News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound value cv adjustments

Started by graywolf, May 31, 2021, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

I did a search and could not find an answer. I have a GP38-2 sound value and would like to have the sound stay off on powering up the layout. I know this can be done with Tsunami 2 but was hoping to do this with the SV decoder. Also I see that Soundtrax has replacement decoders for this engine, but the cost is as much as I paid for the GP 38-2. Has anyone tried fitting an Econami decoder in this engine or another Bachmann diesel with good results. This would save some $.

plint

Isn't there a mute function?  It might be 8.  I'm not able to check right now.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

graywolf

Thanks Terry I now remember seeing that article. Guess I will have to live with the noise ---can't see spending more for the decoder than I spent for the entire engine. Will have to remember to hit 8 on startup so I can hear the other engines.

ricktrains4824

CV 116 = 7 sets prime mover to start on speed step 1 according to DecoderPro.
(I do not have a SoundValue GP38-2 to test.)
Default is 39, so it might just work... If the SV decoder supports it.

graywolf

Rick thanks for your help. I did what you said on the 38-2 and it worked. Sound stays off until you activate speed step 1. I also have a SV 4-6-2 and it didn't work on it. The default for CV116 is 92. I tried bringing it also to 7 but the engine will not even move. Tried 39 like the 38-2 but that effected the chuff sync speed. Do you have any suggestions for the 4-6-2?  Thanks, Paul

ricktrains4824

On the 4-6-2, there is not an option for "sound starts at", but CV 113 is "quite Mode Timeout" value, where the sound will automatically shut off after so long of no commands to the address.
Default is 0, which is "off", you could adjust it up higher and see what value times it out at a good time for your style of operation, or continue using mute when you power up the layout.

graywolf

Rick it didn't work on the steamer. I tried all different #'s and nothing. I called Soundtrax and spoke to George B and he varified that the cv113 doesn't function on a steamer with SV.

ricktrains4824

The SV decoders sometimes do not support all CV's.
Sorry.

graywolf

Thanks for your input --at least the 38-2 is now quiet.