Automatic transmission fluid

Started by SteamGene, March 21, 2008, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Gene
Ok, I'll bite.  What the heck is IIRC?

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

If I remember correctly.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Out in the garden, the cheapest type of rail is aluminum.  Some of us swear by it.  Others swear at it.  Those of us who swear by it know the problems that can occur with track powered trains when you forget to oil the rails.  Locomotive wheels rolling over bits of dust arc when they break contact with the rails.  The arcing pits the wheels and leaves aluminum oxide on the rails.  Aluminum oxide is an excellent insulator.  So next time the locomotive passes over the same spot, the arcing occurs again as the wheels hit the aluminum oxide.  With each pass of the locomotive, the patch of aluminum oxide grows until the locomotive stalls at that spot.  Cleaning the rails helps somewhat, but the pitting of the wheels and the rails guarantees that arcing and pitting will start again, and sooner each time the rails are cleaned.  Now we know the frustration of the people who swear at aluminum rails.

Those of us in the know add a tiny bit of oil to the rails, typically one drop on each rail every 100 feet.  This is enough to suppresses arcing for an evening of railroading.  For a day long show, adding more oil may be necessary after three of four hours running.  Seeing the headlight start to flicker is a sign that it is time for more oil.  We still have to clean track.  We have to pick up twigs, cut back vines, and remove those presents left by the dogs.  We still have to run a pole sander over the rails, usually once a year after the snow has melted.  Last year I had to use the pole sander a second time because I was unable to run trains for a couple of months in the summer.  Otherwise, as long as I run once or twice a week, oil is enough to keep the rails clean.

So why don't the rails collect a lot of dust?  I am not sure, but I suspect that stickiness, like slipperiness and insulating properties all change when you are dealing with layers of oil that are only a few molecules thick.   That drop of oil per 100 feet of track is only about 0.00001 inches thick once spread out.  Fine dust (fine like cement powder) is about twice this size, so this also might play a part.

However the oil works, the important thing is that it does work.  Just don't use too much.  Summer will come to the frozen north eventually, and just for the heck of it, this year I will try Gene's automatic transmission fluid.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

when I had the duty, despite being ill myself. 

Gene;
At the risk of being called stupid, what "duty" had you?  Is there a hierachy here of which I am not aware?
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Remember something about a leash?  I was just playing on that.  After all, somebody has to hold or manage the leash, right?   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

OD usually means officer on duty.  Around here it's called officer of the dummy.  Tell Alex the Troll Spray doesn't work.  Please take my name off the duty roster and call the S.P.C.A.

Bob

SteamGene

Bob, in the Army it's Officer of the Day, in the Navy, Officer of the Deck.  :D  You realizes that decreases the roster.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Gene:
Yes, we knew it as officer of the day also. However some of the 90 day wonders we had didn't know what day it was.   :D   I think it's time for Rich to pull duty, don't you think? 

Bob 

r.cprmier

I think it's time for Rich to pull duty, don't you think? 

Gee; thanks, Bob.  I think.

Rich
Rich

Running Bear

Be careful using ATF as a track cleaner. Some types actually attack plastic while others (Dexron Mercon comes to mind) are plastic compatible. Any type of ATF WILL make the rails slick and is a dust collector of the worst kind. Been there and done that.
Running Bear

r.cprmier

Rich

Woody Elmore

I tried the transmission fluid and it worked but now my car won't go!

fieromike

Quote from: r.cprmier on March 26, 2008, 03:05:44 PM
Why not just stick to Wahl's?
Nah, too easy!
I read somewhere that it is a prerequisite of being a forumite to reinvent the wheel on a periodic basis.

G,D,&R
Mike

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

At the risk of being branded a "cross threader," I will add that my diesel mechanic friend uses this stuff as fuel injector cleaner, about 1 oz/gal fuel for diesel or gasoline.  I have used it in my older gas engines and it seems to do a nice job.

Of course, you use this stuff at your own risk, as I will not be responsible for an engine rebuild if you go overboard and use gallons of the stuff! ;D

Best Wishes,

Jack

WoundedBear

Quote from: jsmvmd on March 27, 2008, 10:57:31 AM
Dear Friends,

At the risk of being branded a "cross threader," I will add that my diesel mechanic friend uses this stuff as fuel injector cleaner, about 1 oz/gal fuel for diesel or gasoline.  I have used it in my older gas engines and it seems to do a nice job.

Of course, you use this stuff at your own risk, as I will not be responsible for an engine rebuild if you go overboard and use gallons of the stuff! ;D

Best Wishes,

Jack

LOL.....I'm a serious hotrodder.......we pour a litre or two down the carb throats of old engines that are all carboned up. Run 'em at a 2000 RPM idle and drizzle the ATF through the primary bores.....cleans out the combustion chambers nicely.

Add a half litre to the crankcase oil to help a sticky lifter too.

Sid