Hi Mr.Bachmann! High Coupler for the New 4-6-0

Started by RailMan63, January 29, 2023, 05:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

Hi,Mr.Bachmann!
I recently bought a very slightly used new model 4-6-0.
On page #9,figure #14,the manual describes 2 different knuckle couplers.
One high.
One low.
The seller only included the low coupler installed on the tender.
The high coupler is nowhere to be found.
I need the high coupler,but there are no parts listed for the new model yet.
What do you suggest?
Thank you!

the Bach-man

Dear Railman,
You may have luck with a Kadee until you find one,
Good luck!
the Bah-man

RailMan63

Nope.
Kadee lists their G Scale coupler for the Big Hauler 4-6-0 as the #791.
It is a truck mounted coupler with gear box.
How is that going to be mounted on the new tender for the 4-6-0?
The tender rear coupler set up on the new version 7 tender is radically different from the one on the original Big Hauler tender.
https://www.kadee.com/shop-by-category/couplers/g-scale-couplers/791-g-scale-large-offset-centerset-coupler-with-pilot-pocket-gear-box-truck-mount-gearbox
I've messaged the seller, and he promised to look for it.
I guess that I'm out of luck if he can't find it...

flyingL

Not sure if it will work or not, but might be worth a try if you don't receive the high knuckle coupler from the seller. I replaced the dummy knuckle coupler on the front with a USA Trains knuckle coupler and it was at the right height to couple up to my 1:20.3 rolling stock, plus it coupled reliably to the Bachmann couplers and the Accucraft couplers. I just had to clip off the tab at the end and enlarge the hole on the coupler shank to get it to fit. They are fairly inexpensive at roughly $9 for a package of 2.

RailMan63

Hi.
Thanks for the idea,but I don't think that it would work with the new 4-6-0 tender.
The coupler that comes with it is unique.
It mounts to the frame under the truck,not directly to it.
So, therefore, some modification would be required to mount any other coupler to the tender.
Personally, I don't understand the need for Bachmann to have changed it so radically.
It just makes for a giant pain if you don't get both couplers in the box with this thing.
Especially if all your cars are equipped with Kadee #831 couplers,which are just a little too high to mate properly with the low coupler.
I'm still waiting for the seller to reply whether he found the high coupler or not.
I may be able to modify one of the cars with a low coupler from Kadee(if they make them),but I would prefer not to spend any more money on something that she should have came with.
Of course, I bought mine with the Soundtraxx TSU-4400 already installed in the tender for only $458.00.
And she runs perfectly, and sounds great.
So I don't really have any room to complain!
LOL!
Thanks again!

RailMan63

Thanks for the idea!
Last night I bought a set of Kadee 1901 Type E Centerset Couplers on Ebay.
They only cost less than $12.00, they're center set ,and they have a slight downward tilt to them.
They're also a direct drop in to the Kadee #831 gearbox.
I'll see how well they work,and make a decision on what to do if they don't work as I hope.
Thanks again!

Fred2179

QuoteThe coupler that comes with it is unique.
That would be surprising, and hasn't been mentioned in the reviews.

Bachmann started a process of offering high and low couplers with the 1:20.3 Spectrum rolling stock. They put a 'standard' box on the frame and supplied two shanks - one straight so the coupler was high, essentially at the Kadee coupler height gauge, and one with a zigzag so the coupler came out low at the same height as the older couplers mounted on the trucks (and tenders of 4-6-0s before this rework.)
Take a look at this photo of the shanks:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LXwAAOSwQFdjKK0-/s-l1600.jpg

RailMan63

Let me be the first to introduce you to the new Bachmann Big Hauler tender coupler(?).
I hope this will clear up any confusion about this item.
The shaft is metal while the coupler itself is plastic.
The coupler is removable from the shaft by removing the screw and popping the coupler off the end of the shaft.
I have never seen a coupler like this one in over 20+ years of running G Scale trains.
I believe that this coupler is unique to this locomotive and tender.
Not even Kadee makes a direct replacement for it.
At least not yet.

RailMan63

Tender coupler pocket.
You have to remove the rear truck, and then a cover that is held in place by  small screws.

RailMan63

Hi. That's very kind of you.
I'll probably take you up on that offer if I don't hear from the seller by Sunday evening.
Are you sure you don't need it?
They're very hard to come by.
And I don't want to leave you short should you need it.
I'll PM you by 6PM on Sunday if I haven't heard from the seller by then.
Can I send you any money for it? Or at least pay for the postage?
Let me know .
I highly appreciate this!

StanAmes

Sorry I have been busy lately.  Surprised no one else answered your question. While new to the big hauler line this coupler type has been used in every LS Spectrum locomotive for almost 15 years.

Each  of the latest 4-6-0 locomotives sold new has the coupler installed and the high one in a parts bag.   The Spectrum line has the high one installed and the low one in a parts bag. The shafts on the 4-6-0 are the same only the head is different and the head simply screws on.  The couplers on any previous version of the 4-6-0 are truck mounted rather then body mounted so they will not work on the new 4-6-0 version

The Kadee replacement is the #916.  However to me the #916 tends to be a little low.

A head from any of the sprectrum rolling stock will also work.  Bachmann used to sell these but I could not find them  on the site so they must be out.

I have not converted mine yet but on many of the bachmann locomotives I replace the bachmann ones with a #906.  A little more work but I tend to like the slack provided by the 906 line.

Hope that helps

Stan

StanAmes

Sorry I have been busy lately.  Surprised no one else answered your question. While new to the big hauler line this coupler type has been used in every LS Spectrum locomotive for almost 15 years.

Each  of the latest 4-6-0 locomotives sold new has the coupler installed and the high one in a parts bag.   The Spectrum line has the high one installed and the low one in a parts bag. The shafts on the 4-6-0 are the same only the head is different and the head simply screws on.  The couplers on any previous version of the 4-6-0 are truck mounted rather then body mounted so they will not work on the new 4-6-0 version

The Kadee replacement is the #916.  However to me the #916 tends to be a little low.

A head from any of the sprectrum rolling stock will also work.  Bachmann used to sell these but I could not find them  on the site so they must be out.

I have not converted mine yet but on many of the bachmann locomotives I replace the bachmann ones with a #906.  A little more work but I tend to like the slack provided by the 906 line.

Hope that helps

Stan