, thanks for the infoe. Now I just have to figure out how to disassemble the loco. If you don't mind where did you get the decoder from?

jward

I used a digtrax dz125 that I picked up at a local hobby shop. you could also try online at places like modeltrainstuff.com

retail should be about $25
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA