News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ez comand plus as a companion

Started by Emt117, December 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emt117

I'm new to this hobby and I've been waiting to run train with a friend of mine who got into the hobby a few months prior to me. We both have Ez comand plus and we have been wondering if its possible to connect them together or if we need to get the walk around companion?

trainman203

You appear to be ready for a more advanced DCC system with seperate cabs, tethered (cheaper but clunky) or wireless (more expensive but complete walkaround freedom.). None of the available systems are cheap but the overall improvement in operational flexibility is incomprehensible. You should keep in mind that EZ command, while being wonderful training wheels for the rank beginner or for train set operations, really isn't intended for more advanced settings like you are  moving towards.

I myself graduated from EZ command to NCE wireless pro Cab after about a year of finding one limitation after another.  And never looked back. Gave the EZ command to a kid who was eternally grateful.  I chose the NCE system after many conversations with other Model railroaders. But they all have their pros and cons, you should do some internet research to check them out.

Ralph S

Your experience in modeling of railroads is similar to mine.  I wanted friends to be able to run separate trains.  Problem back then was that Bachmann did make the "Bachmann walkaround companion".  The walkaround has been discontinued and finding one is very rare today.  I still have my walkaround companions (4 of them) and along with the EZ commands, run trains with my friends and kids without having to move to the more advanced systems. 

Everyone beats up on Bachmann for not supporting the intermediate users (which sounds like where you're headed toward).  Most serious modelers will push or state that moving up to the advanced controllers will provide more than the limitations of Bachmann.  This is true, Bachmann is limited.  But!  (as in my case), being around small kids (less than 4 years old) handing an advanced controller to these little guys will create more problems and headaches for you and the kids.  The  EZ Bachmann controllers and walkaround perform and satisfy these little ones with ease. 

Important: Do not connect two EZ commands and/or EZ command Plus controllers together.  They are not designed to operate that way.  Doing so will damage one or both controllers.    There are ways to connect them but involves many issues that need to be addressed that would fill up this forums topic in order to explain. 

Finally, my advice: Keep the EZ commands separate, even use separate track for each command controller.  You may be able to find the rare walkarounds but what I found, you may find it cheaper to buy the advanced controllers.

trainman203

And you can keep the EZ command units as a separate power supply for various accessories, lighting, etc.

jward

Quote from: Ralph S on January 04, 2024, 12:18:59 PMEveryone beats up on Bachmann for not supporting the intermediate users (which sounds like where you're headed toward).  Most serious modelers will push or state that moving up to the advanced controllers will provide more than the limitations of Bachmann.  This is true, Bachmann is limited.  But!  (as in my case), being around small kids (less than 4 years old) handing an advanced controller to these little guys will create more problems and headaches for you and the kids.  The  EZ Bachmann controllers and walkaround perform and satisfy these little ones with ease. 

The situation you describe would be perfect for a couple of EZ App locomotives controlled by old cell phones. I don't think I've met a kid yet that doesn't know how to play games on a cell phone so they're already familiar with the interface.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

QuoteThe situation you describe would be perfect for a couple of EZ App locomotives controlled by old cell phones.
Interesting!  But after a financial analysis of my current situation, i.e., owning walkarounds, and command controllers (all still functional).  Comparing what I already have with what the EZ App would require, i.e., EZ App loco(s), EZ app software, and smartphone(s).  From that comparison, the cost of purchasing EZ App locomotives, finding old smartphones from Verizon, T-mobile, etc. is not... in my analysis cost effective. 

So to conclude this topic, I'll just state that "Bachmann when they stopped production of their "Walkaround companion" missed an opportunity to include those of us "intermediate modelers". 

jg1125

I have the ez command plus and initially it works great. I am having trouble programming my turntable and other locomotives. My son (5) and I recently bought the 4-8-4 Union Pacific Overland Limited set. When I attempt to program it to a different position on the command plus, I can hear a high pitched noise from the engine, but no movement thereafter. The turntable will run on it's own position. Can anyone help with this problem?

jward

That high pitched squeal you hear is a non DCC locomotive sitting on DCC powered track. RUnning a non DCC locomotive on DCC power can damage the motor, especially if it is left to sit idle. You need to add a decoder to your locomotive to safely run it with your EZ COmmand. Or run it with the DC controller that came with the set.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

This problem comes up so often I wonder if the included instructions state a warning to be careful of which power is in your track.

jg1125

Thank you both for the information. As I understand the directions on the command plus, I should be able to run the turntable, the 2-6-0 Alco (which seems fine on any programmed section), and one of the non-DCC locomotives, but the non-DCC needs to be run on station 0. Is that correct?

Also, knowing that it would void the warranty, how difficult is it to install a decoder? Will it harm the engine?

Thank you.

Jerry

jward

I do not own this locomotive so I can't offer personal experience. The parts drawings give no clue as to if the motor is isolated from the chassis. That is necessary as typically one side of the circuit between the wheels and motor goes through the chassis. Locomotives marked as "DCC Ready" already have an isolated motor, so if yours is marked that way you are in luck.

My experience with other Bachmann steam, notably the 0-6-0s from the train sets, is that the newer ones are DCC ready, and adding a decoder is a simple hardwire job involving 4 wires, 6 if you want a working headlight. These wires are all soldered to a circuit board in the cab, and conversion is merely unsoldering them from the circuit board and resoldering them to the appropriate leads on the decoder. It is worth noting that DCC wiring follows a specific colour code, and that the Bachmann locomotives I've converted, steam and diesel, do not conform to this colour code. As such, when installing the decoder, I suggest working on only one wire at a time so you don't get them mixed up.  If your locomotive has a smoke unit you'll want to make sure you remove it.

If you're lucky, a locomotive will already have a plug n play socket installed. Most common are 8 pin and 21 pin. If yours has a socket, it will have a dummy plug in it for DCC operation. Conversion to DCC is as simple as plugging a decoder with the appropriate number of pins into the socket. 8 pin decoders are usually not sound equipped, 21 pins are for sound.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

QuoteI understand the directions on the command plus, I should be able to run the turntable, the 2-6-0 Alco (which seems fine on any programmed section), and one of the non-DCC locomotives, but the non-DCC needs to be run on station 0. Is that correct?

I can't answer your question since I do not own the new Command Plus.  I believe it may be similar to previous versions of the Command plus.  Take a look see... at this forums' question posed a few days ago, it might help.   Click on this link to go directly to it: 
Running a DC train with the EZ Command plus

Wooglin

Quote from: jg1125 on January 24, 2024, 05:21:37 AMAs I understand the directions on the command plus, I should be able to run the turntable, the 2-6-0 Alco (which seems fine on any programmed section), and one of the non-DCC locomotives, but the non-DCC needs to be run on station 0. Is that correct?

Yes, with the new EZ Command Plus you can run one DC locomotive with button 0.  The older version I have (without the Plus) runs DC on button 10.  Make sure if you are running a DC loco that you don't let it sit idle with track power for too long.  As others have said, this can damage the motor.  The power needs to be used so keep it running, otherwise remove it from the track or unplug track power.