Mantua 41 foot flat car with pipes with die cast under frame

Started by brokenrail, April 08, 2016, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Still trying to figure out what this has to do with Bachmann products....

Len

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 17, 2016, 10:22:57 AM
Still trying to figure out what this has to do with Bachmann products....

From the OP: "If not it will be the new frame for a Bachmann gondola that is waiting to be finished."

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ken G Price

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

James in FL

I see at least three others on this same page Yardy, why single out this one?
A Bachmann body was at least mentioned as a fit to the Mantua frame.

brokenrail

Len has the correct car.
It seems to be well made for it's  time.I am trying to figure out how to remove the axles to add some metal Wheels ,but it does not look like it was made to come apart.The side frames are metal,along with the truck frame that looks like insulated from the metal frame with some plastic sandwiched in there. Anyone ever change out those plastic wheels in this type of truck?.There some type of trick ,besides bending the frame that does not look like a good option to me??
Johnny

jbrock27

If a way cannot be determined to remove the wheel-sets from the original trucks, how about considering removing the whole truck, mount new non talgo trucks with wheel-sets in their place and body mount a Kadee coupler box and EZ Mate Mark II or Kadee coupler?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Johnny - Those trucks were not designed to have any parts replaced. About half the time trying to spread them to replace the wheels results in a broken truck. Like jbrock said, your best bet is to replace the entire truck if you want metal wheels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokenrail

Thanks for heading me in the right direction.I wonder where this tooling came from ,because the metal Mantua frame has a hole in each corner ,the same that secures the plastic Bachmann undercarriage that retains a metal weight.Funny thing the Metal Mantua under frame lines right up with those pins and the thickness is equal to the plastic and the metal weight of the Bachmann model .There are just a  few straight protrusions molded at the bottom of the Bachmann gondola body that holds the weight in position .If those are removed .The Mantua frame will fit like it was made for it. Have to find some trucks for it ,either way .The Bachmann gondola looks to be the better candidate for that good frame. Appreciate all !!! ;D Even Yardy for the stretch!
Johnny