Bachmann Streamlined Pax Cars (w/EZ-mate coupling)

Started by airferber, September 30, 2016, 04:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airferber

Since the current catalogue says that the N scale Fluted, Streamlined Passenger Carriages have body Mounted knuckle couplers, what is the safest minimum radius for operation at slow speeds? FYI, I have a layout with a minimum turning radius of 11 inches. and i am considering upgrading a consist to body-mount Coupling.

-Aaron

plas man

I have a rake of 4 and they will go around Bachmann train set curves (2nd radius / 11 inch ).
I have not tried them on 9 inch curves .  hope this helps .

Desertdweller

I have no experience with these cars, but passenger cars with body-mounted couplers are incompatable with passenger cars with truck-mounted couplers.  Truck-mounted couplers are the industry standard for N-scale passenger cars.

I have converted one passenger car with body-mounted couplers to truck-mounted couplers, with less than satisfactory results.  Very short head-end cars with body-mounted couplers will work with cars with truck-mounted couplers.

If the truck pivot is close enough to the end of the car, trucks with mounted couplers might be used.  Underbody details may need to be moved or cut away to provide swing clearance.

Les

airferber

Quote from: Desertdweller on October 02, 2016, 12:13:29 PM
I have no experience with these cars, but passenger cars with body-mounted couplers are incompatable with passenger cars with truck-mounted couplers.  Truck-mounted couplers are the industry standard for N-scale passenger cars.

I have converted one passenger car with body-mounted couplers to truck-mounted couplers, with less than satisfactory results.  Very short head-end cars with body-mounted couplers will work with cars with truck-mounted couplers.

If the truck pivot is close enough to the end of the car, trucks with mounted couplers might be used.  Underbody details may need to be moved or cut away to provide swing clearance.

Les

Ok.  Thanks.  Info sounds sensible to me.  Another fact is that weight distribution and balance is another important factor.

Desertdweller

It seems odd to me that Bachmann's very good streamlined full dome car isn't compatible with their new streamlined cars.

Les