News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 Truck Shays

Started by mickeykelley, October 17, 2023, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

Does anyone have any idea how many of the 2 Truck Shays were sold?  I see them all over eBay now days.  Just curious.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Mickey, 

I will pull up my database and see what I can extrapolate from it.  Maybe the Bachman can help us out with the question?

Whatever I provide will be an estimate. 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

The oldest ones have their trucks disintegrating, so you will see lots. A very popular loco which can be repaired with a new set of trucks in most cases.

Notice there are about 3 versions (off the top of my head) of this loco, and the value directly depends on the version.

Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

mickeykelley

Yes I'm aware of the truck issues.  Personally I have my original that I already swapped out for the metal trucks and hav one of the 2 truck ones.  Then I bought a 'for parts' one pre-Covid years ago and bought the replace trucks for it but have not gotten around to it.  It was just an observation. 

Greg Elmassian

I'll be interested likewise if Loco Bill can find some statistics. Very popular loco, one of my wife's favorites.
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Stokerman

I have a couple of the first version, though one is still boxed as a backup. The one that I run regularly must have something like a hundred actual miles on it by now. I do have a set of the new version replacement trucks for it, and the motor block body does have some cracks and a broken-out corner where a screw split it, but so far they are still working for me, so I'll not replace them until I actually have to do so to keep running!

Love these engines, even with their early production flaws!!!
Are we having fun yet???

mickeykelley

I agree, they are my favorite of all the Bachmann steams.

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Guys,

36 Ton Shay
81198  Ely-Thomas      Catalog 1996-1998 1st Bachmann Spectrum locomotive
81199  Undecorated      Catalog 1997-1998
81196  Pardee & Curtin  Catalog 1998-1998 updated with more detail early
81197  Undecorated      Catalog 1998-1998
The 36 ton Shays were out of the catalog by 1999. When Bachmann took a product out of the catalog it meant the item had sold out and were no longer available at the Bachmann Warehouse.  Some were still at retail dealers but you generally had to hunt down what you wanted.

Bachmann was battered by the crumbling truck problem with these locomotives and did not rerun any of them.

38 Ton Shay Bachmann
These locomotives first appeared in the 2004 with much fanfare and the new all metal power trucks were on all of these.  2004 was also when the all metal power truck became available as a separate item.

82194 West Side           Catalog 2004-2005 
82195 Ritter lumber       Catalog 2004-2007
82196 Oregon Lumber       Catalog 2004-2007
82197 Ely-Thomas          Catalog 2004-2006
82198 Unlettered Red cab  Catalog 2004-2007  modern version as opposed to 81196 and 81197
82199 Unlettered Black    Catalog 2004-2007  modern version as opposed to 81196 and 81197

1996 to 2011 were heady days and clearly he golden years of 1:20.3 locomotives and rolling stock at Bachmann. The Heislers, Climax, and Davenport locomotives were all released by then. Three truck shays were coming out along with the K-27 2-6-6-2 Mallet. 

I could not keep up with things financially and envied those who could buy one of just about everything.

The bottom line How many were made. Dang if I know because Bachmann never kept records or would not release them to me. This by the way is why in some cases Product numbers were reused or out of sequence.  All you will get is my SWAG.

So here we gooooo!

36 Ton Shay  My SWAG is 8000-9000 made. While widely popular with us foamers it was a disaster financially for Bachmann. The faulty truck problem impacted sales of the follow on 81196 and 81197. When you check on Ebay for shays you will find a lot of 36 Ton Shays on offer so you have to be sure one you want has the replacement power trucks. Replacement Power trucks seem to go from $200-250. 

38 Ton Shay   My SWAG here is 10000-12000.  The 38 ton shays were never re-run so when they were gone that was it. The 82194 sold out the first year, and the Ely-Thomas was next to sell out.  They were no longer in the catalog and Bachmann closed out whatever was left to some of their favorite retailers, who did offer them at bargain prices.  BTW based on a quick look at Ebay I could not find a single 38 ton Shay for sale, just loads of 36 tonners. 

Have fun with your trains!!

Cheers and Beers!!!!!!

Old Loco Bill

wraujr

Is it a fair statement that investing in a 36 ton AND a pair of replacement trucks is an OK move.

Loco Bill Canelos

H wraujr,

Back in the day the street price for the 36 ton 2 truck Shay was $398.  I have seen some on Evilbay for $350 that look fairly good, but say nothing about truck replacement. I would not hesitate to ask the seller if the trucks were replaced.  You might get lucky and the trucks were replaced but the seller does not know it.  I you bought at $350 and added replacement trucks at $235, I would say $535 total price would not be out of line.

But ..... Be darn careful, and if there are missing parts that are critical make sure replacement parts are available. I have made some mistakes in the past and even tho there were many pictures missed some missing parts.  Never be afraid of asking the seller for additional photos.

Take Care

Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Mickey,

Since you have both the new trucks and the old trucks is there any way you can tell the difference between the old style and new style???  I know the new metal ones have the lube plugs, but did the old ones?? 

Bill

Fred2179

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on October 21, 2023, 04:24:05 PMMickey,

Since you have both the new trucks and the old trucks is there any way you can tell the difference between the old style and new style???  I know the new metal ones have the lube plugs, but did the old ones?? 

Bill
Greg has notes on his webpage:
https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/bachmann-motive-power/shay

Basically, the fewer screws visible on the bottom of the truck, the better!  Version 1 36 ton had 8, Vers 2 had 6 screws, and the Vers 3 38T had 4 screws.

mickeykelley

Yes the number of screws is the answer. 4 screws means metal. I think they all have the lube plugs.   Bill, thanks for your effort, information and guess.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mickey, Fred,

Thanks guys, I had forgotten about the screw count method. 

As for the guesses it was kind of fun and based on some old minimum run information and notes I made on the manufacturer. 

wraujr,  Be sure to check the screw count on the bottom of the truck if you venture into the Evilbay world for a 36 tonner!!

Bill

Stokerman

Don't forget that even some of the ones with the "crumbling trucks" may yet be good for extended service. Don't know how much longer mine may last, but I have definitely already gotten my money's worth out of them!

Of course, this is nothing that you can tell from eBay photos and descriptions, nor even be relied upon from the seller's responses to questions you may ask, but it is worth knowing that at least some of the old ones can still run!!!
Are we having fun yet???