A really nice modern American!

Started by SteamGene, February 19, 2008, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Take a look at this little beauty!  The tender is a bit old fashioned, but...
http://www.scenicrailroads.net/

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

Johnson Bar Jeff

Ooo-eee! Nice photos--especially that action shot!

I've got a color photo of #98 and a two-car train hanging above me at my desk here at work, even as I write this.

(The photo over my desk was the back cover of a tourist railroads directory years ago.)

TonyD

What's so old fashioned about his thing Gene? The Canadian Paciic had a couple of these still going in New Brunswick as FT's and PA's were going to the big roundhouse in the sky... looks like the spectrum and IHC jobs doesn't it? I think the tenders 'grew' with time, and shrunk back when restored, I bet the tenders on those CPR guys weighed more than the engine... where is this girl? I couldn't open the home page,,,,, the more of this stuff I see, the more diesels go back on the shelf.....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Guilford Guy

B&M had a few until 1947. The coaches look to be ex-B&M cars, can anyone confirm this?
Alex

SteamGene

I know a few railroads had smooth top tenders until the end, but it was an old design.  The fuel bunker became raised somewhere around the turn of the last century (19th to 20th).
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 19, 2008, 02:55:47 PM
B&M had a few until 1947. The coaches look to be ex-B&M cars, can anyone confirm this?

It sticks in my mind that I read somewhere years ago that the Wilmington & Western coaches were old Reading equipment, but I couldn't say that's true under oath.

From my one visit to the W&W, I also seem to remember that the coaches are from the period where the steps were still "outdoors," with just a narrow, covered passage between the cars. But sometimes memory plays tricks. ...  ;D

Guilford, I guess you know a number of Boston & Maine open-platform cars have been at the Strasburg Railroad since the early 1960s?

Guilford Guy

Yep, and theres a few at Steamtown. Then theres a bunch privately owned... :)
Alex

TonyD

I have no reference near me, but I THINK the exposed steps but a passageway with diaphrams and doors was called 'an open vestibule' between old open platforms and the closed vestibule, which is the newer system with dutch doors and diamond plate over the steps....which, at one time you could lean out of and take nice snapshots....ancient history.....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Guilford Guy

Yes, open vestibule cars... Of course, if you got people, you can still get pix out the vestibule.  ;)
Alex

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: TonyD on February 21, 2008, 12:39:47 AM
I have no reference near me, but I THINK the exposed steps but a passageway with diaphrams and doors was called 'an open vestibule' between old open platforms and the closed vestibule, which is the newer system with dutch doors and diamond plate over the steps....which, at one time you could lean out of and take nice snapshots....ancient history.....

Thanks! Nice to know there's a name for that arrangement! Always good to learn something new about trains!  :D

ebtnut

I believe the cars with No. 98 are in fact what were referred to as "Booneton" cars.  They were used in commuter service on the old Lackawanna lines in North Jersey.  IIRC, they became surplus back in the '70's when new equipment came on line, and a lot of tourist lines bought them 'cause they were cheap (at the time), essentially still road-worthy, and had that antique appearance, especially with the open vestibules. 

Guilford Guy

Who wants to go on a roadtrip to look at some passenger trucks?
Alex

Yampa Bob

I'm guessing that is the same "Historic Rails" I mentioned earlier?

Nice picture.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

Gene and all;
on the Hitler Channel (history) this evening, there was the story about the road to Key West; and a part of the program was inclusive of the Florida East Coast railroad.  They had the biggest darned American on that line I have ever seen!!  Wow!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!