Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2020

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 16, 2019, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

Diesel's HO Scale tooling has problems because the eye mechanism isn't right for every Class 08 character, BUT, when Bachmann eventually gets to Diesel in N Scale, that wouldn't be a problem at all. The N Scale models don't have moving eyes because they're too small to have that.

So, when Bachmann eventually makes N Scale Diesel, Paxton and Sidney's faces would look perfect, since there would be no eye mechanism to worry about. No need for painted borders around the face either.

Now that James has been announced for N Scale, the next engine can go one of two ways. Bachmann could make both N Scale Gordon and Henry, since they'd both share the same chassis, with Gordon having added trailing wheels. Unlike Large Scale, N Scale would be much more flexible with Gordon and Henry's sizes. As for the other way, Bachmann could make Emily the fourth N Scale engine, just so we'd have a female engine in the N Scale range. Emily was the first female engine to be made in both HO and Large Scales, and if Bachmann makes her in N Scale, they of course have to make her coaches as well. If Bachmann makes Gordon and Henry next, they'll have to make the Express Coaches in N Scale.

I'm pretty sure Diesel would be a later priority for N Scale. Edward was the last of the original Steam Team to be made in HO Scale, and the same could be like that for N Scale.

As for N Rolling Stock, they announced three tankers: Oil, Fuel, and Water. I'm pretty sure the N Scale Water Tanker would look just like the HO Scale version because the HO model is shown for it in the catalog. A while back, I remember someone saying the Large Scale version looked better. Still surprised the Milk Tanker wasn't announced yet. I think for now, the biggest request for N Scale Rolling Stock would be the Milk Tanker.

Who do you think should be next for N Scale after James?
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Quote from: TrainCollector on February 11, 2020, 08:38:46 PM
When I was at York I suggested to the Bachmann Representatives they make a limited edition James Goes Buzz Buzz. I think that's where the idea for busy bee James came from. I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna get busy bee James. I can't wait until it gets released.

Mattel has been making Busy Bee James merch in recent years and it's almost obvious that they had an influence on Bachmann making Busy Bee James too.  That being said though a James covered in bees with a red nose would have actually been a little nicer and even more exciting on a more nostalgic level, so admittedly I would buy that sooner than Busy Bee James. :P

As far as the next N scale engine goes I could honestly see Toby happening next.  He's a simple boxy like tooling that has been majorly popular in HO and large scale and was one of the first five engines to be introduced in Bachmann's UK lineup.  To add if production is slow for the range Bachmann could still announce him and have him on the back burner kinda like how they announced Rusty in narrow gauge while waiting on Rheneas at the time.  Plus if siderods are going to continue to be as large as they are on the Thomas and Percy models I'm finding larger engines a little less likely to happen (as much as I would prefer Gordon), but I think overall Toby is the safest and most likely option.  Plus if they announce Henrietta and reuse the tooling for Hannah like they didn't do in large scale or even reuse the motor and chassis for Toby to make Mavis I see that as both major win-wins.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

Another good point, Chaz. Maybe the fourth N Scale engine should be Toby.

With N Scale Toby, Bachmann could finally make Henrietta with a face, along with Hannah. It would also be a good idea to reuse Toby's chassis for Mavis. The only issue with Mavis is the fact that she got almost no merchandise since Mattel took over. To add to that, Mavis rarely even has speaking roles anymore. Mattel must not think Mavis is marketable.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TerencetheTractor525

Finally, I found the time to share my thoughts on the new Thomas product announcement for February 2020!

Starting with the Deluxe Thomas & the Troublesome Trucks Set, although it is not something that I would pick up, it is nice to see another Thomas set to commemorate the 75th Anniversary. I especially like that the Troublesome Trucks come with loads that were painted brown to represent ore loads, as Bachmann could have easily just used the black coal loads again.

Next in line is the Green LBSC Thomas. While it would have certainly been more appropriate for the 70th Anniversary in 2015 (especially since Thomas' number was initially 70), it is a welcome addition nonetheless. I may consider picking this one up at some point.

