News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Suggestions!

Started by Gunslinger87, March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clear Block

I would like to see some small/medium steam along the lines of a PRR E6 4-4-0 and PRR G5s 4-6-0,  these engines would go great with heavyweight passenger cars on period layouts say into the 1940's and for you 2-8-0 fans a PRR H9/H10 is needed for the freight service.  Just like ATSF SP and UP the PRR is a large portion of the market.

I would like to see more steam that could fit on the average users layout. There are too many articulated and FEFs out there that are limited to the larger layouts.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Gunslinger87 on March 24, 2008, 09:12:27 PM
Well, I'm still in favorof the Rogers. Although I was not aware that Mantua was still producing it. Even if on ocasion.

I don't believe the engine is in production right now. Of course, Mantua model trains, per se, no longer exists, but Model Power is producing its "Mantua Classics" line. Perhaps they will issue a retooled Rogers some day; I understand they are supposed to issue a retooled "General" at some point. The Rogers still regularly appears on eBay, even, occasionally, the late-model can-motor version, which is an excellent runner.

Quote from: Clear Block on March 25, 2008, 07:50:25 AM
I would like to see some small/medium steam along the lines of a PRR E6 4-4-0 and PRR G5s 4-6-0.

Clear Block, I'm sure that's just a typo, above; the E-6 was a 4-4-2. Still, the E-6 and the G-5 are excellent recommendations, and speaking of 4-4-0s, since Bachmann now has the mechanism for a "modern" 4-4-0 "as built" and "as modernized," how about as as-built and modernized PRR D16?

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 24, 2008, 02:47:29 PM
Depends on your age. Hopalong Cassidy was my favorite, ah those were the days.  I met Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey and Smiley Burnett, got to ride "Ringeye".  Local theatre used to bring them in for promotion.   I loved the trains used in their movies.

Bob

Bob, I'm sure you remember, Smiley Burnett was also Charlie Pratt, engineer of the Hooterville Cannonball.  :D

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WoundedBear on March 25, 2008, 12:56:37 PM
I'd like to see a 2-4-4-2 logging Mallet.

http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/list/lr126/wing-deepriver7.jpg

Sid

I would second this request.  Fine running mates for the Climax and Shay engines.

Note how fast the recent Mantua Classic 2-6-6-2's sold out, orders now being taken for the next production run.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Jeff
He sure looked different with white hair, and without the squished hat.  I mispelled his name, has an "e" on the end. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jsmvmd

Dear Bob,

I was a big fan of Smiley Burnette, too, and his sidekick who always burned the wood cross ties!

My Old Man used to call me Smiley!  My wife calls me something else!  ::)

Gunslinger87

From, WoundedBear.
"I'd like to see a 2-4-4-2 logging Mallet."

That would be a great addition to Bachmann's Fleet but didn't logging roads use 4-4-0s, 2-6-0s, and even 2-4-0s as well! 

Oooh, a 19th Century 2-6-0 would make a very nice model!

Also, I knew that Model Power was Re-tooling the Mantua models. I also have one of the Tycoo 4-6-0s as well. And from personal experiance, have found both makes to be very similar. So if Bachmann were to produce a Spectrum model of it, its garentied to be of higher quality, not to mention that most likely it would ave complete cab interior.

japasha

The Roger 4-6-0 #3 of the Sierra Railroad would be a great model, but we need a SCALE version. Arbour models did it in scale but it was a difficult pewter kit to assemble and get to run correctly.

The Mantua model is about 15% too large. But lets also ask for some period rolling stock that's also prototypical to go with the 4-6-0 and the Ma And Pa locomotives. #3 isn't a large engine by any stretch but historical as it has appeared in almost as many movies as V&T #11, which by itself would be a nice scal Spectrum replacement for the dinky 4-4-0s noww offered.

Gunslinger87

Agreed! I have noticed that the Mantua 4-6-0 in a bit large. And Bachmann's 4-4-0s are a bit small. So I think that if Bachmann made Spectrum models of their "Old 4-4-0s" that they would be Fantastic models.

Clear Block

It was a typo I was thinking about the the D16sb correct.
the E6-4-4-2 would also be a good model.

But on a side note I must also add that Bachmann could make a killing with doing some motors,
DD1 electric
or MP54s
or the EL emu's

Gunslinger87

Another good pre 1900 loco would be I.C.R.R.'s #201, a Standard Gauge 2-4-4 Forney! An extremely atractive locomotive if I do say so my self. It would be right at home on any Shortline, Commuter, or small RR/Layout.

polekat62

I would like to suggest maybe you could come out with a few British Columbia Forest company,s roadnames.  I would like to mention that of the total production of Pacific Coast Shays 24, built by Lima, 17 operated in British Columbia .    thanks

Yampa Bob

I don't care what my wife calls me as long as she calls me for dinner.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

Gunslinger,
I would like to purchase BOTH of the OLD 4-4-0's  like in the "Golden Spike" celebration.  I have looked at the ones that Bachmann did.  They just look too "Toy Like"....  A Spectrum quality set of these 2 would be great!!

Of course while we are at it....

How about a  GN P-2 Class 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain?  No one has done this in plastic....  I NEED 4 to pull my 1920's Empire Builder Passenger trains.  I already have all the rolling stock, MINUS the Engines.... :'(

hotrainlover

kevin2083

Something I have not seen modeled yet is an ALCO/GE/IR 60 ton boxcab diesel. I don't think that I could possibly do one myself.

here's a pic
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/kevin2083/12-1-07/?action=view&current=IMG_3296.jpg

and 1 more
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/kevin2083/12-1-07/?action=view&current=IMG_3304.jpg

This is the white spot above the rear truck
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/kevin2083/12-1-07/?action=view&current=IMG_3305.jpg

That 2-4-4-2 looks pretty nice too.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||