News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by hgcHO, February 27, 2008, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Does anybody make the old 1010?

The one that used to pull Death Valley Scotty private business car via the Santa Fe.

TonyD

Not RTR, but I believe MDC/ Roundhouse made that series for years, as a kit- YOU had to paint and number it....on ebay now and then....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

andrechapelon

Quote from: TonyD on February 27, 2008, 11:12:04 PM
Not RTR, but I believe MDC/ Roundhouse made that series for years, as a kit- YOU had to paint and number it....on ebay now and then....

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the MDC engine, although it looks nice, is incorrect for a Santa Fe 1000 class. ALL Santa Fe 2-6-2's had the main rod going to the #2 driver, not the #3 as in the MDC kit. Also, the kit has 63" drivers. The 1000, 1050, 1800 class Prairies had 69" drivers.

http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/SF1010.JPG 

1800 class:

http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/SF1828.JPG

Andre

hgcHO

Great job on retrieving that 1010.  Saved photo.

Thanks   HGC

japasha

1010 is a large locomotive for that wheel arrangement. Andre hit the nail on the head, the MDC is incorrect in a couple of important areas, it is about 10% too short. Itt can be made into a reasonable model, but it is not prototypical. The kit was originally a Santa Fe 4-4-2 made into a 2-6-2.

Hallmark did make a scale model but those are very rare.

ta152h0

RAM

The Santa Fe did have two 2-6-2s with 63 in drivers.  The MDC boiler was a boiler for the 4-4-2.  The 1800s were nice engines.  I think it was the last active steam locomotive that I was in on the Stanta Fe.  Two things that I wonder about the 1010.  I really think that it was an oil burner and they put coal on top of the oil tank for the movie, because every one know that a steam locomotive uses coal.  I wonder why it was painted red.

SteamGene

RAM,
Roads that used oil also used coal in the eastern areas quite frequently.  Many locos started as coal burners, were converted to oil and then went back to coal.  Some did it several times.  So the Santa Fe 1010 could have been both at one time or another.  The black and white shot shows it to be a coal burner. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Gene I know that the Santa Fe used coal east of Kansas City as well as other locations and that locomotives were changed from coal to oil and sometimes back.  However to me it looks like it has an oil tank with coal on top of it.  Now as far as the rad paint job. I found out that it was for a GE commercial.  #564 and 565 had 63 inch drivers. 

TonyD

Like the man said, does anyone make the model? and I guess the answer is no, 'not yet' but the mdc's were- in those days, the beginning of a project to make a particular series of-whatever you needed. It seems they always came with the rods on the wrong axle, with wrong diameter, wrong valve gear or valve type, but that all got changed on the workbench, my pet peeve were the cast on domes.....they weren't goin' noplace....lately, I gave up kibashing these things 'cause someone will mass produce exactly what I want within a year....but the old kits WERE based on one of the SF- or SP?? praires...how close to which one?????? But the price was right, ran better than brass-and the only game in town.... and the people who wanted Harriman types, these were for them too... I bet they are resurrected, better than ever, one of these days....   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

hgcHO

Thanks TonyD   

HGC

GN.2-6-8-0

Have to say thats a heck of a paint job....maybe thats where John Allen got the idea for his red engine.
all those here who know who John Allen was raise your hands... ;D
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

"I answer for him."
Gene
(Now, where did that come from?"  ;D
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hgcHO

OK, - Who is John Allen?

HGC

ta152h0

John Allen is the guy that invented the Allen wrench.