News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandpuff

Chaz:

Your new layout is looking great with each new group of photos you post.
I am very happy to see Peter Sam, Sir Handel, and Duncan again running on your layout.

Great work,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Mulfred100

Hello all. Back by popular demand or unpopular demand or some sort of Mulfred demand. Anyway I'm back and I was asked by Terencethetractor525 to show you my layout as I've been very busy over recent weeks building it all up, (basically I took the old one up pretty much started fresh) I've been posting all my progress on Instagram and Terence requested I do the same on here.

So basically I've got a big table in the middle of the room with sort of two L shaped extensions. One holding the Skarloey railway sheds, Ben Gals and a special new location I've been putting in all week. The other board there's what will become Crovens Gate, the incline quarry, Castle causeway and viaduct.

Now on the main board. There's several key series 4 locations including...
Glennock Station

The mountain runby

A hybrid between Skarloey and Rheneas stations

This uses the best of both locations in the show. Having a mountain and road going over on Skarloey's side merging into the more town and shed side for Rheneas' side. Still a big work in progress.
Cros-ny-Cuirn

Rheneas Tunnel

There are also the mountain side and lakeside (picnic area) that 8 am working on but they are still in the early stages so don't really feel comfortable show casing them however I do want to showcase this location.
Ben Gals

Again in the early stages of developing this part of the line but I was so happy to finally figure out where to add this location. Its situated beyond the points to the sheds extension just past lakeside.
And lastly my latest edition
Bluebell Valley

This was the main reason Terence wanted me to showcase tuismlayout. On Sunday I came across a great bit of plywood someone didn't need so I added it to the layout beside the sheds as I always planned to have the standard guage line curve round much like in the tv show. Anyway me and Terence started discussing what I could put on this part of the layout. Few ideas I had were Bolder quarry and thr far side of Crovens gate shed/works where Rusty had his chat with Douglas and Percy and the Bluebell valley was mentioned too and the more i thought the more I knew it had to be this. It fits so well with my series 4 theme for the layout and if next week Bachmann announce Stepney it will be even more perfect. The station shelter is scratch built. The platform for the Standard guage line is using a coach maintenance platform and the narrow guage is basically a old platform I had cut in half. Very happy with this so far. Its still in development but I can already see the great potential this location has and has always been a favourite of mine. I've even got Bluebells. Anyway that's my updates. Thank you for reading and listening to me waffle

Kemptown Branch

Your layout looks really good! I especially like the Bluebell Valley portion of it! Thanks for sharing!
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TerencetheTractor525

Glad to see the layout pics on here! They really look brilliant, and I look forward to seeing how the layout continues to progress, especially the Bluebell Valley. This is another reason why I hope that Bachmann will announce Stepney. It seems that Duck is currently serving as a placeholder for him ;).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

Mulfred, I am thoroughly impressed with your new setup.  The attention to detail and accuracy to season 4 is clearly shown and I look forward to seeing more updates!  Welcome back :)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Anthony P2

Awesome job, Mulfred! I love how much you've incorporated into such a small space!  :)

Mulfred100

Thank you so much for all the feedback hopefully I'll have some more updates very soon.  ;)

Mulfred100

Apologies for the Double post. I received a belated birthday gift today from my best friend. The Black Lock Folley. Which I've used to for my Castle causeway set on my layout. Its not series 4 accurate but its as close as I can get.

Like I say its not as accurate to series 4 as I would like but I think its as close as i can get. I've made a short video of the three Narrow Guage engines running past with the coaches and rolling stock. https://youtu.be/3oIQ2CAU4RU
Again thank you so much for the positive feedback.

TerencetheTractor525

While I just uploaded a new update video on the narrow gauge extension of my Sodor layout to YouTube yesterday, I wanted to share the link to the video through the forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzwzArTY9o

Hope you enjoy, and make sure to check out Mulfred100's update video as well :):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gYOsdYZKkg

grandpuff

Hello to you all:
I have not seen very much posted here recently and I have not had any new projects myself in a while. With todays Bachmann Announcements that may change going forward I hope. First I am happy to see Chaz' new HOn30 layout get under construction and look forward to further progress. And second I am glad to see Mulfred100's layout progress. Your layouts fidelity to Season 4 is very impressive as Chaz has commented earlier. Both of you keep up the great work you are doing and please keep us all updated here.

I thought that I would post a recap of the HOn30 Locomotive and rolling stock projects that I have completed over the last 3 years or so. The catalyst that got me started on this journey was Chaz' Duke model posted here back on page 3 of this thread. Duke has always been my favorite Narrow Gauge model so with Chaz help I was able to build my own model which got me started on completing my Narrow Gauge Collection. I now have a total of 14 Narrow Gauge locomotives and various passenger and freight cars plus I have built a 2 by 4 foot narrow gauge layout to run them on. I also of course have all of the Bachmann Narrow Gauge models produced so far and when the Peter Sam and Sir Handel models arrive I plan on re-naming my models Stewart and Falcon, So I will add several photos here showing my collection.

