News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Time Passenger Cars

Started by Dennis_NS, February 20, 2016, 09:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis_NS

Did Bachmann quit making the 40' passenger cars in N Scale?

brokemoto

If they are, in fact, out of production, I would wonder why B-mann does not bring them back, especially since it has upgraded its 1870s eight wheeler.

They are still available in sets.  In addition, there are plastic-bagged-with-cardboard-hanger packages of old B-mann rolling stock running around.   I have seen the wood passenger cars in those bags.  In fact, it is how I acquired the Durango and Silverton cars.  I did not want the USRA 0-6-0 or the other stuff in the set, just the cars.  I saw them in these plastic bags, so I bought them.  I run them behind my D&RGW 2-8-0s and
2-6-0s, which MDC and Athearn manufactured.   They are foobies as standard gauge, anyhow, as the Durango and Silverton is narrow gauge.

MDC and Athearn sold fifty foot and thirty four foot wood passenger cars in N scale.  Athearn bought out MDC  a few years back.  Athearn has not issued any of the nineteenth century MDC models in some time. 

The B-mann as well as the MDC/Athearn cars are out there.  Some dealers, vendors and shops have them as NOS.   You will see them at shows, as well.   All of the above also pop up on FeePay.  In fact, there is a guy on FeePay and N Scale Yard Sale (a ya-HOO! group) who puts up the unpainted MDC cars from time to time.   He must have bought out some old MDC stock sometime close to the sale to Athearn.

B-mann has two body styles, coach and baggage/passenger.   The MDC fifty foot ("overland") cars come in four:  baggage/passenger, coach, "Pullman" and "business".   The thirty four foot ("Overton") come in four, as well:  baggage/mail, baggage/passenger, coach and "business".   The baggage/passenger is based on the car used on the "Hooterville Cannonball" combine that appeared in the television shows Petticoat Junction and Green Acres.

There are some on Shapeways who offer nineteenth century passenger cars, as well.   You must get hold of some Bestine or similar solvent to get rid of whatever it is that is on the bodies of the cars.  I understand that getting hold of Bestine is easier said than done, these days.

spookshow

I think the only way to get them new these days is in trainsets (Durango & Silverton, Spirit of Christmas). Which is really a shame, because they're pretty much the only game in town when it comes to cars of this type.

Cheers,
-Mark

brokemoto

The name of the product line of which I am thinking is RERAILED or RERAILERS, I forget exactly.  They come in plastic bags with cardboard hangers.  I do not know if B-mann sells them or if they sold a bunch of stuff to someone who is marketing them in this way.

Another item, on B-mann's own website, under "N scale warehouse finds", there is showing available a Durango and Silverton combine for about ten bananas.  The Durango and Silverton coach and Christmas combine are showing "SOLD OUT".

James in FL

I believe Spook is correct.
They seem to be easily acquired from eBay, does not appear to be a shortage in that venue.
Ten dollars with shipping is, IMO, a fair price. I have picked a few at shows in the 4 to 5 dollar range.
As far as I know, not even the newest versions come with knuckle couplers.

GRASHLEY

I have purchased several of these on E bay.  They are readily available, either as single cars or 3 car sets.  All of the ones I have seen are Rapido couplers.

brokemoto

The MT conversion, using the existing trucks, is 1133.   You can use 1134 if you want a longer shank version.  The conversion is not difficult, but do buy the coupler tweezers. 

If you want to do a body mount, you could use 1023, but I would expect that it would need a large shim, if you used the existing trucks and did not lower the ride height.  The ride height on these is a bit high.