Wiring for EZ command automatic reverse loop module

Started by r.b.tyler, April 22, 2008, 11:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.b.tyler

I would like to know how to wire auto loop module for an Atlas turn table. Where do you put the ez track powered re-railer, at the approach to the turn table? I will have 4 spurs off of the turn table, not sure how they should be wired to the auto loop module, and how do you wire loop to the turn table? Also, I don't think you need to use the 9"
power terminal with insulated gap(item #44597) as there is a gap from the turn table to each spur, is this correct or do I need #44597, and if so where do I place them? I am a first time model rail roader, and am as green as the grass. Help!!

Jim Banner

You do not say exactly which Atlas turn table you have, so I will assume it is the model #305.  This turntable uses a "split ring" design which means it does not need a reverser module to work.  The polarity of the track on the turn table bridge reverses automatically as you turn the bridge.

If you look at the square attachment to the round turntable base (the square part is where the crank or motor is attached) you will see a silver screw hole on each side just where the outside of the square touches the round base.  These are where you feed track power to the rails on the turntable bridge.  If you have a track power rerailer in the track leading to the turntable then you can use it as a place to pick up power for bridge track connections, that is, the screw holes talked about above.  I cannot remember if the screws come with the turn table.  If not, they are the same size that Atlas uses to connect the wires to their switch machines.

If you connect the wires backwards, all that will happen is that the track will be shorted when you try to drive a locomotive onto the turn table.  If that happens, just reverse the wires or the plug (but NOT both.)

The stub tracks, that is, the short tracks that are accessible only by using the turn table, each need power fed to them as well.  If your track power rerailer is the double sided kind, then you can plug a second wire in the other side of it and connect the other end of that wire to the nearest stub track.  Using double sided track power rerailers, one for each stub track, allows you to make the electrical connections without having to do any soldering.  Then from the other side of the track power rerailer on the first stub, you can use another wire to connect to the second stub track.  And so on until all the stub tracks are connected.

At this point, you might have the stub tracks plugged in right way around and you might not.  So try to drive a locomotive off the turn table onto the first stub track.  If it causes a short circuit, then reverse the connection to that stub.  Then go on to the second stub track.  It is important to test the stub tracks, one at a time, and in the order that you connected them up.

If you leave a slight gap between the ends of the turn table rails and the ends of the other rails, that is all the gapping you need. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.b.tyler

Thanks for your help, the guy at my local hobby shop told me I need the auto loop module, which I have opened to read instructions, well there is another $50.00 wasted.

Jim Banner

Quote from: r.b.tyler on April 25, 2008, 08:29:35 AM
...  well there is another $50.00 wasted.

Maybe not.  Layouts tend to expand over time and when yours does so, it may well include a return loop or a wye or some other application where an auto reverser will fit right in.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.