Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2020

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 16, 2019, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zekeism

I would like to see more non rail characters, be great to see Trevor and Butch on a layout or if they release Sir Handel then George would go perfect with him.
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

sean1994rail

Trevor will be a great announcment at next year's toy fair, being so high on demand.

TrainFan97

Once the N Scale models get released, people will be doing size comparisons between the Bachmann N Scale Thomas models, and the Tomix models.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TTL

Quote from: TrainFan97 on October 18, 2019, 02:28:01 PM
Once the N Scale models get released, people will be doing size comparisons between the Bachmann N Scale Thomas models, and the Tomix models.
Probably to see what N scale they've actually scaled them to. The Tomix stuff is quite overscaled compared to normal UK N scale. Given what's been shown, it looks like Bachmann have smartly scaled them to the UK's N scale, especially given the range is due to release about the same time in the UK as the US.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: STL on October 18, 2019, 09:14:14 PM
Probably to see what N scale they've actually scaled them to. The Tomix stuff is quite overscaled compared to normal UK N scale. Given what's been shown, it looks like Bachmann have smartly scaled them to the UK's N scale, especially given the range is due to release about the same time in the UK as the US.
I emailed Bachmann about the scaling when the prototype pictures were released. They said they made them to American N Scale (1:160), which seems to be correct due to Thomas's wheel size. Bachmann finally put the correct wheel size on, which seems to be around 49 inches in scaled up diameter, looking at various pictures of the series 1-3 Thomas alongside the wagons in the show. This was also really close to how my currently halted project revising Bachmann's OO Scale Thomas to Series 1 condition, with only slightly undersized replacement wheels (the Bachmann Thomas had the larger wheels from Thomas & the Magic Railroad). The wheels were changed back to original size after series 7, and retained to the CGI Series. The correct wheel diameter also happens to be very close to the USRA 0-6-0 wheel diameter (within 3/4th inches). Looking at the N Scale USRA 0-6-0, it seems to have the same wheel diameter (using the sleepers as reference) to the wheels put on the N Scale Thomas prototype. Sorry about the super long response.
-TrainMan2001
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

mulfred-100

If we are going to get any new items next year with the earlier 2020 announcements (I can't imagine it will be much)

HO (if there's any)
75th Thomas (Possibly in his original livery)
Flat bed with pipes
Trevor or Bulgy.

Narrow gauge
Again I can't see much possible announcement of Duncan or sir handel which would be released in 2021
Break van

N Scale
James
Milk tanker
Tar tanker
Cargo wagon
Starter Set (Thomas, Annie and Clarabel with an oval track)

Large Scale
75th Thomas (probably similar to celebration Thomas)

Sadly I can't see anything else for large-scale coming I'd love to put Edward or Mavis or Diesel down but really can't see them happening with the way the range is at the moment which is a shame as I do like the large scale range. Also I'm not holding my breath for any of these to happen we got the bonus/early announcements earlier this year and I'm more then happy with Peter Sam and Daisy coming the the range.

Trainboy 48

Ok while I'm placing bets on Ryan, another engine that would be awesome and I really hope to see is Harvey the crane. How hard could it be to for Bachmann to make him besides the chain of his crane, any suggestions for me about him?
Wishlist for Bachmann to make HO Scale Engines: Sidney, Samson and Porter.
Wishlist for Bachmann to make Narrow Gauge Engines: Victor and Mille.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Trainboy 48 on December 03, 2019, 09:38:51 PM
Ok while I'm placing bets on Ryan, another engine that would be awesome and I really hope to see is Harvey the crane. How hard could it be to for Bachmann to make him besides the chain of his crane, any suggestions for me about him?
I feel like he won't happen because A: His design is comparatively more intricate than most other characters' designs, and so he'd likely be more expensive to design and produce, and B: Bachmann likely wouldn't do the chain, and if they did, it'd be a static chain that couldn't extend or retract, and the only feature his crane arm would have is to rotate. His feature would basically be non-functional, and Bachmann likely wouldn't want to produce a character that doesn't "work", so to speak. It doesn't seem viable from a business standpoint.

Trainboy 48

Well Cranky has a plastic chain so I don't see why can't they do the same to Harvey.

TerencetheTractor525

I concur with Rodimus Supreme on this one. While I would be ecstatic if Bachmann announced an HO Harvey (much more than Ryan), I don't think that he would be feasible considering his detailed design. Plus, while comparing Harvey and Cranky, the main difference I see between the two is size. Because Cranky is much bigger than Harvey, it is much easier for Bachmann to include the functional crane arm. Harvey, on the other hand, is much smaller. Thus, the working chain, even if it was made by string, would be much more challenging to incorporate in Harvey. Furthermore, his crane arm is very tall, and cannot lower. As a result, running Harvey under bridges and through tunnels would be an issue. Frankly, I think that a breakdown train has a better shot at getting announced than him.

Even so, I am still hoping that Stepney has a shot at getting announced in February to celebrate the 75th Anniversary. The amount of people who have explicitly stated that they would like to see him made for various reasons is something to certainly take into account. Perhaps, we will get lucky! :). Finally, I could still see Ryan getting made at some point. However, based on what the majority of fans have stated, it does not make sense for him to be announced before Stepney.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Trainboy 48 on December 06, 2019, 06:28:16 AM
Well Cranky has a plastic chain so I don't see why can't they do the same to Harvey.
That's not what I said. It doesn't matter what it's made out of, an HO Scale model of Harvey would be too small for a business like Bachmann to make have a functional, raising and lowering hook and chain, either for costs purposes or because of functionality. It would just be attached to the arm and never raise or lower. Also, like Chaz said, his arm doesn't move up or down on the show or on his basis, thus he'd be too tall for most people's layouts. To be honest, even though he has a real world basis that looks like that, I still wouldn't be surprised if the NMRA has a standard that blocks any model of that type of locomotive from being made.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on December 06, 2019, 11:49:11 AM
That's not what I said. It doesn't matter what it's made out of, an HO Scale model of Harvey would be too small for a business like Bachmann to make have a functional, raising and lowering hook and chain, either for costs purposes or because of functionality. It would just be attached to the arm and never raise or lower. Also, like Chaz said, his arm doesn't move up or down on the show or on his basis, thus he's be too tall for most people's layouts. To be honest, even though he has a real world basis that looks like that, I still wouldn't be surprised if the NMRA has a standard that blocks any model of that type of locomotive from being made.

Great point, once again, but I am not Chaz.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Trainboy 48

Well that's just what I also expect to see next year, which you can see from my signature.

Trainboy 48

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on December 06, 2019, 11:49:11 AM
That's not what I said. It doesn't matter what it's made out of, an HO Scale model of Harvey would be too small for a business like Bachmann to make have a functional, raising and lowering hook and chain, either for costs purposes or because of functionality. It would just be attached to the arm and never raise or lower. Also, like Chaz said, his arm doesn't move up or down on the show or on his basis, thus he's be too tall for most people's layouts. To be honest, even though he has a real world basis that looks like that, I still wouldn't be surprised if the NMRA has a standard that blocks any model of that type of locomotive from being made.
Ok but does it matter if they made his arm fictional or not the company is now working also working in the UK so they should have enough budgets to produce new products and another thing how is he that small to make, are you comparing to like his other merchandises or what?