Looking for a coupler that offsets down instead of up

Started by yellow_cad, April 14, 2023, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellow_cad

Trying to find a coupler that will allow me to pull cars with lower couplers.  The coupler that I am looking for would replace the tender coupler which is attached with a pin that goes through the hole in the coupler shank.  I understand that Bachmann has or had such a coupler, but I cannot locate it to purchase.  Thanks for any help on this.  Jim

StanAmes

Bachmann produced several options for this.  Which tender will you be putting the couple on?

Stan

yellow_cad

I want to couple a tender with body couplers to a car with truck couplers so I need it to offset to a lower height.  Jim

yellow_cad

Thanks for the link, but I can't tell whether those offset up or down.  I have contacted the seller.  Jim

wraujr

The small, square pin faces up, so I would say these offset down.

yellow_cad

After contemplating, I really need something with a shorter shank (similar to the Kadee offset shank), but this may have been all that was ever offered by Bachmann.

mickeykelley

Is the above linked item what Bachmann originally shipped in the accessory bag of the C19, K27, 2-6-6-2, 3 truck Shay, etc., for those 1.20 engines to pull their Big Hauler cars?

StanAmes

Quote from: yellow_cad on April 15, 2023, 12:39:05 PMI want to couple a tender with body couplers to a car with truck couplers so I need it to offset to a lower height.  Jim

We would like to assist you but to do so we need the exact tender you are wishing to install the ofset down coupler on.

The reason is that there are several options depending of the exact coupler pocket the tender has.

Bachmann produced a drop down coupler for freight cars or tenders that use the standard coupler box, the same larger box that kadee uses.

Bachmann also produced a varietf of other drop down couplers for its 2 gen 2-6-0, latest 4-6-0, C-19 K27, forney, climax and 2-6-6-2.

If you let us know the exact tender you wish to install the drop down coupler or better yet a photo of the existing coupler pocket as well as an identification of the tender, then we can identify what your best option is.

Without this information it is impossible to provide you accurate information.

Hope that helps

Stan

yellow_cad

Stan, the tenders I wish to adapt so as to pull Bachmann cars with truck couplers are Accucraft live steam tenders with body mount couplers.  I just need something a little more close coupled that the ones in the link above.  I can modify and make a lot of things work so if you would just give me the part number for any coupler offset down, I will see which  coupler best suit my needs.  Thanks, Jim

StanAmes

You may be out of luck depending on which Acccucraft tender you have,

The problem is the coupler pocket.  The Bachmann locomotive couplers use a pocket that normally is not a seperate part.  I believe that the only Bachmann option is to use a drop down freight car coupler which uses the same box as the Kadee  #830 or #906.  This coupler box is longer then the Accucraft coupler box and will not fit on many of the Accucraft tenders.  If this voupler box does not fit the ony other option is to either have someone 3D print one for you or use a transition car with a coupler at the body height at one end and a truck height at the other end.

Hope this helps

Stan

yellow_cad

Thanks wraujr for the ebay link.  I bought a package of these and with a little work got them to do the job.  Thanks again.