News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

feeder wires

Started by jlc41, February 15, 2016, 02:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlc41

Would it make sense to solder feeder wires to the rail joiners as one connection?

rogertra

Quote from: jlc41 on February 15, 2016, 02:39:14 PM
Would it make sense to solder feeder wires to the rail joiners as one connection?

That's what I do, solder feeder to rail joiners.  But I only soldier together two three foot sections so there is an expansion gap every two lengths, give or take, of flex track.

Cheers

Roger T.

jlc41

Thanks for the replies. Am running DC and I want to be sure not to have power problems.

jward

if you do decide to run feeders, I would solder them to the sides of the rails away from the rail joiners, rather than solder them to the underside of the joiners. solder joints can fail, and it is difficult to resolder the underside of a joiner once the track is permanently fastened down. with the feeders easily accessable, you can often fix a failed solder joint by reheating the joint and letting the solder resolidify.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jlc41 on February 15, 2016, 06:37:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. Am running DC and I want to be sure not to have power problems.

Then I suggest, and 2nd, soldering your rail joiners.  You will be amazed at the difference it makes.  For me, it also demonstrates that multiple feeder wires are not needed when you do this.

Re: feeder wires and soldering rail joiners: I have seen people successfully take single strand feeder wire, small enough in gauge put it through one end of the joiner and then solder the rail joiner.  I recommend using Rosin Past Flux on what you are going to solder.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Another method (for the advanced modeler),
No rail joiner is soldered. Solder feeders to outside of rails as near the center of piece of track as practical.  In area of high visibility, the feeder is soldered not to the side of the rail but soldered to the rail base replacing and formed to look like a spike. These feeders can be placed on gauge side (inside) of the track.

HoModeler

Nice layout & buildings.... Not too sure on soldering power feeder wires to rail joiners before & how reliable that would be over time... But I give you 2 thumbs up for doing it... My power feeder wires are soldered right to the track rails themselves.... I went a bit overkill on my power feed wires more so by my crossovers I put power feeders on both sides of my crossovers I run full DCC on my layout so I wanted to make extra sure I had enough power going to my entire layout....

rogertra

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 15, 2016, 11:11:58 PM
Dear All,
Try:
http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/150-842?gclid=CPa-14C0-8oCFQFahgodaVIE1A
the Bach-man

Agree with Wayne and not much good for people using scale rail rather than "toy train", as the page says,  code 100 rail.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I agree that buying pre-soldered rail joiners is not the way to go, if you can solder yourself.  And short of having some medical condition that would prevent you from doing so, if you don't know how to solder, it is skill that should be learned for this hobby.

I disagree there is anything wrong with using Code 100 rail.

Just so there is no confusion, my suggestion involves having already placed the rail joiner in place, then inserting the thin wire, then soldering.

Quote from: Hunt on February 15, 2016, 09:19:44 PM

Another method (for the advanced modeler),
No rail joiner is soldered.

This might work if one employs flex track exclusively, but can't see that as being a practical solution if you utilize a large portion of sectional track.  And please, no further intimations about "advanced modelers".
Keep Calm and Carry On