Locomotive Suggestions!

Started by Gunslinger87, March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

____                  __________=
  ____----- |   |----|| =       |[] [] [][] |
|_______|_|__|___|_|       _|________|_
-o--o o--o      0---0'''`-       ""0=0    0=0""

SMALL STEAM. we have enough big mainline steam, but not very many people have big enough layouts to run them on. I still want my 0-4-0 (t?). As for diesels, I could go for an early boxcab. I'm done now.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Michael J. Caboose

What constitutes small steam?

I do agree, we need a modern, generic 2-6-0. A spectrum USRA 0-6-0.

BUT bachmann has made plenty of small steam. Hell, even their articulated was a small design.

I say medium steam. We have the USRA Mikes covered through many companies.

We need Pacifics, URSA Light Mountains (Did Bachmann make a light mountain? I find no evidence of one in HO anywhere).

I hate to say it, and I'll probably have to wait until MTH does it, but I want a 4-12-2 in plastic. I don't care if it can't round anything less than a 30" curve but I want it done!
Wishful thinking I guess.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Michael J. Caboose on February 01, 2009, 02:04:08 AM
What constitutes small steam?

I do agree, we need a modern, generic 2-6-0. A spectrum USRA 0-6-0.

BUT bachmann has made plenty of small steam. Hell, even their articulated was a small design.

I say medium steam. We have the USRA Mikes covered through many companies.

We need Pacifics, URSA Light Mountains (Did Bachmann make a light mountain? I find no evidence of one in HO anywhere).

I hate to say it, and I'll probably have to wait until MTH does it, but I want a 4-12-2 in plastic. I don't care if it can't round anything less than a 30" curve but I want it done!
Wishful thinking I guess.

Checkout the Trainworld ad in Model Railroader, you will see the Bachmann Light Mountain advertised every month or of course if you checked out e-Bay as well.
I have a couple of these and they run quite, pull well and have good slow speed control.

Pacific Northern

Michael J. Caboose

You know that is the only evidence I've ever seen of an HO Light mountain. I wish I could find one, cause Trainworld never has them. Trainworld rarely has anything in stock it seems.

Yampa Bob

I have the most fun with my diminutive Roundhouse 2-6-0 Southern Pacific. Whisper quiet, smooth running and pulls 15 cars with ease. Super bright light front and rear.  I like to run it in the dark, it's a blast.

These are a bit hard to find separately, mostly sold now as a set with 4 Overland cars, EZ track and Athearn controller. Installing a DH123 was a snap, the decoder fits underneath the circuit board instead of on top.

For small steam I rate it a 10++.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

How about something different, like a 5-7-3 or a 3-9-9-3?

ajp3751

Yoy will have to develop a new type of track for that arrangement.

My vote is for light steam. Four or six coupled drivers that doesn't follow a USRA design and is a spectrum quality model. I need a small steamer to pull light mixed freights. I have a 2-8-2, a 4-6-2, and a 2-8-0, but I am looking for a 2-6-0, 2-6-2, or even a modern 4-4-2 like ATSF's. Making a model that isn't already made (pdlethbridge's point )would mean a one of a kind for bachmann and more sales instead of another bigboy or northern. Bigboys and northerns are made often because there is proven sales because of their popularity, but a small modeler needs a smaller branch line engine or even something to move cars around in a yard. USRA types are chosen because many roads used the type and that model can apeal to a larger group of modelers. Unfortunatley, many of us don't model a line that uses many USRA types. Maybe a generic type from a specific manufacturer would work.

pipefitter

My wish is for the CN "Zebra" paint scheme on GP and SD series locos. I saw lots of them while on an 80's vacation in the Canadian Rockies where the highways and railroads travel through the river valleys. One would frequently see long grain trains, CP Rail "Pac Mans" on one side of the river and CN Zebras on the other, mostly SD-40's. The long trains had mid train helper sets and pushers on the end. I have Bachmann CP Rail multimark units.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/rail/70s_slides/file048.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlmQgo5TWY (love the sound of the old EMD 567's)

BTW, I'm new here. Apologies if it's not appropriate to bring up an old thread, but this one looked interesting and just what I was looking for. Let me know... Thanks

Cheers, Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

jbsmith

NYC Hudson 4-6-4
PM Pacific     4-6-2
PM Mikado    2-8-2

a RETURN of the painted unlettered 2-6-2!

ebtbob

Being my lazy self today,  I have not read all the previous suggestions,  so pardon me for any duplicates.
     I would love to see an N&W 4-8-0 such as the one at Strasburg.  Also would love to see a Pennsy L-1 mikado and a Pennsy B class steam switcher with a slope backed tender.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtbob on December 31, 2009, 03:54:46 PM
I would love to see an N&W 4-8-0 such as the one at Strasburg.

I think Strasburg's mogul would make a nice model, too.  It's a small engine, but it's got all the "modern" equipment like piston valves.

The little consolidation that runs--or used to run--on the New Hope & Ivyland would make a nice model, too.

Hellhound

I would like to see some 4 wheel switcher locomotives in both diesel and steam.
There aren't many of those on the market today and the few that are available are throwbacks to the 1970s and don't run very good. They are geared way too fast, have a 3 pole motor and only drive 2 wheels. Some of them also have rubber drive tires which cause poor electrical contact. The best small switcher I have found is the Roundhouse EMD40 which is now out of production. The EMD40 is all wheel drive and heavy enough to get good traction without drive tires. It also has a 5 pole motor with a flywheel. It is very smooth and a good puller for such a small locomotive. EMD40, http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/chs1309.jpg

Here is one I would like to see modeled,  Brookville DES70B center cab http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/mn404.jpg

Or one of these, GE 25 ton http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=87429

Industrial steam loco, 0-4-0T http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_nhtr43.jpg

Rashputin

I think there is another thread like this or I just can't find one of my posts on this one.  For new engines to produce I think Bachmann is really missing a good thing if they don't take the boiler from there K4 Pacific and produce a PRR L1 Mikado.  The real ones used the same boilers as the K4 so it seems like a natural.  It's also one of the engines PRR fans most often lament not having available.

Personally, though, a Spectrum NYC L2 series Mohawk or Spectrum NYC H10b Mike (which might have broader appeal than the Mohawks, sad to say) would be my ideal.  I think the NYC engines are among the best looking no matter what era or size you like.  Even the NYC 0-8-0 with a switching style tender would be welcome IMHO since I don't much care for the few 0-8-0 engines I have been able to find and look over.

Regards

ABC

IHC makes an 0-8-0 switcher, it runs pretty good and only set me back $30, all you need to do is switch out the Magic-Mates for Kadees.