News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What's (Really) Old is New Again

Started by Kevin Strong, January 07, 2024, 11:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

If you have Bachmann's venerable outside frame Consolidation, you have probably seen the video that came with it. That video was filmed on the Woodland Railway (my parents' railroad) outside of Washington DC. Recently, I was gifted the locomotive used in that video--a pre-production version of the 2-8-0. Anyone who knows me knows I can't leave well enough alone, and since I already have an outside frame 2-8-0 on my roster, it seemed fitting to turn this ancient loco into something new and exciting. Drawing inspiration from an O scale conversion kit for Bachmann's On30 version of this loco, I rebuilt it into a 2-8-2T.

It was interesting diving into this loco from a historical perspective. First, the loco was made from either blue or white plastic--apparently whatever the manufacturer had excess of to test-shoot the molds. It was then painted to the appropriate colors. Second, the cab did not have any rivet detail on it. Apparently it was added to the production models after this one was done. Also, the dreaded "split gear" syndrome did not strike this loco despite it being the first (or among the earliest) models of this loco made. Having said that, the gear is also made from a different material--black plastic of some variety as opposed to the white. And while it had not split, it did slip on the axle, so I replaced it with the new brass gear/axle replacement set. It runs very smoothly now.

Paint will be forthcoming, but it's winter and if I do any painting, it's with an airbrush, which requires me to clear a spot in my basement which is currently filled with Christmas decoration boxes awaiting return to our crawlspace.

I have a post on Facebook with more photos and descriptions. It's "public," so you shouldn't need to have a Facebook account to view it.

Facebook Link

Later,

K

DavidP

Hi Kevin,

nice work - look forward to seeing it painted and weathered..........

is it dead rail with RC or DC track power?)

Cheers,

David P
Melbourne, Australia

Kevin Strong

It will be dead rail. I've been using the Blunami control boards from Soundtraxx lately. I'm quite pleased with them. Great sound and motor control, and the range is better than I get with my Airwire-based controls.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Nice work Kevin!  Great to have you back on the forum.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Stokerman

Wow Kevin ..... you certainly have taken that one to the next level!

VERY NICE!!!
Are we having fun yet???