Advice--Durable Lasting Train set for 6 year old, what you your recommendations?

Started by overrunwithsons, December 07, 2007, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

You can find plenty of 6 year-old friendly g gauge sets. They have plastic tracks (no risk of electric shock) and a battery powered engine controlled by a simple forward, reverse remote. Lionel makes a Polar Express set that has plastic track and I assume it works the same way. Its not very expensive too!(For a train anyway.) Look for it on Target.com or at target it self, they have it cheap.

If you want a real model you can't go wrong with a Life-Like starter set (thats what I started with). They're great, they're durable, easy to run, and best of all cheap and replaceable.

-Good luck, PRR ;)
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Guilford Guy

No. If your son is into trains don't bother with a Cheapo life like set or a G Gauge Polar Express. There is no risk of electric shock from the rails. Get a LGB or Bachmann G scale starter set since it will last a while and  your son will learn to be careful with things he will cherish.
The Lionel Cheapo G scale set has a much greater chance of breaking than a Bachmann or LGB.
Alex

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Really good replies.

My two centavos:  After seeing the Williams stuff being run at a local train club, I would recommend a Williams set or engines/rolling stock.  They run beautifully, are durable, easily repaired, look nice and are a great value.  Too, they are well discounted, especially the last day of a train show, e.g. the York, PA area show.  I intend to get a switcher for my 6 year old who has been running the Lionel Polar Express and the MTH Pennsylvania passenger sets, without a hitch, since he was 5 years old.  I do not think you would be unhappy with that.

Best Wishes!

Jack

Guilford Guy

Alex

Ned

Another possibility for a youngster - especially if price is a consideration  - is Ready Made toys (readymadetoys.com).

I only have one of their "Beeps" so have limited experience with them but read many favorable comments on an O gauge related website.

Ned

hobo

Ok, one more opinion. 

My daughter is 5 and runs my trains all the time.  I have G scale Bachmann and LGB under the Christmas tree that she plays with all the time.  Although she has trouble placing the engines and cars on the track by herself she has mastered running the trains.  She knows not to place anything on the track and she must stop the train before switching directions.

And I absolutely love 'playing' trains with her.  I'm sure your husband would enjoy spending time with his son doing the same.  He will get to play with some cool toys and build a lifetime of memories.

Regardless of what train you purchase for your son (G or O scale) he will still need some superivision.  Remember that trains require electricity so you may not want your 6 year old plugging in the power pack.  I beleive this is the reason for the minimum age on train sets.

PRRThomas11

Quote from: Guilford Guy on December 09, 2007, 11:10:55 AM
No. If your son is into trains don't bother with a Cheapo life like set or a G Gauge Polar Express. There is no risk of electric shock from the rails. Get a LGB or Bachmann G scale starter set since it will last a while and  your son will learn to be careful with things he will cherish.
The Lionel Cheapo G scale set has a much greater chance of breaking than a Bachmann or LGB.

When they said there is no chance of electric shock they lied. I would know.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Guilford Guy

Quote from: PRRThomas11 on December 13, 2007, 05:08:30 PM
Quote from: Guilford Guy on December 09, 2007, 11:10:55 AM

When they said there is no chance of electric shock they lied. I would know.

Fine, there is little to no risk of electric shock unless you put your tongue to the rails, and even then its very minor. Voltage for HO trains is usually less than 16, voltage for G Gauge Trains are below 24, same for O.
Alex

taz-of-boyds

I have never tried licking the rails, just 9 V batteries.

The electric trains have a really big advantage.  It is hard for a model train to use up all the electricity from the wall outlet.  It is always ready to run and my family and I have worlds more fun than with batteries or push power.

Like Hobo said, plugging things into the wall can be dangerous, but that applies to all the stuff we plug in.  And the caution needed.  And a damaged controller could be dangerous, which is like many other things we plug-in etc.

Have fun
Charles

robman

Hi there. Just going to put in my two cents worth as I feel this is an interesting subject. When I was seven my parents went away for a short time and left me with what I wanted more than anything, an electric train set. After much searching and looking they chose Marklin and although I now model with other brands that train set did stirling service for many many years. It was well made, reliable and almost indestructable but you must also realise that it was something that I had wanted and even at that age I looked after it and it lasted many many years. Maybe its another brand you could look at. Cheers rob.
Modeling over there over here