News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traction tires Alco PA-1

Started by Ruslsdad, February 13, 2020, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruslsdad

I don;t understand why Bachmann would not have replacement parts for it's products. I recently bought a gently used but fairly old Alco PA-1 and need new traction tires for it. Can anyone help me out?

Len

Except for a few "SD's", almost everyone's diesels use the same size traction tires. These should work:
https://www.trainz.com/products/lionel-222-108-diesel-rubber-tire-6000222108

222-108 is the old number, 6000222108 is the new number.

Also available from 'The Train Tender': http://www.ttender.com
Note: Only accepts checks or money orders.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ruslsdad

Len,
Thanks for the info. I ordered from Trainz. Let's see how it goes.
I wonder why Lionel and MTH dealers don't know this?

Len

Unless they have an in store repair shop, most dealers will refer someone looking for parts to the manufacturer. I used to operate a repair shop and still have most of my parts references.

Len

Ruslsdad

Len,
I appreciate your help since I know little to nothing about this hobby. I do live in an over 55 community that has a train club. We do have some very knowledgeable people in the group though. So I can get referrals and help.
Thanks again,
Fred

trainyardjp

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

If folks are having difficulty with finding parts dealers or parts sources for traction tires, here is an 'interesting' product, Bullfrog Snot - http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/ (no, it is not actual 'snot' extracted from bullfrogs). This is basically a 'liquid traction tire' compound that will work for any scale of model train (Z to G). Use a cotton swab to coat the locomotive's wheels with this compound. When the compound 'sets' then dries, it leaves behind a rubbery surface that will help the locomotive's pulling abilities.

Hope this helps.
-JP
-JP

Ruslsdad

Len and JP,
I received the traction tires you told me about and manages to get them on. I have never done this before and am not a real handy guy.
Well long story short, I got the rear 4 on easily, because they made the truck assembly simple wit a bracket held on by one screw. But of course the front was not the same way. I wrestled with 3 of the 4 and got them on. The last one had to be the most difficult. I think what is either the brake assembly or the sand nozzle was positioned too close. I tried gently prying it away, because knowing me, I stopped for fear of breaking it off. After more sweat, I finally got it on. All is well. Thanks for your help.
Fred

Len

I should have mentioned the General Tools 862 3-piece probe set is real handy for getting traction tires on in tight places. In particular the one with the double bend on the right of this pic:

You can find them at most home improvement stores and a lot of hardware stores for around $10. If you can't find them locally, Amazon has them.

Len

Ruslsdad

Len,
Thanks. I used a flat blade screw driver. I slowly worked it around. I don't know if that will be any easier. I also don't know that I will ever do that again.
Fred

Ruslsdad

Len,
I had a friend come over to look at the Alco engine and traction tires. He said that between the traction tires and the wheels, there were different sizes. Some of the tires were wider than the truck wheels. He made sure all was right with the unit and ran it. He said that the tires would need to "wear in." So I will use it and hope for the best.
Regards, Fred

momotrain

Quote from: trainyardjp on February 23, 2020, 10:53:55 PM
JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

If folks are having difficulty with finding parts dealers or parts sources for traction tires, here is an 'interesting' product, Bullfrog Snot - http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/ (no, it is not actual 'snot' extracted from bullfrogs). This is basically a 'liquid traction tire' compound that will work for any scale of model train (Z to G). Use a cotton swab to coat the locomotive's wheels with this compound. When the compound 'sets' then dries, it leaves behind a rubbery surface that will help the locomotive's pulling abilities.

Hope this helps.
-JP

Thank you very much! That was very helpful my dear friend!

Ruslsdad

Len,
Fast forward to today. I ordered the traction tires that you suggested. I had a train club friend put them on. In sparingly using the engine during this roughly six month time frame, one tire broke. My friend came to replace it. The question is, is this going to be an ongoing problem? Just in case, I am going to lay in a supply of tires.
Thanks for your help.
Fred

Country Joe

Fred, the traction tires wear out after a few years and lots of running. I've had to replace them on two locomotives. Having a spare set on hand is a good idea though you shouldn't need them for a few years depending on how much you run the loco.

Hi Ruslsdad,

671 here.

Rubber universal replacement diesel tires are available on this website's parts section. Look under William's universal parts O gauge...Page  (3)  4 tires 2 bulbs $8.80.

Install the tires to the wheels using rubber cement. This will give you much longer life from the tires. Rubber cement is available at stationary stores and hardware stores.
u
                             Hope this helps,

Ruslsdad

I'll keep that in mind. I just ordered another 4 spare tires recommended by Len above. If they don't last, I can follow through on your suggestion.
Thank you both.