News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Do you run steam and diesel?

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, July 20, 2023, 08:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

With the production of Bachmann large scale Diesels I am wondering if any of you run diesel and steam  or just diesel or still steam only?

In my own case I do run both diesel and steam.  I keep them separated, since my steam is all narrow gauge.  The diesels I run are all 1st generation units GP-9, RS-3, FA, PA, and F3 units. 

So far I have not been into the all the late model GE and EMD units on the market.  My son also run a mix the same way I do except he is in the mid range of diesel like Sd40-2. 

The market seems to be changing and has become more diesel oriented.  What do you think Bachmann should produce more narrow gauge, modern steam, more early diesel, more mid range diesel, or more late model modern diesel?

Jump in and let the group know what you run and what you would like to see in the way of motive power.

Be Safe,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred2179

Just steam. Not interested in those modern dismals.

Greg Elmassian

Both, but mostly stay in the transition era, to run both, so only older diesels, and later steamers.

mikado, pacific, consolidation, mallet, 0-6-0 switchers, etc.

diesels, everything up to about the early Geeps, although I do indeed have a NS Dash 9 to go with a NS high hood SD45. (the Dash was a present from Scott Polk).

A fun time to model, with a lot of unique looking locos... I do class 1 railroads, so no logging and all is 1:29.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

u3o8geo

I run narrow gauge steam only. As a "late-comer" to large scale I do not have as large a collection of narrow gauge equipment [locos] as I would like, and I have been a bit reluctant to venture into the used equipment market at Ebay.

Ted Wilton
Spanis Springs, Nevada

James

I run mostly narrow gauge steam.  I do have some standard gauge steam, two diesels freight hauling locos (MoPac) and a few gasoline/diesel powered two axle locos.  More that likely I have more engines that I should but it is hard not to get a new narrow gauge steam engine when it comes out.

James

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Ted,
Thanks for your post, I tend to agree with you with respect to Ebay, seems especially true with steam.  Swap meets and members of local clubs are the best source, but all too often have very little for sale in our scale. I have seen some nice layouts in the Las Vegas area!

Cheers, Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi James,

I could not agree with you more about having more engines than you should, I certainly do especially in my wife's opinion.  I still like every one that I have and have a wife that supports me fully in spite of her opinion.  I am 83 years old now and still have engines I bought when I was 7 years old.  They are in HO scale tho. Bachmann hooked me when they first came out with the 4-6-0 Big Hauler, and USA Trains hooked me with their GP-7.

Cheers, Bill

Joe Zullo

Bill,
I run whatever I like, be it steam, live steam or diesels. I too have MANY more locos than I need, upward of 20. I own half a dozen 4-6-0s, a couple of Porters, two Indy moguls, two Davenports, a 44 tonner, two Barry Olsen conversions (a 4-6-0 and a 2-8-0) a few Aristo diesels and a couple of USA engines, both diesel and steam. ;D
My railroad, my rules! 

Loco Bill Canelos

Good to hear from you Joe!  We model railroaders indeed can make our own rules. Sometimes I think the real railroads are jealous of us. 

You need more locos, I know I do ;D 8)

All the best!

Bill

Stokerman

Steam only here, though that does include a little live steam as well, all narrow gauge 1/20.3 - 1/22.5 scale.

I am amazed and eternally grateful for all that Bachmann has produced over the years, while of course saddened that so little of these great items are produced nowadays, but at least I was able to get what I got back when!!!

Should probably add that I doubt the diesel bug will ever bite me in large scale, but I do understand the attraction for many if not most of those in the hobby.
Are we having fun yet???

mickeykelley

Steam. Not attracted to the dark side. They are evil.

Just kidding.....I'm sure some are really nice.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mickey,

My dark side dismal that I would love to see is the Alco RSD15  I love the brutish look of this monster for its day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALCO_RSD-15

Keep on playing with Trains!

Cheers & Beers,

Bill

Mark Oles

For me, I have a wide range of engines and interests.  For practicality, I run engines that run the best for me. It might sound OCD but I do what works. Always a heavy steam engine (mallet or aristo mikado) to clear the lines for a day of running. This includes pushing a track cleaning caboose for one or two laps until gunk is cleaned off the railheads. Then, we switch out to whatever we decide to do that day. Some days it is steam engines; others FAs and RS-3s or even the E8.  Occassionally, we pull out the heavy USAT GG1 but that engine's gearing make it problematic (too slow for this fast freight and passenger line). We did acquire a new Dash 9 to help support Bachmann's efforts in the 1:29 line and I am actually thrilled to see that new single dome tank cars are being planned.

On the smaller side, the Bachmann Eggliners are a big hit here. I am also eyeing the blue/cream streetcar as the Hershey's one I have works great on the temporary holiday layout I put in my front yard last year.  I am thinking about adding dedicated streetcar lines to the main railroad too, but for now, I am focused on getting my major expansion projects completed in the next three weeks! Wish me luck!

https://www.facebook.com/millersvillanova/

Greg Elmassian

Mark, the GG1 came with a programmed in speed restriction. Change the max speed CV in it, it will go much faster. Been there, done that.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Mark,

Thanks for the pictures, the layout looks great!  If you speed up the GG1 or put the Dash 9 to  work, post some pictures for us please!!!   Those eggliners are a hit everywhere I go. Years ago a good friend got sick prior to our club open house and could not get his layout in shape in time. He ended up running six eggliners all at once.  He had bought an eggliner for each of his grandkids and thought why not run something. It was a huge hit and the eggliners ran perfectly on his unprepared track, it was fun watching them chase each other around his beautiful layout.

All the Best, Bill