Busy Bee James is, without a doubt, the most peculiar new product, and has surely been receiving mixed thoughts across social media. I am assuming that Bachmann initially suggested the Black James to Mattel, but Mattel suggested that simply selling James as a black recolor would not be appealing to younger fans. Even so, I must state that I am very happy that Bachmann still went with something from the model era. I would have certainly preferred the Busy Bee James over a Pink James or any other gimmicky James repaint from the appalling Big World Big Adventures episodes. Moreover, Bachmann could have spent tons of money on a new engine with an expensive new tooling that the majority of fans would not buy such as Nia, Rebecca, or Phillip. Yet, one thing that I have noticed is that most of Bachmann's odd products are from Season 10 such as Jeremy, the Toffee Tanker, and now the Busy Bee James. Overall, considering that it is something from the model era, I may still pick it up, but I am 100% sure yet. I'll certainly state that giving the model an angry or sad face that Cheeky ULP mentioned would encourage me to purchase the model by a long shot.

There is no doubt the most exciting new products are the narrow gauge brake vans. Personally, I hope that they will be based on the tooling from the television series. More specific points on these will be stated in a separate thread.

It is also fantastic to see that the N scale line is growing at such a fast rate. I thought that we were going to have to wait until July to see an N scale James announced, but Bachmann surprised us once more. The tankers are welcome as well, but I would have preferred to see the milk tanker announced before the water tanker. Even so, it will be interesting to see if the water tanker will be a dark shade of blue, like the HO model, or a lighter shade of blue, like the large scale model. Glad to see that a starter set was announced too, as that will surely encourage more people to collect the N scale line.

It is wonderful to see the Large Scale Diesel announced once more. Large scale Thomas fans have gotten the short end of the stick for years, but Diesel's announcement certainly makes up for that. The only thing that I find questionable is his price. It really is surprising that the Large scale Diesel's retail price is cheaper than Thomas and Percy's retail prices. I really hope that this does not mean that the model will not have separately fitted side rods like the Lionel model. It really would make the model look lacking on multiple levels. With the exception of that, it is once again wonderful to see that Diesel will be joining the large scale line!

No images of Daisy, Peter Sam, Troublesome Truck #6, or the 1-plank wagons with loads yet, but that is okay! I am sure that Bachmann is working hard on them, especially after how sought-after Daisy and Peter Sam were. Looking at the catalog, it seems the 1-plank wagons are now three different colors as well, which I have no problem with.

As for discontinued items, it is a little hard to determine what was discontinued since Tidmouth Sheds is nowhere to be seen in the catalog, but the expansion pack is present. However, I will state that I find it very surprising that the plastic switch tower is still in the line, especially with the resin signal box discontinued. The same can be said for the narrow gauge open wagon, and red and blue box vans.

Finally, since multiple people have been discussing recolors for future engines, to be blunt, the only ones that make sense to me are Sidney and the Black James. Recolors such as Blue Bill and Ben and Green Salty are just gimmicky ideas that are suited for brands like Trackmaster, but not Bachmann. Bachmann engines are expensive, so unless it is a separate sale character like Sidney, or permanent change to the engine's paint scheme like the Red Rosie, repaints only make sense if it is one of the main characters (Thomas, Percy, or James). Even so, I do not wish to see either Sidney or the Black James announced anytime soon because we just got two new recolors.

Overall, I am very happy with what was announced for the line this month. The only other thing that I would have really loved to see announced is an HO Stepney, but other than that, thank you very much, Bachmann!
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

thesplendidredengine5

Definitely going to get LBSC Thomas and Busy Bee James when they are released.

RailwayRoundhouse

Here's my thoughts.

