adding an additional power pack to an enlarged layout. Is this OK?

Started by terry60523, January 29, 2008, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry60523

I have two separate N scale train sets.  Both use EZ track and have identical power pack speed controllers.  I'm thinking about combining the two sets into a single larger layout and run both trains [Empire Builder] and [I forget] on the same large layout.
Question:  can I use two rerailer/power packs/speed controllers on a single large layout?  How do I adjust the speed of the two trains so one doesn't overtake the other?
You can see I'm a rookie at this hobby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks,

the Bach-man

Dear Terry,
You will need special wiring and blocking called cab control. You can get many books explaining this at your local hobby shop.
Alternatively, consider DCC.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

taz-of-boyds

terry60523,

The first choice the Bach-man is referring to uses gaps in the rails to make separate electrical blocks of track.  These are small gaps the trains can run over, but electricity will not flow.  Two-way switches (so to speak) are used to switch the blocks between the two power packs depending on which train is in the block.  This may seem a little complex, but you should do just fine if you study the books the Bach-man is referring to.

DCC basically installs a tiny computer in each locomotive, and uses a special controller for DCC.  The wiring can be simple, like wiring for one train set.  The complicated part is installing the DCC in the locomotives.  But basically each locomotive gets its own address, and the DCC controller sends messages to each locomotive for speed, lights and potentially all kinds of stuff and even sound. It can be very flexible.

But what will help a bunch is to study the books the Bach-man is referring to.  There are tons of material on the web too if you do some searches and wade through the material.

Charles

GlennW

Kalmbach has a nice book on wiring your railroad. If you go the DC route with 2 cabs, you will need it.

You could also check out Ntrak & the NTrak Manual. Many Ntrak layouts have 1 DC controller to power each line. Then you can run one line EB while the other goes WB.

Mr B is correct. In DC, each cab must be electrically isolated from the other. You also need to check polarity if you switch from one cab to the other.

Dream Plan Build just did a nice entry level DVD on DCC control. There may be other video instructions from the DCC manufacturers to help you get started.

Dave_W6DPS

You might also do a search at your local public library.

Our library in Riverside County, CA, has an online search for books at all the various (20+) locations and allows you to request any regular items to be transferred to your local branch.  I like to read from a variety of sources, but not buy them all.

I would recommend this book as great place to start:
The complete Atlas wiring book : all scales (from Z to No. 1).

The Dewey decimal system ID for model railroads is 625.19.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

terry60523

:-*

Thanks for the feedback.  The DCC route seems like the right way to go.

I have purchased yet a third complete N scale set [Explorer] and a set of switch tracks, so I am anxious to get going on combining the three sets into a single layout on a 5 foot by 10 foot platform.

PS.  I was very pleased that the train has never jumped the tracks when passing through the switch tracks.  I was concerned that the tolerances on N scale would be a real problem [headache] but the train has passed over the switchtracks in both directions over 100 times now without a derailment.  Very impressive quality for very little money!
Thanks again,
Terry60523