News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 70 Ton Climax Gearbox Issues

Started by ricktrains4824, July 05, 2021, 06:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricktrains4824

I am going to start off by saying I am very well aware that the gears inside the Bachmann Climax have issues. (They should not, but they do...)

However - I was under the impression it was the gears in the trucks, not the gearbox itself.
The cylinders spin, but zero driveshaft movement at all. I have pulled off the ash-pan, but all the gears I could see without further disassembly appear ok, with no slipping detected.

Is this also a "known issue" with these models?
Is mine a fluke?

Is this something Bachmann could fix, though OOW, for the standard fee?
Is my getting it from a vendor at a train show, as NOS, going to affect the repair, as there is no receipt? (This vendor, you pay cash, you do not get a receipt to speak of... But you get a better price with cash...)

I am confident I could have replaced the truck gears if they cracked on me, but higher up in the gearbox?? Not so confident....
Could there be something I am missing? I only attacked it from below, as that was the easiest to get to based on the schematics... How would I get at the top of the gearbox?

If it was the top of the gearbox, would the cylinders still spin?

I am sure it is not a lubrication issue, as the factory lubrication on this one is very heavy, to the point of being everywhere and needing much of it removed.

Appreciate any and all help provided.

VTBob

I have both the 50 & the 70T Climax locomotives. Both of mine broke pretty much straight out of the box. I was told the warranty didn't apply to me because I bought them from a train show vendor, & not an "official" licensed hobby shop with Bachmann.

There's a website full of great step by step photos on how to figure out exactly what gear is broken,

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2017/12/bachmann-ho-scale-climax-disassembly.html

I haven't been able to repair mine yet, no one around me can fix something this small & my eyesight isn't the greatest for small stuff.

Hope this helps.
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

ricktrains4824

I kind of figured the warranty might have a wrinkle like that, but I could not beat his NOS "show (cash) only" price for it.

(Let's just say I expected to buy some NWSL replacement gears anyways, and would still come out ahead. Helps to know vendors and shop those ones every time you see them somewhere... They will throw a bone your way if they have something they are tired of lugging around everywhere if they have seen you often enough. Have got many really sweet deals that way. And at one really poorly run show, pointed in the direction of the head honcho, but that's another story....)

Thanks for the repair link.

VTBob

That's how I ended up with mine. At the time I bought both of mine, I was in the market for a "1 of every Spectrum" locomotive. Couldn't beat the price at the shows for a pair of 2 & 3 truck units. The same thing with both of my 3 truck Shays. Beautiful units, absolutely love them, save for the cracked gears. I ordered some NWSL gears for them, but haven't installed them yet. Might just give the driveshafts to a friend who has a machine shop & ask for him to install those tiny things.

Good luck with your repairs.
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Len

Quote from: VTBob on July 08, 2021, 10:52:26 PM
I have both the 50 & the 70T Climax locomotives. Both of mine broke pretty much straight out of the box. I was told the warranty didn't apply to me because I bought them from a train show vendor, & not an "official" licensed hobby shop with Bachmann.

The warranty can be seen here:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

The key part is this, "Note: even if in original packaging, units purchased at flea markets, railroad swap meets, garage sales, online auctions of previously owned products, and similar venues are NOT covered by this or any other warranty."

Train shows can be tricky, because licensed hobby shops often sell merchandise from their store at train shows. In such a case, if you receive a receipt with the store name and address on it, the warranty would be valid since you would be an "original purchaser". On the other hand, if it's someone cleaning out their basement or attic, or possibley an estate sale, selling items at the show that's not a licensed retailer, the warranty is void.

Even so, as noted in the link above, you could still pay for having the unit repaired.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.