The new set seems pretty cool in my opinion, I like the fact that the trucks now have loads and that a coal Hopper is included. I really am looking forward to the release of LBSC Thomas. It seems only fitting that this was made to commerate the 75th anniversary. The two brakevans for the narrow gauge range are products that I happily welcome. Really hoping they turn out more like the real life counterparts on the Talyllyn Railway once released. Nice to see James and Diesel joining the N Scale and G Scale ranges respectively, along with the new tankers. Finally, Busy Bee James. Honestly, I kinda like it. It is definitely gimmicky, but I still think it looks nice. I made a post on my twitter account a few days ago where I suggested Bachmann change the face expression to one of anger, shock or sadness as opposed to the usual smile on the model. I feel if they did change the expression, the model might more appealing to people as it would be acurrate to what James looked like in the original story.

Overall, I think the announcements this year have been great! What's everyone else's opinion on the new stuff?

TrainFan97

Bachmann usually keeps their announcements under a lock and chain until a certain date in the middle of February, but they didn't seem to mind the leak, since it was already that time of the year anyway.

Considering the fact that two engine recolors were just announced for HO Scale, not everyone really seems ready for another one after LBSC Thomas and Busy Bee James, but it's still a good idea to keep suggesting Black James to keep the demand up. We may have supposed to be getting Black James this year, but it must have been changed to Busy Bee James under pressure from Mattel. It's pretty weird if that's the case because Busy Bee James is from the HiT era, while Black James is from the current (Mattel) era.

Daisy hasn't gotten any merchandise since her return in CGI, which must mean Mattel doesn't think she is a marketable character, and is more of a self-propelled "passenger car" but after years of popular demand, Daisy finally got the approval of Mattel for Bachmann to make her.

Turns out, recolors like Green Salty or Blue Bill and Ben would be a bit too gimmicky for Bachmann, and are better-suited for the toy ranges. When I compared the possibilities of Sidney and Black James, one thing I was right about is that they're currently the only two engine recolors left that would actually make sense for Bachmann. What about Silver Spencer? Spencer was made in his old light blueish-gray livery, but Season 10 onwards, he was painted in metallic silver.

Ã…ngloketThomas

As other have pointed out, whould be nice to see Busy Bee James with a different expression, as that whould make him more unique and whould suit much better based on the episode Busy Bee James was featured in.

Looking forward to see Daisy and Peter Sam soon! Will defenetly be buying those! :)

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on February 13, 2020, 12:41:57 AM
I especially like that the Troublesome Trucks come with loads that were painted brown to represent ore loads, as Bachmann could have easily just used the black coal loads again.
The loads are black, thus why there's a coal hopper included. It is coal loads.

steakandcake

Actually, the set description never said "coal" loads. They said ore loads.

TrainFan97

I'm beginning to think Mattel only likes the color brown if it's on Toby, just like how they only like black if it's Diesel or Hiro.

I'm not referring to the ore loads, or whatever. I'm talking about engines and rolling stock.

TrainCollector

I'm very happy with these announcements. I will be getting the full n scale Thomas line as well as HO LBSC Thomas and Busy Bee James.

Crazy Thomas

I really liked the new Bachmann announcement. I think LBSC Thomas and Busy Bee James will be great additions to the HO scale line.
  The announcement of N scale James really caught me by surprise. I didn't expect Bachmann to reveal a brand new engine for this line now.
  It's great that Bachmann is making Diesel for the Large scale line. I think he really fits the line.

Angelob6660

It didn't surprised me that Bachmann announced N Scale James. Because Tomix has made Thomas, Percy, James, and Henry.
I believe Henry and Gordon might be made next. Since Tomix almost made Gordon and somehow got cancelled.
The freight cars are a different story. They might add the tank car, ventilation van, or mail car. Down the line with the express coaches. I don't know if Bachmann will take the advantage of making the first brake van in N Scale.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Quote from: Angelob6660 on February 15, 2020, 12:12:51 PM
The freight cars are a different story. They might add the tank car, ventilation van, or mail car. Down the line with the express coaches. I don't know if Bachmann will take the advantage of making the first brake van in N Scale.

The fuel, oil, and water tankers got announced this year with James in the N scale range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.