Adding my photos may take me a while so please be patient and check back later if I do not have them all posted yet.

#1 Duke

#2 Duke and Blue Coaches

#3 Spudger Started by BassTBone

#4 My 3 Brake Vans

#5 Mighty Mac

#6 Mighty Mac and Green Open Coaches

#7 Peter Sam

#8 Sir Handel

#9 Duncan

#10 Proteus with Gun Powder Cars

#11 Freddie

#12 Luke with Deer in Cab

#13 Millie

#14 Ivo Hugh

#15 My HOn30 2 by 4 Foot Layout

I had a great time building all of these models and look forward to any future releases from Bachmann.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing my Narrow Gauge Collection,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Mulfred100

Thank you so much for all the kind words. Grandpuff I love your collection. You are so talented at making these engines and I seriously take my hat off to anyone who has that kind of talent. I mentioned this in the 2021 predictions but I think a narrow guage Troublesome truck would benefit the range alot if introduce and give a bit more character to the narrow guage rolling stock line.
Layout talk, I have been pretty busy the last few weeks with the layout. I haven't made any ground breaking progress but there are alot more areas on the "close to completion" side now.
Crovens Gate

I'll start here since this area is probably going to take up alot of work completing. This week I've actually started work on the platforms for the Standard guage lines. I won an old beat up Hornby Dryaw station building with platforms and footbridge on ebay which the platforms will be used for the big engines side of the station. The platform will be three lengths long with the ramp and each end. As for the narrow guage platform I have all the platfrom parts for that coming in the post so hopefully they will arrive early to mid next week depending on how fast the seller dispatches the item. Once the platforms are in place then begins the difficult task of building the station building. Like I say it will be a long job but hopefully it will look good once it is finished. Also I will note that this station will only have the two standard guage lines rather then the five in the tv shows. As I don't have enough room to build the whole station just the part where the big and little engines meet. Also I Will mention this will also meet a small section of Crovens Gate yards where Rusty asked Douglas for advice which will be the far end of the board.
Ben Gals

Theres not a great deal changed here. I've added some temporary road signs until I can either pick up some decent ones or make some that look like the show. I do have a couple of "beware of trains" signs which just need a bit colour adding to them. I have also added a little barrier/railing at either side just before the crossing similar to the bridge before the crossing just sadly I don't have the room to add the bridge so railings are the next best thing.
Valley View

Again nothing major has changed here besides the addition of some 16cm tall pine trees. (Need to order more to add here and elsewhere on the layout) the fence and gate and a few flowers. Its all pinned and ballasted now too. One thing I am thinking is I may have to film it from the other side (like the bottom photo) but I'm not too sure yet. If I do it will be mirrored to the tv show but I'll cross that bridge once I reach it.
Glennock

Once again nothing majorly new just extra details to make it look more like series 4. Added another layer of hedging foliage along the line side. Bit grass scatter mixed in with the dirt path ect.
Cros-ny-Cuirn

The first big difference you will notice here is the open air shed I made which now is a Home for Terence. Most of the track is pinned down up to the little curve in the station as I still need to wait for the points to come into stock so I can order them to put the station siding in place where Duke and Stuart had their talk about Duke getting old. This is most definitely one of my favourite parts of the line so far.
Crovens Gate sheds

The only major difference here is the new open air shed I made while making the one for Cros-ny-Cuirn. It took along time but I am finally happy with how it looks now compared to the tv showm I always doubt my ability to scratch build things or modify them to look more tv accurate. Thank you for all the feedback so far and I hope I can share more in future when more of the line is complete.

TerencetheTractor525

Stunning progress! Keep up the great work :).

Mulfred100

Hi all. I've been very busy with the layout once again. The main board is in full working order. Theres a few kinks I need to iron out but I made a short video of Skarloey, Rusty and Rheneas all running around the layout today. https://youtu.be/lFf6aEOBD8k
I hope you all enjoy

grandpuff

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All:

I have noticed that no one has posted anything since August 2020 when Mulfred100 post his latest layout progress photos, thank you for those. I have just finished 3 narrow gauge locos for a friend on this forum. The locos were Duke, Bertram, and Duncan. While working on these I decided to build my self a Bertram too. I used the usual Langley UK loco kit. a Fleischmann Piccolo 0-4-0 power chassis, and Narrow Planet brass nameplates.

Narrow Gauge Bertram

Bertram is the 15th narrow gauge loco that I have built over the last few years and is probably the last one for a while. I think that the only other model in the RWS that I have not built is Victor.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

Happy New Year Grandpuff, Milfred, Chaz and others.

I always enjoy the process and achievements to your layouts. I'll enjoy your continuous work.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden