Banta Silver Bull Saloon. An HO scale build thread.

Started by WoundedBear, October 12, 2018, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Yeah. I'd love to have a dedicated project space like that. I have to make due with a portable drafting board with the tilt legs folded up, and a couple of plastic tubs to keep supplies in.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Today......another morning of work has come and gone. Today we got the roof panels trimmed and painted. Trim as needed, flush in some spots, other areas get an eighth inch overhang. A bit of strip wood for the ends of the eaves.

And a dusting of black and grey primers to serve as a base coat of color.

Back to the lighting now. The little bulb holders were glued and clamped in place overnight then I strung the wires through the holes. Five bulbs should provide enough light. These are grain of rice bulbs, and with wood buildings, heat isn't really an issue anyways.

One wire from each bulb got routed through each hole in the floor, then I bundled those groups together and soldered the ends. Positive to one lead and negative to the other for those of you struggling with DC wiring. Then I built a strip styrene foundation to protect the wires and allow space for them. The styrene also ensures that the floor stays FLAT over time. The wires get tapes to the bottom for safekeeping while I finish up.

Test Fire!!!

Gotta make sure chit works now, before you get too far along lol. Grabbed an old MRC TechII that I have for such occasions. I'm liking it so far  ;D

Now that the electrical is out of the way...........I can get back to the build.

Windows are next on the to-do list. Six pieces make up each of the upper floor windows assemblies. A frame, a sill, two sashes and two panes of "glass" Laser kits usually have self adhesive backing on the sashes to make glazing a breeze. Banta kits are no exception. Once the window is built up, place it into the wall opening and secure with a drop of glue in each corner.

I didn't do any sort of an interior for this building, so I had to frost the windows to hide the internal wiring.

Clear windows would have looked like this.......

By spraying the backside of the glazing with a light mist of Dull-Cote I got this effect. No wires visible, but all the light comes through. It also has the bonus of going darkish once the lights go out too.

So.....after today, I have this on my bench. Next is more windows.

Sid

WoundedBear

This morning's task was to get the windows and door finished up. The main floor windows are a single sash and a little different frame. No sill this time, just two trim pieces to adorn the frame. Here's all six front windows ready to be installed.

The back and side windows and doors are all installed as of today......................

And the front fascia is done with the exception of the right hand front door. I need to let the glue on the left door set up before I can start aligning the right door in the opening.

More soon.............

Sid

jonathan

WoundedBear

;D Thanks Jon!

This morning was an abbreviated session. Got the front porch posts cut and installed. Note the slight bevel sanded into the bottom edge of the one. This helps guide it through those holes. A small dab of glue secures everything, once you ensure the upper balcony is square and level.

Then the fancy scroll work trim. Man, this stuff is paper thin and delicate. A small piece did crack off as I was trying to remove the sections from the carrier sheet, but with some fine tweezer work it was able to be fit back into place. I just used a flat white primer on these parts..........same as the window sashes.

Gluing them down is tricky. I first thought spray glue, but nope......didn't even attempt it after a second thought. A paint brush and thinned white glue was next thought. In the end, I rubbed the backsides across the top of a school glue stick, those ones that go on purple and dry clear. Then with the tweezers, drop it into place and gently press it home to secure it.

These really stand out on the facade.

Enjoy!

Sid

Terry Toenges

My personal tastes would have had me omitting the scroll work but that's just me. Maybe just simple curved pieces in the corners would have done it for me. You did a great job with it.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

Thanks Terry. I think as I go along and add more trim, you will see that the scroll work becomes a little less prominent. The building is supposed to have that wild west look to it.

Today was another short session. My wife is home from work for the week, she works two weeks in and one week out, in a camp in northern BC. It's a "fly-in" type of job.

Anyhow.......this morning I managed to get the balcony support pieces cut and installed, and the piece of 2X4 that goes under them at the front edge. Also the lower corbels got glued in place today. Here's more of that white trim to offset the scroll work  ;)

And finally, the roof panels got final fit and glued down permanently. I drilled a small hole for the stack to poke through.

So here we sit, 2 weeks from when I started, with over 50 hours into this and close to a week still to go......I think. I never try to predict how fast I can build. It takes as long as it takes  ;) More pics as we get them!

Sid

Ken Huck

Can't wait until this place opens up.  Will there a piano player ?

Ken

jonathan

Turning out top-notch!

I don't know what the kit supplies for railing on the upper deck... chain would look great... or 2X4s... either way, it's an eye-catcher.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Rolling right along..........

Had a long morning today. My Ol' Lady took off with my buddy's Ol' Lady early to go shopping. Turn up the tunes  ;D

Today was all about getting the false front, top edge trim finished. These little pieces hide the plywood look the edges have from laminating all the layers together. The first picture shows one dead center. The little curved piece.

Yes, curved. Flat pieces don't like curves. Until you convince them it's all right. In the next picture you can see how I use the handle of my X-Acto knife as a mandrel to form the piece around. Once shaped, it is much easier to have the glue hold it in place.

Work your way across both edges until everything is capped nicely. Be sure all the little bits are in alignment. Just prior to doing the capping, the two rear false front panels got glued on the rear face.

The next thing to work on, is the roof and rear panels of the tower peak. First thing that is needed is a cleat across the bottom to glue the backboards to.

Using 2X6 or 2X8 material, plank in and form the roof and rear wall, then add trim at the bottom. The back edge of the roof panel was left jagged for a little visual interest.

Now the handrails..............

Jonathan......I liked your chain idea. But when I got looking, I had nothing suitable. That G scale diorama I built last year ate up a lot of my scale chain. It's on the re-stock list. I chose to go with traditional wooden railings. The balcony is done. I capped the 6X6 posts with a 4X6 for a rail, and made toe boards from 2X4. Doubled up across the tower to add some detail. The lower level rails are started, again using 2X4.

And that's all for now folks. Tomorrow is an adventure. We're heading about 90 miles east of town here to go scout out another 37 Dodge. Wish us luck.

Yeah, more car stuff. For those of you into cars, here's vids of me and my buddy from last summer. I'm in the blue altered T and Buddy is in the Copper T roadster.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlIkL4C91mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3Rf59vPrs

Watch the tires crack....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOXhL_Q0TwU

Sid

Ken Huck

That is a really nice building.  Looks like it could go any layout.  Thanks for the step-by-step
and have fun tomorrow.  I really enjoyed following along on your 'blog'.

Ken

Warflight

Amazing work!

This gives me confidence to do some of my own B.T.S. kits... Thanks for sharing! You RAWKK!

Terry Toenges

That second video - Was he drifting over to the inside on that?
The building looks great.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Gorgeous!  I want to step in and have a drink at the bar.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I might get that building.  Although, modeling a later period, I'd remove the half circular parts of the cornice, leave off the jigsaw scrollwork, and either paint  it white or make the whole thing unpainted wood  .