News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC-Ready 4-6-0

Started by dcclocoman, April 04, 2020, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

XL are the old MRC decoders. Numbering system even matches MRC's.

I have used the 1911s and an older 16xx series for years, with zero problems. No reason these should be any different.

Sid

Len

XL makes the MRC decoders, as well as selling direct. You can hear a sound sample for the EMD645 used in the GP38-2, and other locos, here: https://www.modelrectifier.com/Articles.asp?ID=264

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Thanks for the clarification, Len.

Sid

graywolf

Thanks Len the sound of the 645 sounds more robust than the sound coming from the Sound Value decoder. XL mentioned that you have to add 650 - 1000 ohm resistors for the lights in the engine. Any thoughts where to get them since Radio Shack is no longer? Also does it matter which leg of the diode to put it on?

Len

I usually get resistors and such from Mouser or Digi-Key. An on-line search will bring up lots of places to get them. And it really doesn't matter which leg the resistor is on.

Len

bapguy

These look like Chinese knock offs of the MRC decoders. You get what you pay for.   Joe

rich1998

If some are happy with them, I would not argue with them.
Some do not like SoundTraxx and are very vocal about it.
c
rICH

Len

Quote from: bapguy on April 08, 2020, 10:13:04 PM
These look like Chinese knock offs of the MRC decoders. You get what you pay for.   Joe

XL has made the MRC decoders for years, they have recently decided to also start selling direct to consumers.

Len

dcclocoman

The seven XL 1611's I have in service sound great and work perfectly.  The sound is far better than the one SoundTraxx in my fleet.  I have eight more 1611's arriving in today's mail to support my DCC conversion project.

The only complaint I have is that the 1611's I received have a pigtailed resistor and condenser (?) hanging from the decoder board.  That feature makes installation more difficult.

The single XL 1911 that I have in my inventory doesn't have any dangling components.  I also ordered some XL 1910's, which have the 8-pin plug integral to the circuit board.  The 1910's also did not have any dangling components.

graywolf

Hi Len, I found some 680 ohm resistors that are 1/4 w, 1/2w & 1w. What should I use? Also I am  fan of Soundtrax but I don't think it wise to install a decoder that cost more than the engine. All I am looking for is some more features and sound options than what you get with Sound Value. Has anyone have actual experience using the XL decoders in a Bachmann diesel?

Len

I pretty much use 1/4 watt resistors, mainly because I have a ton of them laying around from when I used to do a lot of 'breadboarding' of different circuits. A lot of folks use 1/8 watt with no problems. The 1/2 watt, or larger, resistors are really overkill.

Len

dcclocoman

I've used the XL's in Kato, Proto 1000 and 2000, and Athearn non-DCC-ready diesels.  I haven't done any Bachmann loco's, but I don't see why the approach would be any different.  You have to wire to both rail pickups, both motor brush terminals and lights.  There a lot's of YouTube videos available to provide guidance.

WoundedBear

Wasn't Mantua using these decoders in their sound equipped locos before they vanished?

I have 1911s in service and they work very well for my steamers. No reason their diesel decoders should be of lesser quality.

Sid

graywolf

Thanks ALL for all your help. I guess I will take the plunge and let you know the result.

Len

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 09, 2020, 10:51:39 AM
Wasn't Mantua using these decoders in their sound equipped locos before they vanished?

Mantua didn't exactly disappear. At one point it was acquired by Model Power and distributed by MRC. In 2018 Model Power and Mantua tooling was purchased by Lionel, allowing them to get back into the HO market under the 'Lionel' name. There hasn't been a lot of new items available since then.

Len