isolating power on a EZ track crossover

Started by Austin, December 04, 2020, 09:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin

How can I separate one side of a crossover electrically from the other side. I have two loops connected by an EZ track crossover. When I power one, they are both powered. I want them electrically isolated from esch other. Should I cut the rails in the crossover section?

rich1998

Welcome

Our club did something like that about eight years ago because we ran DCC. We cut the rails and put in a DCC reverser. The fellow up above cut and put in spacers. I was underneath connecting wires. We used a standard turnout.

Rich

Len

Quote from: Austin on December 04, 2020, 09:26:40 AM
How can I separate one side of a crossover electrically from the other side. I have two loops connected by an EZ track crossover. When I power one, they are both powered. I want them electrically isolated from esch other. Should I cut the rails in the crossover section?

It's not as simple as gapping the rails on top, modifications to the circuit underneath also have to be made. And messing them up will turn the crossover into a piece of junk. There used to be a webside showing how to do the modifications, but it's long gone.

Unfortunately, Bachmann made the crossovers strictly for use on DCC layouts, without considering how many people might want to use them on DC layouts. So no "jumpers" to switch between modes were included in the design. And no instructions for modifying them were included either.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

Thank you Len.  Something I know now. I thought I was being helpful.

Rich