News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where to get motor pinions?

Started by bibbster, March 24, 2023, 05:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibbster

I am restoring a 2-8-0 and am in need of a pinion gear. I've dug through all of my pinions from my slot car hobby, but they are all the wrong size.

I see Bachmann offers the entire motor assembly but I don't need all of that.

Any ideas where to find one?

Shaft is 2mm
10 tooth
5.85 OD
2mm tooth height
2.5mm total height

trainman203

Join the modern Model Railroad world. Parts are not available like in the grand days of yore when you could get anything at all for any engine that Varney, Mantua, Roundhouse, Penn Line, or Bowser made.

In the modern Model Railroad world, you have to buy a donor engine to get the parts you need.  It's not as bad a deal as it seems, the market has responded and non-operating donor engines for parts are on eBay all the time, usually for a pretty good price.  You can get what you want off of the corpse, and then resell what's left online.  Kitbashers like me always looking for tenders, cabs, and various other parts. I've gotten crew figures out of boilers I ordered from Bachmann, along with injector plumbing, bells, whistles, stacks, and a cab to put on a Reno 4-4–0 that I'm going to update to create Missouri Pacific No. 953 in 1948.

You have to give Bachmann credit for having as many parts available at all as they do for as many engines as they have  had available in the past.   I have yet to count the HO engines they made over the years but it must be 30 at least, and at least some parts are available for all of them. No one else that I know of does that at all.

Another thing you could do is buy a new engine that runs, and keep the currently non-operating one as your donor engine for the future.

Len

Currently out of stock, but this guys advertise a 10th pinion for a 2mm shaft:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/replacement-pinion-gear-2mm-10t.html

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.