News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Impact of the Dollar Drop

Started by ebtnut, February 25, 2008, 01:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

One thing I have noticed about Bachmann's board, It is sure easy to get off of the subject.  It would be nice if we stayed on the right track.

TonyD

Hey chuffnpuff, did you talk to a lawyer? If this is as simple as it sounds, a deal with bose might be possible, either a royalty from your units, or you selling a model RR idea to bose for- royalties or? I guess there's always room for one more sound system... or a stab at one....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Clear Block

The idea of installing a bose sound system would be great if bose actually participates in doing so.
My worry would be that the addition of a bose sound system would price any sound loco out of the general market.   As it is now sound is expensive, asking $450.00 for a K4 because it has sound in it and DCC is kind of ridiculous.

If a negotiation could be done and a bose system installed at a reasonable price then I say go for it, It's all the more market for bose if it can go wide spread.

chuffnpuff do you have a you tube clip of this sound system in operation I would love to hear it?

chuff_n_puff

Clear Block,
                   No, I don't have a tube clip of it, but I was experimenting around with another idea before I started on the Bose idea that worked good. I used an old Vacuum cleaner handle, which has an inside diameter of 1", and used it for a baffle. I cut it into 2 pieces, mounting the speaker about center and made the whole length the length of the inside of a box car. I connected them together with JB Weld. The thin wall rigidity is the secret to the volume. You can adjust bass/treble by positioning of speaker in tubes. The more length behind the speaker, the more bass, but you have to be careful, as you only have about a couple of inches you can play with while adjusting sound. If I could locate some more Titanium tubing, like I had years ago, it would really improve the volume in this system, as it was as thin walled as sheet of paper.

Atlantic Central

Chuff,

It is very true that the enclosure has a lot to do with how a speaker sounds, I have designed many such systems and successfully built them.

BUT no HO loco has a large enough internal volume to allow any type of pipe, labyrinth (this is what Bose uses in the radio), horn, vented box, etc, to reproduce ANY tone in the lowest third of the frequencies that can be heard by the human ear.

The problem is not volume, the problem is tone - you know, base notes vs treble notes. Real locomotives make lots of deep base note noises - no two 1" speakers, in any enclosure that will fit in an HO tender, can produce a tone at 150 Hz, let alone one at 30 hz. So, to any one who knows the difference, all these sound systems sound tinny, like a stereo with the base turned off.

RAM,

It is called CONVERSATION - you are not the fourm police, if the Bach Man needs help moderating he will call you - don't hold your breath.

Sheldon

RAM

Sheldon, I didn't say I was the fourm police.  I just made a comment.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I have not been on the board much over the past two weeks and just started reading this thread this morning.
        I want to address the issue of sound.   I agree that any manufacturer who is going to offer sound equipped engines should make a non-sound model available also
        I also agree that the sound in models comes no where close to the real thing for a lot of reasons.
        What I do not understand is the the tirades you guys go on that do not like sound.   To what avail?   If you do not like sound engines so be it.   I cannot see the why,  over and over again you same few just rail away about this subject.   
        Obviously,  sound matters to more of us out here than you and that is why the manufactures are offering more and more products with sound.  Kick back,  enjoy you non sound engines and put more time in contacting the manufactures directly to express your views.

Respectfully,

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

Bob,

I can only skeak for myself. i do not consider my posts tirades by any standard. I do repeat my opinion from time to time when the subject is brought up because:

Many manufacturers do read these fourms.

Many who like sound fail to understand why anyone would not.

Just like my position on DCC, I am not against sound, in fact if I was modeling in a larger scale where it sounds better (not perfect, just enough better) I would have it in all my locos.

In the future I plan to experiment with layout based sound for HO to see if it can be effective. So I'm not anti sound at all, just anti squalky 1" speakers in HO tenders.

Thank you for your expression of the position that manufacturers should offer both. I'm sure lots of them monitor this and other forums.

Fact - Every manufacturer in this hobby that attempted a policy of offering only sound/DCC has retreated to offering both quiet DC and sound/DCC. I have no industry stats on sound loco sales, but I do have such info on DCC use. To date the industry estimates only 25% of modelers actively purchasing rolling stock/locos are using DCC. I would guess sound sales are not any higher.

While sound and DCC may be hot topics on here because they are new, and, admittedly many new people in the hobby are attracted to and interested in them, they are both far from "taking over" the industry or the hobby.

Have you ever been to medium sized layout with four of five of those things going at once - its an instant head ache in my opinion - at any volume.

Sheldon